Household Major Appliances

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
So you got the one that air fries too? I’d like to consolidate so may get one.
i got mine as an additional accessory and they made a combined model later
4ec9c49bc2dea59b3c2e042f5ba54a18.png

Instant Pot Duo Crisp 11-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker with Air Fryer Lid, 8 Quart Stainless Steel/Black, Air Fry, Roast, Bake, Dehydrate, Slow Cook, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
ppl say you can also cook rice w/ it, find that partially true, i cooked rice on it once and it was bleh, it's probably ok for white ppl,

I've done rice in it a few times but it comes out worse than even a cheapass rice cooker.

So you got the one that air fries too? I’d like to consolidate so may get one.

The air fryer is a replacement lid that has a fan and heating element in it. I don't have one but I've heard it's pretty mediocre.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
The air fryer is a replacement lid that has a fan and heating element in it. I don't have one but I've heard it's pretty mediocre.
i was wondering why this would be the case and i looked more, i would guess it has to do with the max temp of 400f for the air fry, which honestly is at the lowest end of the "air fry" category, you'd want 450f tbh, the accessory i got goes up to 500f and it really crisps it up, so i can see where it's mediocre w/ only 400f

the newer pro does 450f, so yea, i'd zero in on that one just for the extra 50f in air frying max temp

but then i might also look into the ninja foodi then, since that also does 450f

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I've done rice in it a few times but it comes out worse than even a cheapass rice cooker.

Really? I got rid of my dedicated rice cooker specifically because my IP does rice like a goddamn champ.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Not sure if this is the right thread but looking for nice pots and pans that are Teflon free. Recs plz. Lanx Lanx

Goonsquad Officer
My LG fridge just failed ot keep the freezer cold enough and we had to toss a lot of it. it died last year for similar reason and the manufacturer footed the bill to fix the compressor. I don't really want to fuck with it anymore. is there ANY manufacturer of fridges that doesn't design their fridge to fucking die every 3 years? what's a real brand that makes real ass long lasting fridges vaguely reminiscent of the beasts from when we were kids?

• 1Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
My LG fridge just failed ot keep the freezer cold enough and we had to toss a lot of it. it died last year for similar reason and the manufacturer footed the bill to fix the compressor. I don't really want to fuck with it anymore. is there ANY manufacturer of fridges that doesn't design their fridge to fucking die every 3 years? what's a real brand that makes real ass long lasting fridges vaguely reminiscent of the beasts from when we were kids?

skip to 12 if you want to just find the good brands

• 1Solidarity

Goonsquad Officer
thanks a bunch, will add to my resource and opinion stack. sick of this shit. wife is like a freezer version of a horder so we had tons of shit get ruined. fortunatelyi have 2 spares in the garage, we moved shit around. saved most.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
thanks a bunch, will add to my resource and opinion stack. sick of this shit. wife is like a freezer version of a horder so we had tons of shit get ruined. fortunatelyi have 2 spares in the garage, we moved shit around. saved most.
he really seems to emphasize made in america cuz quality control is such junk overseas, so you might have to just find a good made in usa side by side (what he recomends) fridge by looking at the made in plate, at bestbuy haha

Goonsquad Officer
yea, the wife was scowling at the notion of not having an ice maker like he reccomended, but i may look over his models and see what's up. we had a side by side, definately doing that again after his review.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Sub zero? I don’t want to sound like a rich guy but we lucked out the house we bought two years ago had one from the early 90s. Appliance repair company we had out after we bought it said the thing is still working almost perfectly except for the ice maker.

Goonsquad Officer
don't buy LG seems to be the core of the message. i can firmly say that their asstastic compressor system fails and ruins food heh.

So looking at his review, he went over the goods and bads. among his reccomended models i liked:

But while discussing he mentioned how there's samsung models who avoid the in door ice and water maker, and have improved, which he showed a samsung model that i dug around some and found:

our fridge sits at the far right of the kitchen against a wall. the swing-open doors to the right on a pure side by side are kind of annoying. the idea of having a french style "big top with 2 doors", but not the retardation of the ice maker inside the refrigerator seems doable.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I used to think I wanted water and ice through the doors but after being around the one my Mom has it's just a silly thing that rarely gets used and has lots of downsides. Hers is the freezer on the bottom type so the icemaker has to have its own little freezer compartment and then the ice is on the door so if you open the fridge a lot the ice gets all hairy and sticks together so you have to chip it all out of there. You also don't need a water dispenser on your fridge that's sitting 3 feet from the kitchen sink. After seeing how hers works I got myself a freezer on the bottom model with the ice in the freezer and the ice is just so much nicer.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
is there ANY manufacturer of fridges that doesn't design their fridge to fucking die every 3 years?
Dunno, but I checked my warranty.

My fridge was purchased in 1996.

