High IQ, making friends and influencing people.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Or we read them when we were young and gradually came to mistrust them. I've seen that too.

Or you read a few chapters, put it down, and decry it for life.

Show us where Ayn touched you.

doll1.jpg

iannis

Musty Nester
Yuck. She was gross.

Pretty sure if she'd ever touched me it would leave one of those baked-in-satan-birthmark tattoos

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Or simply we try not to take political advice on goverment structure from a work of fiction, who actually does not represent the authors position on the the topic.

If people take political advice from the Hunger games, or from Harry Potter, we still call them stupid.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
Or simply we try not to take political advice on goverment structure from a work of fiction, who actually does not represent the authors position on the the topic.

If people take political advice from the Hunger games, or from Harry Potter, we still call them stupid.
de ninguna manera

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
No way?

You lost me there consensus.

Imagine if people in 50 years hold up "Divergence" as a prime example of how to run a goverment, based on tests scores to force people to do certain jobs.
Even at some level we sort of do something like this, we definitely have much better reasons than "It was written in a book"

But I guess most people have a certain proclivity to follow fantasy stuff just because it was written in a book.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
No way?

Imagine if people in 50 years hold up "Divergence" as a prime example of how to run a goverment, based on tests scores to force people to do certain jobs.
Even at some level we sort of do something like this, we definitely have much better reasons than "It was written in a book"

But I guess most people have a certain proclivity to follow fantasy stuff just because it was written in a book.

I never agreed with S.P.E.C.I.A.L. or the GOAT

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I think it's probably related to your social circle and the fact that you didn't go to college. I find conversations with my old high school friends to be exceptionally dull. Generally, the stuff they are interested in, the stuff they want to talk about and the depth in which they are willing to explore topics just does not resonate with me anymore.

I can relate to this part. But talking about some NPR bullshit sounds terrible.

My closest friends are the ones I made or still had around me starting in my early 20s. I think you just have a better idea of the person you are and that leads to knowing what kind of people you want to surround yourself with. I stay in touch with only two people from high school and one of those dudes was a roommate for the first two years of college. All my friends are either from college or ones I've made since I moved to SF. Moving to SF really changed things. It's just so far from Ohio that I really had to get out there to start the social circles all over again. By that time I was my mid-20s so I had a much better idea of the kind of people I wanted to hang with. Turns out I really like people that drink, travel, play music, and go to concerts.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>

What the fuck does this even mean?

• 1Like

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
No way?

What are you talking about?

• 1Like

Deruvian

Lord Nagafen Raider
I was mostly using NPR as a proxy for economics, geopolitics, history and science. The stuff they do on saving the whales or fighting poverty or whatever I could give a fuck about.

If you can get past their ultra liberal leanings, there's a ton of really high quality content on current events, economics, all of that stuff. For example, I remember an hour long show drilling into why Saudi Arabia broke from OPEC and decided to produce at a rate that was driving prices down. Basically, the Saudi's did an analysis and saw that oil would be left in the ground as prices declined due to alternative forms of energy coming online. They then realized that pumping all of their oil, even if it resulted in much lower prices, netted more revenues in aggregate than sticking with OPEC and eventually being left with a ton of oil in the ground that they couldn't profit from. It was a really fascinating and well done analysis of events that were happening in real time - hard to find stuff like that from most mainstream media sources.

Last edited:

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Something interesting happened last night. Granted, all parties involved were intoxicated, but I'll share anyway.

I have a friend that's extremely anti-Trump. It isn't that he's Democratic, but he just despises the man and wants him to lose. That said, he is EXTREMELY sensitive about everything.
I, on the other hand, am very much Republican. I want Trump to win, if for nothing else, just to see what the long term effects affects (hopefully positive) it has on the country.

So we're having a BBQ and drinking pretty heavy, then we move into the hot tub. My wife and I, and him. We're just relaxing, shooting the shit, and my wife mentions that she doesn't like my sense of humor. I laughed, and said that it's dark. The greatest explanation (based on a movie) is that There are two movies that are pretty identical in story. Paul Blart: Mall Cop & Observe and Report. I have not and never will watch Paul Blart. That just doesn't do it for me. The much much darker Observe and Report is hilarious.
Then she brings up a radio show that I always listen to. Technically, Opie & Anthony have been off the air for 2 years, but I still listen to the shows that Opie does by himself as well as Anthony's podcast. And I enjoy them both, even though they're different.

Next thing I know, she hypothetically brings up a story that there was a retarded guy in studio, and they wanted people with the funniest retard stories to call up and the best one would win a prize. This is bullshit, though. They never give away prizes, but that's something else all together.

I explain that I will laugh at things that are funny. Humor transcends all of our political correctness. It may not be funny for everyone, but it's damn funny for some one. He brings up that it isn't funny to make fun of a cripple. I agree, technically. Is said cripple involved in the joke? Like laughing at himself about stupid shit he's done? I know damn well I've been torn down by others for stupid things I've done in the past, and couldn't help laughing at myself in those instances. This guy was enraged by my idea of laughing at a cripple could EVER possibly be funny, and he stormed off.

Good times.

Titan_Atlas

Deus Vult
<Banned>
I had a similar experience with my cousin after the election on Facebook. He's gay and very SJW. My brother made the comment that as a straight man you can say fag but not Faggot. My cousin went into a tirade about how us "Breeder" WHITE MALES can't use that word cause it is theirs. I then chimed in that he was kinda being a faggot about it. The hilarity ensued.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Something interesting happened last night. Granted, all parties involved were intoxicated, but I'll share anyway.

I have a friend that's extremely anti-Trump. It isn't that he's Democratic, but he just despises the man and wants him to lose. That said, he is EXTREMELY sensitive about everything.
I, on the other hand, am very much Republican. I want Trump to win, if for nothing else, just to see what the long term effects affects (hopefully positive) it has on the country.

So we're having a BBQ and drinking pretty heavy, then we move into the hot tub. My wife and I, and him. We're just relaxing, shooting the shit, and my wife mentions that she doesn't like my sense of humor. I laughed, and said that it's dark. The greatest explanation (based on a movie) is that There are two movies that are pretty identical in story. Paul Blart: Mall Cop & Observe and Report. I have not and never will watch Paul Blart. That just doesn't do it for me. The much much darker Observe and Report is hilarious.
Then she brings up a radio show that I always listen to. Technically, Opie & Anthony have been off the air for 2 years, but I still listen to the shows that Opie does by himself as well as Anthony's podcast. And I enjoy them both, even though they're different.

Next thing I know, she hypothetically brings up a story that there was a retarded guy in studio, and they wanted people with the funniest retard stories to call up and the best one would win a prize. This is bullshit, though. They never give away prizes, but that's something else all together.

I explain that I will laugh at things that are funny. Humor transcends all of our political correctness. It may not be funny for everyone, but it's damn funny for some one. He brings up that it isn't funny to make fun of a cripple. I agree, technically. Is said cripple involved in the joke? Like laughing at himself about stupid shit he's done? I know damn well I've been torn down by others for stupid things I've done in the past, and couldn't help laughing at myself in those instances. This guy was enraged by my idea of laughing at a cripple could EVER possibly be funny, and he stormed off.

Good times.

Jesus christ dude you could edit this post down to:

There was a guy at a party that just couldn't understand ANY joke about a cripple, even a self-deprecating one, and got pissed and stormed off when we discussed it. He is apparently extremely sensitive about things.

• 1Solidarity

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Jesus christ dude you could edit this post down to:

There was a guy at a party that just couldn't understand ANY joke about a cripple, even a self-deprecating one, and got pissed and stormed off when we discussed it. He is apparently extremely sensitive about things.
You're right. I'm very long winded.