Home buying thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
OK, home buying adjacent question here. Bordering into something I already know I'll probably need to engage a lawyer for.

The scenario : The house my grandparents bought in 1956, where my mother, uncles, and myself were all raised in, is in a living trust under my grandmother's name (now deceased) with my mother (still alive) listed as the trustee along with my grandmother. It is the only remaining asset in the trust (my mother and uncles burned through everything else that was in the trust). Reading the trust documents it's clear that the trustee has rights to dispense any asset from the trust at their discretion, which is how my uncles and mother essentially emptied the trust in the 10 years since my grandmother's passing. The house is in disrepair, needs a roof, some mortar/brick work, a new bathroom, new floors, it's a mess. I want to take out a home improvement loan to do these repairs as part of me taking care of my now aging mother for whom this house is the primary residence. The three remaining beneficiaries of the trust are her, one of my uncles, and me. The other two uncles are deceased. My uncle and mother have both signaled that they're OK with transferring the house to me so that I can get the loan in my name (I'm the one of the three of us with good credit). I'm looking for fastest and easiest way to transfer a title. I found a quitclaim title transfer form for Dallas county on line, it looks like I just need to fill that out, have my mom sign it, get it notarized and submit it to the county clerk? Is that right? Has anybody else dealt with this?
i thought you were trying to avoid paying transfer tax but

Texas is one of 13 states that has no transfer taxes. So if you're buying or selling a home in Texas, you don't need to worry about them.

A total of 13 states don't have a transfer tax at all. Alaska, Idaho, Indiana, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon (except in Washington County), Texas, Utah and Wyoming

sorry i know it doesn't help you, i just remember paying transfer tax for the ny home a few years ago.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Haus

<Silver Donator>
i thought you were trying to avoid paying transfer tax but

sorry i know it doesn't help you, i just remember paying transfer tax for the ny home a few years ago.

That clears up a little but I already knew about the tax considerations, not to mention on this type of title transfer the "cost of the house" is usually listed as something like $10. I'm just really trying to make sure I get the right form to submit, which are surprisingly tricky to find online. I might just be going to the county clerks office tomorrow and glare at bureaucrats until someone confirms the right form and gets it for me.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Hire a lawyer or a title company, whoever does this in your state. It’s a few hundred bucks and they will actually do it right. The county clerk isn’t going to be preparing a deed (and transfer tax documents if applicable in your county and state) for you.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
and here i thought vanessa became a homeowner

wth is w/ these avatars?
Avatar bet that I may or may not have lost depending on how low below room temperature your IQ is. Shrug. My bet parameters so I owned it.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I just bought a house in Los Angeles. Pray for me, boys.

(Before the inevitable chorus of "WHYYY??", my wife has multiple generations of relatives here that we're very close to. Family first.)

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Slow
  • 1Midwit
Reactions: 3 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

(Before the inevitable chorus of "WHYYY??", my wife has multiple generations of relatives here that we're very close to. Family first.)
I at least hope its in Brentwood, Bel Air, or something similar. Preferrably with walls.

• 1Worf

Nija

<Silver Donator>

Family first means you and her. Not them, necessarily.

Captain Suave

Family first means you and her. Not them, necessarily.

Like I said, we're very close to them. Her family is great and we have a big social/support network through them. It's good for both us and the kids.

Last edited:

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Like I said, we're very close to them. Her family is great and we have a big social/support network through them. It's good for both us and the kids.
yea in your case that might actually be a bonus cuz you want these asian kids to see other asians, how asian are you gonna try to keep em? illiterate but can asian w/ the tiger mom?

Captain Suave

you want these asian kids to see other asians

No issues with that here, the SGV is like 2/3 Asian.

you want these asian kids to see other asians, how asian are you gonna try to keep em? illiterate but can asian w/ the tiger mom?

My wife is like a 5 on the tiger mom scale. (Thank god. My kids' friends' moms can be NUTS.) We're going to underplay asian-ness when it comes to college, for sure, given how affirmative action works out. No violin or math olympiad and we made sure to give them ethnically neutral names.

Last edited:

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

My wife is like a 5 on the tiger mom scale. (Thank god. My kids' friends' moms can be NUTS.) We're going to underplay asian-ness when it comes to college, for sure, given how affirmative action works out. No violin or math olympiad and we made sure to give them ethnically neutral names.
Just put transgender, non-binary and black on all college applications and watch the acceptances roll in.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

Similar boat here as far as family and Asian-ness goes, though I’d rate my wife in the 6-7 range on the TM scale.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Welp, parents have decided to leave the area again, so I am going to buy a condo in the same area I was at before. Goodbye 401k.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers