High IQ, making friends and influencing people.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Bank and social security fraud.

What in the FUCK?

You gotta give us a full story here. You sound like a character in a shitty Ben Affleck movie.

Also, when in jail was your butthole an Intro or Extrovert?

Edit - This is very relevant because if you were raped a bunch in prison it might not be an issue of IQ, it might be that you cant make eye contact with men again until you are able to assert your dominance.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I used to think I was too smart to have good conversations with "regular" people, but then I realized I was just boring and I had nothing to talk about that people cared about.

Once I got into football my ability to have successful social interactions with people skyrocketed, although I still struggle Feb - Apr and through most of the summer. No one wants to talk about shitty baseball.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah, that's the thing.

I knew a guy who was into comic books to a ridiculous Sheldon Cooper IRL level. It's kind of the lens through which he tried to talk to everyone. Nobody wants to talk about comic books, man. Well that's not entirely true. But the sort of people who do want to talk about comic books hang around in a comic book store. So if you want to talk about comic books, you should go there to do it.

The thing about stage and television is that it's scripted. What people really want to do mostly IRL is either complain or gossip. So learn how to hook into that and you'll be everybody's friend. Or, you know... don't. People will notice and every once in a while someone will seek you out because they don't want to complain or gossip today. But you need to be ok with the fact that it's only going to be every once in a while that happens.

• 2Like

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I am wondering if others on this board with high IQ's have similar issues? Also, I did not attend college, so I understand I probably missed an important time for developing friendships with people of intelligence. I am not asking for advice on making friends, my time is already demanding with family and as an introvert enjoy my alone time. I would just like to know if people have the same issues and if you have taken the mensa written what IQ level you might be also.
I think most intelligent people have the ability to interact socially. My confusion is how people cope with those interactions. Yes, I am introverted that's why in the OP I said I'm not looking for advise on making friends. I'm good with that part. I'm more asking if others feel a lack of desire because personal intolerance of lower IQ people begins to grow and pushes you to create distance? If that makes sense. On the flip to that I find my intolerance levels are much higher if someone is witty.

Everyone thinks they're intelligent. For some it's a high IQ, and I used to think this too. For some it's education. For some it's common sense or street smarts. For some it's success. For some it's achieving happiness and/or contentment. Few people think that they're actually dumb, and those who do will point to some other aspect of themselves instead and diminish the importance of being smart.

Reality is that you're probably fucking dumb. You might be "smart" and have a high IQ, but you're probably not intelligent. Being intelligent requires deliberate effort and practice; people are not just "naturally" intelligent by virtue of their brain. If you consistently fail to achieve your goals, cannot eke out a life that you're at least content with, and find yourself unable to cope with human interaction... I've got bad news: you're probably not intelligent. If you don't make time to pursue broad learning and don't actually challenge yourself to learn you are probably not even intellectual let alone intelligent.

There are ultra nerdy super aspy weirdos who have figured out how to leverage it into being the quirky friend. There are fucking idiots who get along with brilliant minds because they've figured out how to flow with the group and be a good but dumb contributor. There are absurdly introverted people who set standards and also limits so they can be sociable in moderation and do fine at it. The greatest living mind in Physics is completely paralyzed and talks through an electronic device, and is able to bust jokes and write books that laymen can enjoy and even score some sweet cheating side pussy. If social interactions fall flat then it's probably not that the other side is dumb, but that the participants are not making it meaningful - an actually intelligent person can generally find ways to talk to people in a rewarding manner even if those people share neither their intellect or even the same interests. High IQ is in no way a valid excuse for failure in social experiences.

Don't worry though, there's probably hope. I recommend finding at least 2 good people: someone who will help you be accountable and challenge you to not be miserable, and at least one good role model who you choose to emulate.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Everyone thinks they're intelligent. For some it's a high IQ, and I used to think this too. For some it's education. For some it's common sense or street smarts. For some it's success. For some it's achieving happiness and/or contentment. Few people think that they're actually dumb, and those who do will point to some other aspect of themselves instead and diminish the importance of being smart.