(in general, I stay away from anything with a LG logo)

Haus

<Silver Donator>
The real trick is to just have an old one that never dies.. that stares at you daring you to try to outlive it... Like a taunting evil god and keeps your ice cream frozen for you. I have one of these (I think I mentioned it in this thread somewhere). It is a 1997 Kenmore, Old school layout (freezer on top). My grandmother bought it for me as a house warming present for the first non-apartment I rented (which was the house across the alley from her after my grandfather passed and I wanted to be closer by just in case). It's been an undying beast. Moved from there into Chez Haus where I live now when I bought this house. Was the main kitchen fridge until around 2012 when we remodeled the kitchen. At that point we moved it onto the non-climate controlled patio, put drinks in it and it kept living... flipping off father time.

Multiple days when the non-climate controlled enclosed patio got to over 120 degrees, it cared not about such things.. drinks always cold, and meat in the freezer always frozen. A storm rolled through and destroyed the covered patio it was on, did this deter it? Hell no it didn't. They had to completely remove and replace the patio covering, so in that time I rolled it into my workshop. Recently in anticipation of the patio room being finished I moved it out to the garage and had a scare.... I plugged it in and it didn't fire up. But it was just a flesh wound, as I found getting it through the door I had caught the cord and damaged it, one yellow electric nut later and it roared back from it's brief sleep into it's infernal march towards the end of time.... To show I didn't trust it I put temp sensors in it. In a 100 degree garage it's keeping the freezer at a relaxing -5 degrees Freedom, and the fridge and my drinks at a balmy 35 degrees. I did find a half drank bottle of Goldschlager in it when moving it to the Garage (took it as an excuse to clean/reorg the freezer). That turned in to be a 20 year old bottle from an old party at my old house, but that's another story....

Once we get the new patio done in order to make it not look like a 25+ year old fridge with all the weathering and hatred it bears as proud marks I think I'm going to either paint it, or give it a decorative contact paper "wrap". See if it is going to outlive me.

I used to think I wanted water and ice through the doors but after being around the one my Mom has it's just a silly thing that rarely gets used and has lots of downsides. Hers is the freezer on the bottom type so the icemaker has to have its own little freezer compartment and then the ice is on the door so if you open the fridge a lot the ice gets all hairy and sticks together so you have to chip it all out of there. You also don't need a water dispenser on your fridge that's sitting 3 feet from the kitchen sink. After seeing how hers works I got myself a freezer on the bottom model with the ice in the freezer and the ice is just so much nicer.
I used to scoff at the water and ice dispenser angle. But my doctor put me on directives to "drink at least a gallon of water every day" (which actually turned out to be great advice I can wholly recommend) and to accomplish this I live with a 30oz yeti tumbler never more than a few feet from me and perpetually being refilled. Having a filtered water dispenser in the kitchen fridge has been a Godsend in that regard.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Once we get the new patio done in order to make it not look like a 25+ year old fridge with all the weathering and hatred it bears as proud marks I think I'm going to either paint it, or give it a decorative contact paper "wrap". See if it is going to outlive me.
i keep my chest freezer outside, and it's white, so it looks like ass after 1yr, i tried to clean it like a regular appliance, bit of soap, scrubby sponge... nuttin, gave up.

a few months later i powerwashed my grill and thought to try the chest freezer, wow, it looks like new... but i had to really powerwash it, w/ a 15degree nozzle and kept it like 1inch away like i was doing concrete.

power washing also was good for the gaskets good

Haus

<Silver Donator>
i keep my chest freezer outside, and it's white, so it looks like ass after 1yr, i tried to clean it like a regular appliance, bit of soap, scrubby sponge... nuttin, gave up.

a few months later i powerwashed my grill and thought to try the chest freezer, wow, it looks like new... but i had to really powerwash it, w/ a 15degree nozzle and kept it like 1inch away like i was doing concrete.

power washing also was good for the gaskets good
Yeah, the gaskets on the ancient one also need either a good deep cleaning, or replacement.. I might have to give the power washer a shot it seems.

Here's a fun bit. That freezer/fridge is a quarter century old. I bought a new fridge when we remodeled out kitchen 10 years ago. That new fridge developed issues with the ice maker. After having a tech replace said ice maker it worked for a year and went wonky again.... I pulled the ice maker from the new fridge to yell at it, then realized it looked exactly like the one in the undying beast on the patio. So I pulled the 25 year old ice maker, put it in my new fridge and have been happily getting ice ever since.

Had to pull the contents of the freezer recently when I accidentally nicked the power cord and it didn't come up after a move.. Found a half drank bottle in it from a quarter century ago at the house warming party I had in the late 90's...

1687104575258.png

Last edited:

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I have an old Tappan fridge from the early 2000s that has never had a single issue.

These companies tend to change hands a lot so no idea if it's still the same manufacturer but it's exactly the kind of appliance I like. No fancy electronics, no silly displays/wifi etc. It's just a refrigerator and freezer. And that's all I need it to be