House of the Dragon

Caliane

Hypothetically GOT could have started with Roberts rebellion and then time jumped

But, they didn't know how popular it would be and were adapting the books.

They would later use Bran as a way of showing some of this time period
God, that would have been a terrible idea.

Its like Jupiters legacy massive fuckup of starting with the prequel stuff. no you morons. you have to start with the main hook of the NOW storyline. Get the hook, THEN show flashbacks.
We haven't seen the "now" timeline hook for this show. so can't really tell for sure if they should have started with the "now". but, really, yes. probably should have. start with the death of Viserys? idk how open war starts. but presumably some assassination, or treachery. that'd be a hook.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
God, that would have been a terrible idea.

Its like Jupiters legacy massive fuckup of starting with the prequel stuff. no you morons. you have to start with the main hook of the NOW storyline. Get the hook, THEN show flashbacks.
We haven't seen the "now" timeline hook for this show. so can't really tell for sure if they should have started with the "now". but, really, yes. probably should have. start with the death of Viserys? idk how open war starts. but presumably some assassination, or treachery. that'd be a hook.
Ossoi suggesting that if they knew GoT was gonna be as popular as it turned out to be, they would of followed the books less (you know, like the later seasons), wrote their own story/prologue to cover roberts rebellion (only referenced in the books, not written directly about), made up a bunch of illogical and incongruent shit to make it "interesting", inserted a bunch of time jumps, casting 4 different king roberts and ned starks and only getting to mark addy and sean beans versions just long enough to kill one with a boar and behead the other.

Sir you are truly a Master of your craft.

Which is of course, trolling.

To answer your question caliane, can you name a single thing that happened in episodes 1-5 that seems like its super important information to have, that they could not have simply introduced to the audience via dialogue or a title card? What had to be shown, not referenced, not told, to the audience? Keep in mind 90% of what you saw in episodes 1-5 (like everything else on this show) was made up for tv to make it "interesting" cus there really isnt anything going on.

Since there isn't anything, why the multiple time jumps? If you are dead set on forcing a time jump why use two 10 year jumps? Why couldnt the show have started at episode 6, and had 5 episodes of the kids growing up and growing to despise each other, just as their mothers rhaenyra and alicent grow to resent each other? Then jump to adult versions of characters you give a shit about and them going to war with one another?

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
To answer your question caliane, can you name a single thing that happened in episodes 1-5 that seems like its super important information to have, that they could not have simply introduced to the audience via dialogue or a title card? What had to be shown, not referenced, not told, to the audience? Keep in mind 90% of what you saw in episodes 1-5 (like everything else on this show) was made up for tv to make it "interesting" cus there really isnt anything going on.

The lead up to the Dance needed more context than starting at the current Episode 6 year. The 'first gen' plot of mid-reign Viserys I was absolutely necessary to establish all the characters involved. If they'd thrown us into 'Here's the queem, here's the princess, here's their gaggle of shitty kids' you would've just had to reverse-engineer the establishing plot as flashbacks. Otherwise how would you be expected to give any fucks whatsoever about the fate of the kids/the main players of the Dance? No establishment of Daemon? No much-needed 'bridge' character in the form of young not-Danaerys?

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
The lead up to the Dance needed more context than starting at the current Episode 6 year. The 'first gen' plot of mid-reign Viserys I was absolutely necessary to establish all the characters involved. If they'd thrown us into 'Here's the queem, here's the princess, here's their gaggle of shitty kids' you would've just had to reverse-engineer the establishing plot as flashbacks. Otherwise how would you be expected to give any fucks whatsoever about the fate of the kids/the main players of the Dance? No establishment of Daemon? No much-needed 'bridge' character in the form of young not-Danaerys?
Which characters are those again? Can you name the participants? Who would you need to establish, and why flashbacks? Why are they important? Considering the main "player" for the other team hasn't even been born yet i doubt very much any of the shit that happened 20 years prior in ep 1-5 matters. Which of the kids do you think have been developed in the 2 episodes theyve existed? If you are arguing for character development dont you think spending more time with those kids would of led to more? And as far as establishing daemon, the show has done him a great disservice.