Reality is that you're probably fucking dumb. You might be "smart" and have a high IQ, but you're probably not intelligent. Being intelligent requires deliberate effort and practice; people are not just "naturally" intelligent by virtue of their brain. If you consistently fail to achieve your goals, cannot eke out a life that you're at least content with, and find yourself unable to cope with human interaction... I've got bad news: you're probably not intelligent. If you don't make time to pursue broad learning and don't actually challenge yourself to learn you are probably not even intellectual let alone intelligent.

There are ultra nerdy super aspy weirdos who have figured out how to leverage it into being the quirky friend. There are fucking idiots who get along with brilliant minds because they've figured out how to flow with the group and be a good but dumb contributor. There are absurdly introverted people who set standards and also limits so they can be sociable in moderation and do fine at it. The greatest living mind in Physics is completely paralyzed and talks through an electronic device, and is able to bust jokes and write books that laymen can enjoy and even score some sweet cheating side pussy. If social interactions fall flat then it's probably not that the other side is dumb, but that the participants are not making it meaningful - an actually intelligent person can generally find ways to talk to people in a rewarding manner even if those people share neither their intellect or even the same interests. High IQ is in no way a valid excuse for failure in social experiences.

Don't worry though, there's probably hope. I recommend finding at least 2 good people: someone who will help you be accountable and challenge you to not be miserable, and at least one good role model who you choose to emulate.

What does it mean when you ramble nonsensically on message boards with a bunch of sweeping generalizations about people you don't know?

• 1Like

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
What does it mean when you ramble nonsensically on message boards with a bunch of sweeping generalizations about people you don't know?

Admittedly dumb despite high IQ.

• 1Solidarity

Binks

Golden Knight of the Realm
For some it's a high IQ, and I used to think this too. For some it's education. For some it's common sense or street smarts. For some it's success. For some it's achieving happiness and/or contentment. Few people think that they're actually dumb, and those who do will point to some other aspect of themselves instead and diminish the importance of being smart.

g factor (psychometrics) - Wikipedia

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
this is pathetic. the reason you have no friends isn't because you supposedly have an IQ. the reason you have no friends is beacuse you're a loser and you're bad at social interactions so you avoid them.

You read a book by Ayn Rand and took it as gospel, probably because it was recommended to you by someone or through some means by which affirmed prior convictions, and after reading of course then furthered said convictions.

I've only looked at few of your things but it seems like you've been jumping around dropping threads shouting, "look at me, look at what I'm doing".

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Deruvian

Lord Nagafen Raider
I think it's probably related to your social circle and the fact that you didn't go to college. I find conversations with my old high school friends to be exceptionally dull. Generally, the stuff they are interested in, the stuff they want to talk about and the depth in which they are willing to explore topics just does not resonate with me anymore. I relate a lot more with friends made in grad school and beyond, but I think that has more to do with shared interests than intelligence. I'd rather discuss some piece on NPR or philosophy than make idle small-talk. I don't think this makes me a genius or a social incompetent, it's just how I'm wired. While well educated and yes, intelligent, people often share these traits, it's not a 1:1 thing. My girlfriend went to a top law program and has a ton of friends that are in big-law corporate jobs. I'd say most of these people are just as uninteresting as your random high school drop-out. Some are fantastic and great to talk to, probably a higher ratio for me than from your normal pool of people, but it's probably unfair to peg this all on IQ.

It sounds like you just need to find a social circle that you can relate with. I do feel like a lot of these relationships come from school, so it's tough to give advice on how to build that from the ground up. There are definitely people out there that think the way you do, you just have to find them.

• 1Like

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Discussing a piece on NPR? That sounds like a wonderful evening. Maybe finish it up by throating a massive cock?

The Retarded Ex Con bar Tender is seeming way cooler as more people respond to this thread.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
You read a book by Ayn Rand and took it as gospel, probably because it was recommended to you by someone or through some means by which affirmed prior convictions, and after reading of course then furthered said convictions.

Atlas Shrugged & The Fountainhead were both tremendous books. Bah Humbug!

• 1Solidarity

iannis

Musty Nester
Or we read them when we were young and gradually came to mistrust them. I've seen that too.