Horizon 2: Forbidden West

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
It's excellent, more of the same but shinier. I never finished the first one. I was enjoying it and got distracted by some other game and never got around to going back to it.

I'm about 20 hours in to HFW so far, I haven't got very far in the main storyline because I am constantly being distracted by random things I see. When I see a pack of robots I often decide to kill them just because it's fun. I spent 30 minutes last night practicing de-tusking widemaws just because it was challenging and I wanted to get good at it. Have way more tusks than I'll ever need now.

Storyline is decent enough so far even though I don't have any idea where it's leading. It seemed clear enough for the first part of the game but then shit happened and now it's all unclear and interesting.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
How is this so far? Sorta surprised I haven't bought this yet, considering how amazing the first was.

So far it's been mostly more of the same with some solid improvements (notably the skill tree) and is damn good looking.

I didn't play the first until nearly a year after launch so maybe it's not a fair comparison, but I have had a lot more graphical glitches. Nothing that has affected gameplay, just more texture pop in, animation weirdness, and the worst offender is audio desynch. After a couple hours of play the audio will get ahead of animations in cutscenes and start speaking before their lips start flapping. Closing the game and restarting fixes it, but it's really annoying.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
So far it's been mostly more of the same with some solid improvements (notably the skill tree) and is damn good looking.

I didn't play the first until nearly a year after launch so maybe it's not a fair comparison, but I have had a lot more graphical glitches. Nothing that has affected gameplay, just more texture pop in, animation weirdness, and the worst offender is audio desynch. After a couple hours of play the audio will get ahead of animations in cutscenes and start speaking before their lips start flapping. Closing the game and restarting fixes it, but it's really annoying.
I haven’t experienced anything quite that dramatic on PS5 but there does seem to be a memory leak (loss of FPS and overall performance). Closing the app and relaunching every few hours fixes it for me.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
How is this so far? Sorta surprised I haven't bought this yet, considering how amazing the first was.
As others have said, it’s probably 80% more of the same (which is good) and the remaining is new systems/metroidvania skill unlocks that let you access blocked paths. I loved the first and I’m loving this one.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Just finished the main story - TONS to play yet. I will not spoil anything, but you do get some things later in the game that make taking out the map to 100% completion a lot more fun - and knowing you have all the tools to complete the POI's.

That's the one thing I didn't like - is that unless you progressed the main story, there is a ton locked behind that progression that you cannot complete without the special tools. My advice if you are on hour 25 or so, start plowing through the main story - which is plenty beefy, and then go through all the rest of the fun stuff :)

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
That's the one thing I didn't like - is that unless you progressed the main story, there is a ton locked behind that progression that you cannot complete without the special tools. My advice if you are on hour 25 or so, start plowing through the main story - which is plenty beefy, and then go through all the rest of the fun stuff :)

I'm normally a compulsive wanderer but once I figured out some POIs were gated behind tools given in the main story I started working on that. I think I have only one last thing to unlock before I resume getting my ass beat by every thunderjaw I see in the distance.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I'm normally a compulsive wanderer but once I figured out some POIs were gated behind tools given in the main story I started working on that. I think I have only one last thing to unlock before I resume getting my ass beat by every thunderjaw I see in the distance.

I won't give anything away but there is a HUGE quality of life improvement towards the end you will most likely want badly. :)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

kinadin

<Gold Donor>
Imagine Dying Light 2, but the devs didn't fuck it up, basically. Small non-annoying changes, and they got pretty creative to alleviate issues of repetition.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

SimSimSalabim

Molten Core Raider
I’m a huge fan of Zero Dawn, despite its flaws, and my first ~15 hours of H:FW had me feeling like the developers really looked into the feedback from the first game and used it to make targeted improvements.

Story is not exactly what I expected before playing, but the foreshadowing within the game itself is good if you take time to read the story related data points you can be a step ahead of most of the big twists and reveals.

Little worried that the story could really jump the shark by end game, just speculation.

Lately have encountered some very unfriendly bugs. Twice have been locked out of attacking with my spear and had to find a campfire to save and reload to get it back. Same with a quest with an NPC getting stuck, has to fix with a save and reload to advance the quest.

Firegleam not being removed from the world map really messes with my OCD and caused me to not backtrack to them, because I’m the kind of idiot that will go to the same cleared one 5 times.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Well, I got the COVID. Work is making me stay home for all of next week. Time has been spent between doom-scrolling Ukraine war news and playing this game. The developers of this thing did a good job at allowing someone like me who is functionally retarded at playing console games and using a controller, actually feel like they can accomplish something. Spamming buttons seems to work pretty well at scaling cliffs and rappelling, etc.

spronk

FPS noob
i picked up a digital deluxe key for $50 (in psn credit), $80 on psn store. People who bought the collectors edition apparently got a digital deluxe code, not a disc, and some are selling because they are the kinda people who prefer discs or something i guess. Anyways if you have friends who are into collecting stupid shit you may be able to get a cheap copy of the game.

sadly i got elden ring too so i doubt ill get to HFW for a while. i really, really enjoyed the first one, and i can't wait to see more of special agent Broyles (Lance Reddick)

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Finished the game today and haven't had this feeling in a long long time. I bought a PS5 specifically to play this. I will buy a PS6 to play the next one.

MasterCraft of story, gameplay and visuals.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
People today are so fucking lame.

OH MY GOD THEY MODELED NIPPLES YOU CANT SEE UNLESS YOU GO INTO PHOTO MODE AND CLIP THROUGH THE CHARACTER, TAKE IT OFF THE SHELVES.

Imagine being that person. Life must be insufferable, mine as well just kill yourself and be done with it. Thats real outrage!

• 1Moron

SimSimSalabim

Molten Core Raider
People today are so fucking lame.

OH MY GOD THEY MODELED NIPPLES YOU CANT SEE UNLESS YOU GO INTO PHOTO MODE AND CLIP THROUGH THE CHARACTER, TAKE IT OFF THE SHELVES.

Imagine being that person. Life must be insufferable, mine as well just kill yourself and be done with it. Thats real outrage!

I think you’re misrepresenting this Reddit post. Its not about the nipples. It is about hypocrisy of Sony forcing other third party developers to eat costs to adjust product in the 11th hour, but not Sony themselves. Also allegedly bogus copyright claims in attempts to hide it.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
uvgod6okwrh81.png

aloy is like a chameleon, every screenshot of her looks different

So uh, does she really look like a man in this game or were all those concerns overblown and unfounded?

Heard enough good things about this game that I'm looking forward to it either way, after Elden Ring and Sekiro and the other ten games I'm backed-up on. "Only ten?" says most of this forum when reached for comment.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
She has definitely had a few cheeseburgers between 1&2 but in general looks the same. I think the fat face stuff was overblown although if you get the right camera angle you can see it.

• 1Like