Hogwarts Legacy

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
REEEEEEEEEEEE

How did February become the GOTY season?
Chance of Hogwarts Legacy being GOTY is pretty low, IMO. It's a great game and more than any other game I've played creates a vibrant world in Hogwarts but is isn't so impressive that it'll beat literally every other game releasing this year.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Chance of Hogwarts Legacy being GOTY is pretty low, IMO. It's a great game and more than any other game I've played creates a vibrant world in Hogwarts but is isn't so impressive that it'll beat literally every other game releasing this year.

What game would you say beats it?

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
The only games I am looking forward to are remakes... and I kind of hate remakes/remasters. (RE4 and SH2)

Praising Hogwarts as potentially being GoTW is a damning indictment of gaming right now, not because it's early but because it's probably true.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
The only games I am looking forward to are remakes... and I kind of hate remakes/remasters. (RE4 and SH2)

Praising Hogwarts as potentially being GoTW is a damning indictment of gaming right now, not because it's early but because it's probably true.

I mean yeah it was probably Game of The Week.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

Not every year has an Elden Ring

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I think the GOTY talk with this one was based off super early impressions when everyone had like 10 hours into the game. Because that part of the game was truly stunning.

The novelty eventually wore off though and then the game just kind of became a standard open world RPG.

Still a solid game, but it didn't hold up that standard throughout.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

spronk

FPS noob
336503837_2037543789783777_69934386043906862_n.jpg

been busy the last month but gonna try to finish the game this weekend, I really still enjoy it 25 hours in

• 2Like
  • 2Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 4 users

iamacynic37

FoH Honkler - HONK HONK MFr
<Banned>
Remember when JK put one Asian character in these books and named her ching chong chopsticks?

• 1Pathetic

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
So I’m 52 hours in and close to end of main storyline but the shiny wore off once I combed all parts of the school. Overworld is super repetitive. Seems way worse than other open world games.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
So I’m 52 hours in and close to end of main storyline but the shiny wore off once I combed all parts of the school. Overworld is super repetitive. Seems way worse than other open world games.

Seems worse because they padded it out way more than a normal open world game. For example, there's like what, 4 types of Merlin puzzles? They copy pasted 95(!) of them. Still a decent game to me, but sucks for the completionists out there with all the duplicate optional stuff spread around.

There are some neat side quests though.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Seems worse because they padded it out way more than a normal open world game. For example, there's like what, 4 types of Merlin puzzles? They copy pasted 95(!) of them. Still a decent game to me, but sucks for the completionists out there with all the duplicate optional stuff spread around.

There are some neat side quests though.
About 8 different merlin trials

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
What game would you say beats it?

Possible 2023 GOTY contenders, putting aside the possibility of a dark horse out of nowhere:

-Hogwarts Legacy
-Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
-Final Fantasy 16
-Baldur's Gate 3
-Armored Core VI

That's about it. I legitimately can't think of anything else. FF16 probably isn't going to win because the FF name is pretty tarnished these days. Baldur is probably gonna be the biggest CRPG ever but still too "niche".

It's gonna come down to the other 3. If Miyazaki hits a grand slam again, Armored Core might get GOTY. If he only hits a mere home run, and the sales aren't there, then it's either Hogwarts or Zelda. Between those two I'm going to guess Zelda gets it, especially if The Academy is afraid of a backlash. If Zelda has a lot of asset-reuse from BOTW, doesn't really do anything new, and feels more like an expansion...then Hogwarts may yet get the duke.

• 1Like

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Ok I finished it. My thoughts after about 55 hours.

I felt the emotional highlight was the Sebastian Sallow questline. The worst pandering was jab at needing wands to make African wizards and witches more powerful but that wasn’t too bad. Way too diverse for 1800’s England but whatever it was not too distracting.

Main quest was ok. Last boss was alright. Weird I guess. Preferred the fight with Rookwood myself. Cool cinematic scene overall. I did about 75% of the challenges. Got too fucking repetitive. Overall I felt I could have spent ages in the Lands Between even though I did tire of some of the mini dungeons there. Here the tiring happened much faster without the feeling of true danger. I only died to falling off twice. Easy game. Combat was fun and I felt like a badass, especially with killing curse. Game was beautiful but man did it peak with the first 20 hours and the school. Felt the coast area was way underused. Almost like they ran out of time. I’ve never played PS4 Spider-Man, but this has to be one of the greatest licensed games of all time with shit like the Arkham series, etc.

I don’t see how zelda doesn’t beat this though.

also, does the inevitable sequel have you just redo Hogwarts shit? I’d like to see Diagon Alley, London, etc. I doubt they can just “do England,” but maybe do more than the school? And give me a branching story with morality impacts. Fuck let me make horcruxes with some crazy penalty? Just be outright evil.

• 1Like

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
In terms of the game quality, I'd say BotW2 likely would beat it, but in terms of pure volume/publicity/animosity etc it'd be hard pressed to lose to anything. How many people would go out and buy a switch if they didn't already have one for Zelda vs how many people who never really were a gamer wanted to play HL? Night and day seems like.