I am currently living in my parents basement. AMA

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Has infinity money, can’t take vacation because loss of money.

This is not a good attitude for a salaried employee, and not really healthy even for entrepreneurs. Go take care of yourself and scissor some broads.

If you are unsure about what to do or where to go, or don’t have anyone to travel with you and your concerned about being alone you might consider a cruise. A lot of bouncing around and can meet different people. Go do a two week in Europe and see different places. That’s pretty 😎

You will find the time off will help you a lot long term.
I'm hourly. My employer knows the leash they've got around my neck. My pay is highly dependent on putting in a large number of hours every week, working every holiday, etc.

No matter how much money I make I am desperately afraid to ever be poor again. I was basically poor my entire life and I'm not ever going back. We lost what little we did have in a flood in 2010. It doesn't matter if I have to live like I'm poor for the rest of my life, just the idea that I have unlimited money to fall back on is what's important to me.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
If you have infinite money, try buying a house or something. Change up your living conditions. Or renovate your home. Change it up, stop being so depressed, it's annoying

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
No matter how much money I make I am desperately afraid to ever be poor again. I was basically poor my entire life and I'm not ever going back. We lost what little we did have in a flood in 2010. It doesn't matter if I have to live like I'm poor for the rest of my life, just the idea that I have unlimited money to fall back on is what's important to me.

Your boss isn't going to fire you for taking a two week vacation once a decade. I get the fear of being poor, but the reality is you are actually underpaid. Only peons in the IT world are paid hourly. If you are a high end Avaya tech, you could pull 100K+ salaried anywhere you wanted to, with less hours and less stress. Even if you lost your job, you could get another one in a heartbeat. Probably half a heartbeat since you are 1 in 1 million broads that work in IT that aren't fucking retarded.

• 2Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I'm hourly. My employer knows the leash they've got around my neck. My pay is highly dependent on putting in a large number of hours every week, working every holiday, etc.

Employers don't have a leash in this market. Since you're not tied down you could easily replace your job.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
If you are a high end Avaya tech, you could pull 100K+ salaried anywhere you wanted to, with less hours and less stress.
Yeah but I can pull in 140K+ here working hourly at my current rate, plus an extra couple thousand in Amazon gift cards for bonuses/holiday coverage.

I turned down a job for 110K (after bonuses) because it was working for a bunch of fucking Indians aka HCL, in some shithole Chicago suburb.

• 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Speaking as someone currently on vacation in the most magical place on Earth (aka Disney World) anyone who forgoes vacations just doesnt get it. The 7 days being unplugged is therapeutic. I call my office once a day to check in and make sure no fires exist. Beyond that, its overpriced food and drink and watching the kid have the time of her life. And you can check in on FOH while waiting in an hour line for Space Mountain.

• 9Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 10 users

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Yeah but I can pull in 140K+ here working hourly at my current rate, plus an extra couple thousand in Amazon gift cards for bonuses/holiday coverage.

I turned down a job for 110K (after bonuses) because it was working for a bunch of fucking Indians aka HCL, in some shithole Chicago suburb.

Which is fine assuming the extra 30k is worth the extra overtime for you, but you’re still dodging the point. The money isn’t a source of happiness for you, but the fear of being poor is— you won’t be poor making 110k, and that confirms your job market viability if you were to lose this job, which you wouldn’t lose anyways if you decided to take a two week vacation. As an IT manager that knows how hard it is to find good IT staff, I may talk tough to my staff, but I would bend over backwards to accommodate the good ones if pressed to do so.

It would be a lot simpler if you just said you don’t want to explore any avenues of potential happiness, or even easier just say you hate traveling.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
It gives me vacation days but the various perks of my shift, a 15% shift differential and 12-15 hours of time and a half on Sundays, do not apply if vacation or personal time is used on those days.

Nor do the 5-20 hours of OT I regularly get per week, obviously.

So I am better off just not taking my time off. I only get 80 hours of vacation anyway.
If you really wanted it you could make a short Thailand vacation work. Hell I can think of a lot of itineraries for week long trips. Could use your mega dollars and go gorilla trekking in Rwanda. That's a week long trip, can even be shorter.

Problem is you just love being miserable because it's easy. Not helping yourself is easy. It's easy to be the victim. I know people just like you. No one can fix that shit for you but you. Choose the life you want. Not gonna invest more time reiterating what everyone else has said. Skeptical you just use this mo to troll for attention.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
My wife and I lived with my parents in their basement for a month or so after we got married. I keep telling her that I regret moving out, but she remains unconvinced.