We didnt need prince rhaegar or aerys II the mad king to establish the backstory and plot of robert and ned and the lannisters or any of that shit. We didnt need flash backs either. The one scene we got via bran in the last seasons was just a fever dream ned has during season 1 after getting stabbed in the leg by the lannisters back when he was still alive and hand to robert baratheon.

Chris

Potato del Grande
they probably let him sail away cuz they don't want real life backlash for killing a gay on tv, but that just means in one scene he's like "i love my kids, i'll be a good dad now" and the next scen he's like "fuck you kids, i care more about being a faggot than being a father"
I'm guessing that Daemon paid off his lover to murder him for real, but his lover told him everything so they planned the escape.

So it's not running away and abandoning his family for a gay fantasy, it's fleeing into exile because his wife and brother in law want him dead and Daemon is known to be volatile.

Caliane

Ossoi suggesting that if they knew GoT was gonna be as popular as it turned out to be, they would of followed the books less (you know, like the later seasons), wrote their own story/prologue to cover roberts rebellion (only referenced in the books, not written directly about), made up a bunch of illogical and incongruent shit to make it "interesting", inserted a bunch of time jumps, casting 4 different king roberts and ned starks and only getting to mark addy and sean beans versions just long enough to kill one with a boar and behead the other.

Sir you are truly a Master of your craft.

Which is of course, trolling.

Since there isn't anything, why the multiple time jumps? If you are dead set on forcing a time jump why use two 10 year jumps? Why couldnt the show have started at episode 6, and had 5 episodes of the kids growing up and growing to despise each other, just as their mothers rhaenyra and alicent grow to resent each other? Then jump to adult versions of characters you give a shit about and them going to war with one another?
what a weird post. I was agreeing with Ossai. Basically following through his hypothetical. have you seen Jupiters legacy, or read the comic? The comic has a "now" storyline issues 1-3, with some major plothooks. Then goes back to the prequel of the older characters origins, which lead up to the "now" storyline of the kids. then finishes off the "now" storyline with 4-6.
The TV show made the insane choice of starting with the prequels, going back to the 30's, while interjecting a totally made up "now" storyline that went nowhere. stealing a few of the good ideas, but otherwise just spinning its wheels, and NEVER getting to the plot hooks the first issue of the comic had. Show didn't get a season 2, because it forgot you need plot hooks.

"you answered my question" of "what future story beats will make a good plot hook" by asking me a question about the current episodes? what? All I know about the future is, the king dies. theres a civil war. pretty much everyone dies. Rhyneara gets eaten by a dragon. I presume there is something here that would make a good episode one plot hook. But would need someone that knows the story better to pinpoint what.

What we got was weird. there were plot hooks... but, they were all redherrings. as we all know, we keep getting these time jumps, which negate all the relevance.

I don't think you understood my post at all. I was saying, yes the show should have started with Viseries dying, and whatever conflict starts open civil war. Then had flashbacks to the relevant episode 1-5 materials.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I don't think you understood my post at all. I was saying, yes the show should have started with Viseries dying, and whatever conflict starts open civil war. Then had flashbacks to the relevant episode 1-5 materials.

You really think they can pull that off after how they introduced the Sea Snake? Rewatch the pilot. They ain't flashing shit back.

It would have fell flat, and not even got greenlit.

Reminder that HBO was very discerning with what they were willing to go forward with, per GRRM not long ago:

1664910250278.png

They killed several shows before this one got the OK. And it wasn't a fast OK. They barely got the blessing for HOTD. What they shit out for this show was the best they could do, and HBO was extremely cautious about it.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
That's a little too much like Lost. That show gave me near-permanent flashback fatigue.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
what a weird post. I was agreeing with Ossai. Basically following through his hypothetical. have you seen Jupiters legacy, or read the comic? The comic has a "now" storyline issues 1-3, with some major plothooks. Then goes back to the prequel of the older characters origins, which lead up to the "now" storyline of the kids. then finishes off the "now" storyline with 4-6.
The TV show made the insane choice of starting with the prequels, going back to the 30's, while interjecting a totally made up "now" storyline that went nowhere. stealing a few of the good ideas, but otherwise just spinning its wheels, and NEVER getting to the plot hooks the first issue of the comic had. Show didn't get a season 2, because it forgot you need plot hooks.

