House of the Dragon

Oldbased

> Than U
This show is worse than S7 of GoT. Maybe even season 8.

I mean maybe not 8, but to be honest this show is simply just kind of bad. Maybe it will get drastically better over these last few episodes but I doubt it.
It's worse than 8. 8 had some good stuff in it, it's just the bad was very bad. This is just mostly bad.

• 2Dislike
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
ssrco,lightweight_hoodie,mens,grey_lightweight_hoodie,front,tall_three_quarter,x1000-bg,f8f8f8.2.jpg

also twice, daemon has donned a hooded cloak and each time he has killed a bitch

so i'm waiting for either the next burnt nogger or hooded daemon offing a bitch

spronk

FPS noob
one thing I don't really get is why wouldn't the Sea Snake move heaven and earth to find Ser Qarl his son's killer. It doesn't matter where on the planet he goes, money will find him - multiple people who "fled" Westeros in the books are found in Essos. And then they'd find Laneor too. Maybe that does happen in a future season, there is a place to tie it back in although not in a way that really makes much sense.

in an ideal world I'd have loved the show to start with Aegons Conquest and spend at least a few episodes if not an entire season on that, but I sadly understand why the showrunners, GRRM, and HBO wanted to move as quickly as possible into Dance of Dragons which is basically Queen vs Queen politics. Havving a hot dude bang his two hot sister-wives for multiple episodes would not have played well with critics.

and yeah HOTD is better than GoT S7/S8 just because nobody really gives a shit about any character. Daemon's wife dies? oh no i've seen her for 5 minutes, who cares. GoT S8 assassinated multiple beloved characters in awful ways (Varys, Lannisters, Tyrion is a retard), the Night King resolution was stupid as fuck, put a shitty character on the throne, on and on. That makes it way worse. You are indifferent to the blandness of HoTD, you are angered by the terrible arc conclusions in GoT.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
one thing I don't really get is why wouldn't the Sea Snake move heaven and earth to find Ser Qarl his son's killer. It doesn't matter where on the planet he goes, money will find him - multiple people who "fled" Westeros in the books are found in Essos. And then they'd find Laneor too. Maybe that does happen in a future season, there is a place to tie it back in although not in a way that really makes much sense.
or, he'd be like "my son is dead, have all the servants gather in the main hall"

"hey, where is the butler?"

• 1Like

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
you guys are bringing up great points that i'm certain no writer thought about for even a split second when they butchered the source material and made all the changes you are discussing..

in an ideal world I'd have loved the show to start with Aegons Conquest and spend at least a few episodes if not an entire season on that, but I sadly understand why the showrunners, GRRM, and HBO wanted to move as quickly as possible into Dance of Dragons which is basically Queen vs Queen politics. Havving a hot dude bang his two hot sister-wives for multiple episodes would not have played well with critics.
literally the worst idea ever, unless your point was to demonstrate how terrible the timing of this show already is.

You could just have a TV show called "The Conquest" and feature, you know, Aegon's Conquest.

For a show about the Targaryen Civil war no idea why on earth you would want to start over 130 years prior to it starting. Would you makea TV show about the US Civil war with season 1 being on the founding fathers forming america?

Last edited:
  • 1Worf

Sinistkir13

Bronze Knight of the Realm
So now we're at the point in the show where they pair the most entertaining character with the new least.
giphy.gif

The most fun thing about Daemon was that he was basically pure chaos thrown into everything, but I'm not sure how much of a wild card the show will let him be now that he's with Rhaenyra.

top is promo material used before airing, bottom is what actually aired (day for night filters)

apparently done due to weather conditions during filming (cloudy/sunny/cloudy/sunny fucking up lighting and shadows) and cheaper dragon CGI as said above. People have still noticed minor errors like safety fence visible above the beach and maybe even an airplane way up in the sky lol
No joke, there really was some random sound in a night shot that reminded me of an airplane flying.
"That is one weird-ass dragon..."

The night shots weren't too bad for me, but I went with the 1080 web rip over the HBO Max version, so it was just lighter and obviously not shot at night instead of totally unwatchable like some of the stills I've seen. I didn't notice any fencing, but I guess this is it for anyone curious.

HBO doubled down on it being a "creative decision" just like GoT season 8's night fight, with both that infamous episode and this being done by Sapochnik:

Once again, Lord of the Rings proves how badly Hollywood filmmaking has regressed.
daemon killed a rando black servant the scene b4, we assume he's the body double they shove in the fireplace w/ gay dudes clothes
Thanks, that was the only thing that I did miss because of the quick cuts.
Corlys sort of forgot about his gay son.