You know for most of human history generations of people lived in the same house. what we do now where everyone moves out is historically abnormal.

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>

Take the vacay. Doooit. You deserve it. Im serious.

I work in the same industry as you but way higher up the food chain. I live under a TON of pressure. You will find just by getting away for a bit it will change your life and perspective. Just doooit. Ironically you will end up being able to work more and earn more money by taking the time away.

i wont even get into alarm fatigue etc and the effects of what you do long term without a break. either that or come up with some fucking ideas about a trip you need to do professionally for training etc or a conference and go to a boondoggle and get paid for it. Just go do something. I can line up some resources and training that you could probably get an excuse to go boondoggle at. If they wont do that they suck and you deserve a vacation anyways

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>
Speaking as someone currently on vacation in the most magical place on Earth (aka Disney World) anyone who forgoes vacations just doesnt get it. The 7 days being unplugged is therapeutic. I call my office once a day to check in and make sure no fires exist. Beyond that, its overpriced food and drink and watching the kid have the time of her life. And you can check in on FOH while waiting in an hour line for Space Mountain.

the american dream bro. You do you. I cant wait to take my kid there one day when he gets older lmfao

• 1Solidarity

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
which you wouldn’t lose anyways if you decided to take a two week vacation.
I won't lose my job if I take a vacation, but I'll lose at the very least 30% of my normal base pay for those, and use up all my vacation time, which also doubles as my sick time since we don't get sick days.

Also, I literally do not know how to travel. I've only been on three trips ever, and they were for competitions in high school (VICA, FBLA) and everything was basically arranged for me. My parents never traveled either in their adult lives, my mom traveled a lot as a kid because her father was a semi-famous pianist, and my dad saw basically all of Europe in the USMC.

We were just never in the class of people who took vacations.

I'm also just super afraid that if I ever do break out of the pattern I'm in, what happens if I don't want to ever go back?

Oh god, I'm like Morty playing Roy..."You beat cancer and then you went back to work at the carpet store?"

• 1Potato

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Do you ever post on the P99 boards still? I haven't looked at that place in years. I wonder what they would think of you now.

Probably about the same I suppose really.

• 1Worf

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
If you don't know how to vacation, take a cruise, literally no thinking required.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I won't lose my job if I take a vacation, but I'll lose at the very least 30% of my normal base pay for those, and use up all my vacation time, which also doubles as my sick time since we don't get sick days.

Also, I literally do not know how to travel. I've only been on three trips ever, and they were for competitions in high school (VICA, FBLA) and everything was basically arranged for me. My parents never traveled either in their adult lives, my mom traveled a lot as a kid because her father was a semi-famous pianist, and my dad saw basically all of Europe in the USMC.

I'm also just super afraid that if I ever do break out of the pattern I'm in, what happens if I don't want to ever go back?

Oh god, I'm like Morty playing Roy..."You beat cancer and then you went back to work at the carpet store?"
Take a week then instead of 2 if you're worried about having no leave.

• 1Solidarity

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
L

You literally just expressed the EXACT reasons and criterion for why you should travel, and exactly why it is the cure to your ills.

You’re afraid because you “don’t know how to travel”. This is the exact fear that you need to challenge, and whose resolution will provide the excitement and unfamiliar environments and situations you need. Have money for a hotel wherever you plan on going? If yes, then you have nothing to fear.

Pick 3 places in Europe or Asia, book hotels and flights in those places, and let the randomness of your travels fill in the rest.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

Traveling is easy, you should learn it. Buy a ticket online, book a hotel online. Get on the plane, get to the hotel. Surely you can handle that.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
I'm a homebody. I am visibly uncomfortable when I leave home. I don't vacation. I generally don't do much but sit on my bony ass. However, I recently had the chance to go to Las Vegas. Incel Hell. And you know what? I didn't really find much there for me. BUT. The mere act of getting out of my comfort zone was enough. I spent like four days there and I could feel it. The unanchoring from what I was and the opening of possibllity. The thing Mist fears the most. The unknown of what COULD be. I get it; I feared it, too. But in those few days, I at least saw it. Recognized it for what it was.

Do it, you miserable taco muncher. What's the worst that could happen? You accidentally enjoy yourself? Hell, who knows, you might die on the plane or of food poisoning. So, something good COULD happen. You don't know me or have reason to believe me, but what they're saying is true. Won't know til you try. Get busy livin, or get busy dyin.

1566338050407.png

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
Didn't take long for this to become a Mist thread.

Just stream yourself scissoring various broads for us.

• 2Truth!