"you answered my question" of "what future story beats will make a good plot hook" by asking me a question about the current episodes? what? All I know about the future is, the king dies. theres a civil war. pretty much everyone dies. Rhyneara gets eaten by a dragon. I presume there is something here that would make a good episode one plot hook. But would need someone that knows the story better to pinpoint what.

What we got was weird. there were plot hooks... but, they were all redherrings. as we all know, we keep getting these time jumps, which negate all the relevance.

My point is there are zero relevant episode 1-5 materials thus there was no need for episode 1-5. Idk why you think you were agreeing with ossoi when you just explained why his idea was retarded, but ooohhk.

Not sure why ppl are obsessed with time jumps and changing actors mid season intentionally. But if you absolutely must to be edgy and different, this show should of started at ep 6, had 4 or 5 episodes of the kids going from playing together/liking each other to growing to hate/despise one another.

Ep 6 they are laughing together playing pranks on aemond with the pig as a mount. Ep 7 they are attempting to murder one another and calling them out as bastards. Talk about subtle nuance. Much character development. And just as you might start to give a shit about the kids were jumping 10 years and changing actors again. Can any viewer who hasnt read the book even name the kids? If they didnt make the Velaryons black would you be able to tell who are the children of daemon and laena? Just like the previous generation with corlys and rhaenys kids.

• 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
They had 1-5 episodes to do something with Velaryon or Corlys and they didn't give them more than a minute of screen time and it was exposition.

There was no reason to have episodes to build up when it was just used for exposition anyway. Put that exposition in the main story. 1-5 aren't going to age well in season 2.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This show is worse than S7 of GoT. Maybe even season 8.

I mean maybe not 8, but to be honest this show is simply just kind of bad. Maybe it will get drastically better over these last few episodes but I doubt it.

• 1Tiresome

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Who was it that they threw in the fireplace anyways?? black gay dude did not strike me as that cold hearted to kill innocent people

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Who was it that they threw in the fireplace anyways?? black gay dude did not strike me as that cold hearted to kill innocent people
daemon killed a rando black servant the scene b4, we assume he's the body double they shove in the fireplace w/ gay dudes clothes

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Too dark. Could not see incest bobs or vagene. Did see a one eyed dragon though.

• 1Rustled

Xevy

Log Wizard
The black dude that Daemon killed right before that scene. That's why he killed him. That's how we also know Daemon was in on Laenor's "escape". Probably also helps make him look like a little bit less of an asshole for the upcoming civil war.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
daemon killed a rando black servant the scene b4, we assume he's the body double they shove in the fireplace w/ gay dudes clothes
I totally missed that. Why did he kill the servant? Just "its nothing personal" straight up murder or was there some pretext

• 1Picard

Ome

Molten Core Raider
He killed the servant so they could use him as Laenors body double in the fire.

• 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
top is promo material used before airing, bottom is what actually aired (day for night filters)

apparently done due to weather conditions during filming (cloudy/sunny/cloudy/sunny fucking up lighting and shadows) and cheaper dragon CGI as said above. People have still noticed minor errors like safety fence visible above the beach and maybe even an airplane way up in the sky lol

interesting thing is Jordan Peele & his DP pioneered a new technique to shoot day for night with Nope, which uses two cameras shooting the same location at two different times (one with actors, one just the background at night) and blending the two. It allows foreground characters to be fully lit and look very visible while still keeping a dark background. Hopefully that means future shows/seasons can do D4N much better.

On my $500 monitor the bottom is a black box( LMAO ). If I drag it to my $100 spectre 1080 monitor I can see it as I saw on TV( outlines ).
Says it all.