Not like he gave him any legitimate grandkids. - Corlys, maybe, his wife, probably.
and yeah HOTD is better than GoT S7/S8 just because nobody really gives a shit about any character. Daemon's wife dies? oh no i've seen her for 5 minutes, who cares. GoT S8 assassinated multiple beloved characters in awful ways (Varys, Lannisters, Tyrion is a retard), the Night King resolution was stupid as fuck, put a shitty character on the throne, on and on. That makes it way worse. You are indifferent to the blandness of HoTD, you are angered by the terrible arc conclusions in GoT.
Agreed, I'll take characters who might as well be NPCs getting killed without a second thought over abandoning everything that was set up because the showrunners wanted to do Star Wars. Even bland, medieval-fantasy political mumbling between characters who you are not fully invested in either way has a silver lining that it's not like they're promising the battle for all humanity to end in a couple of hours with barely any notable casualties because of a small tree ninja.

• 1Like

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Like what? This isn't great but I'd take it any day over S8.

Only good things about S8 were the different characters all finally meeting up (either again or for the first time) in the first two episodes. Once the big Winterfell battle happened stuff started going super shitty.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
The lead up to the Dance needed more context than starting at the current Episode 6 year. The 'first gen' plot of mid-reign Viserys I was absolutely necessary to establish all the characters involved. If they'd thrown us into 'Here's the queem, here's the princess, here's their gaggle of shitty kids' you would've just had to reverse-engineer the establishing plot as flashbacks. Otherwise how would you be expected to give any fucks whatsoever about the fate of the kids/the main players of the Dance? No establishment of Daemon? No much-needed 'bridge' character in the form of young not-Danaerys?
What a weird comment. You're basically making the argument that you have to start at the beginning of time so you have context on who characters are. That jumping in at a certain time period would be too jarring as you'd need to introduce characters. It's amazing we have any media whatsoever with that kind of logic. How did they start episode one without you having to figure out who the characters are?

• 1Seriously?

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
At what point does "based on" become "inspired by" just curious. I know theres a threshold of faithfulness that must be met right? Or is that just for true stories? "based on a true story" vs "inspired by real events".

Anyway. In case you were curious on what happens in the book:
That same year, across Blackwater Bay, the Sea Snake was stricken by a sudden fever. As he took to his bed, surrounded by maesters, the issue arose as to who should succeed him as Lord of the Tides and Master of Driftmark should the sickness claim him. With both his trueborn children dead, by law his
lands and titles should pass to his eldest grandson, Jacaerys…but since Jace would presumably ascend the Iron Throne after his mother, Princess Rhaenyra urged her good-father to name instead her second son, Lucerys. Lord Corlys also had half a dozen nephews, however, and the eldest of them, Ser Vaemond Velaryon, protested that the inheritance by rights should pass to him…on the grounds that Rhaenyra’s sons were bastards sired by Harwin Strong. The princess was not slow in answering this charge. She dispatched Prince Daemon to seize Ser Vaemond, had his head removed, and fed his carcass to her dragon, Syrax.
Even this did not end the matter, however. Ser Vaemond’s younger cousins fled to King’s Landing with his wife and sons, there to cry for justice and place their claims before the king and queen. King Viserys had grown extremely fat and red of face, and scarce had the strength to mount the steps to the Iron Throne. His Grace heard them out in a stony silence, then ordered their tongues removed, every one. “You were warned,” he declared, as they were being dragged away. “I will hear no more of these lies.”

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
So, the civil war starts because of the King not realizing who he was talking to and Aegon name sharing. Pretty cool...

Fall Down Jerome Flynn GIF by Game of Thrones

spronk

FPS noob
Episode was great, yeah the ending was a bit wonky but realistically Otto would have pushed Alicent back into "if Rhany becomes Queen your kids will die" so I think the dementia King push isn't that huge a deal. The whole Song of Ice and Fire is kinda dumb but I am really betting GRRM is pushing it to retcon the ending of S8 so he can redo it with the Jon Snow TV show.

King GoldMask Zombie Viserys limping into the throne room was a real old ass Game of Thrones moment, capped with a beheading was awesome. Season 1 has suffered a lot from so many time jumps and recastings but it settles down now, no cast changes at all going forward, and its gonna be a great couple seasons of Game of Thrones hopefully.

Every time Haelena speaks its foreshadowing, she is a seer like old Targs. I think this episode she said "Beware the beasts under the floors".

Paddy better win an Oscar Emmy
HOTD_PaddyEmmy.jpg

Last edited:
  • 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I have to say I like that young Aegon has grown up into a real badass. He's the new Daemon.

• 2Like

Oldbased

> Than U
I honestly don't know who the kids/now young princes are other than I know the dark haired ones are bastards.
Never had an issue knowing who was who in GoT, but here they all look and act just alike.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I have to say I like that young Aegon has grown up into a real badass. He's the new Daemon.
That's not Aegon. Aegon is the drunk rapist who doesn't give a fuck about anything. Aemond is the half-eyed warrior type (second son).

I will say all the similar names and children do get confusing though, especially since you don't spend much time with them to get to know them well (and the actor switches on top of that).

• 2Like