I am currently living in my parents basement. AMA

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
come to think of it, perhaps that's the difference with me vs. most other men that end up in their parents' house as an adult. perhaps living in the basement affords some sort of shelter from whatever it is that caused my cancer? hm....

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Mist Mist

You don't need an expensive vacation or anything else specifically, you're just stuck in a rut and sticking with what's familiar, and life shrinks around you as a result. Been there, done that. A vacation will help in the short term but it's the equivalent of a fat couch potato slogging through a marathon. It sounds grand but it is not a strategy for long term success. Smaller, incremental (but consistent) changes will lead to better results.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Tldw take a walk in that park next to your apartment every day?
I go for a 5 mile walk every day that isn't raining or horribly overcast (because bugs will try to eat me alive.)

I have a reasonably well kept 2 acre lawn, with various invasive plants kept at bay, and work around 52-60 hours a week.

I don't have any physiological symptoms of depression; I am never sick, rarely tired (despite working second/third shift) and generally get very good sleep aside unless I haven't got any fresh air/sunlight a few days in a row.

I'm coming to the conclusion that I'm not actually depressed, that I'm just sad and miserable. And that's ultimately harder to deal with, it's not some problem with some neurotransmitters, it's a problem with my actual life.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I go for a 5 mile walk every day that isn't raining or horribly overcast (because bugs will try to eat me alive.)

I have a reasonably well kept 2 acre lawn, with various invasive plants kept at bay, and work around 52-60 hours a week.

I don't have any physiological symptoms of depression; I am never sick, rarely tired (despite working second/third shift) and generally get very good sleep aside unless I haven't got any fresh air/sunlight a few days in a row.

I'm coming to the conclusion that I'm not actually depressed, that I'm just sad and miserable. And that's ultimately harder to deal with, it's not some problem with some neurotransmitters, it's a problem with my actual life.
Then change ffs

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

khorum

Murder Apologist

^ needs dick

• 7Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 9 users

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Yeah Mist Mist you just need some nut. You may not think you enjoy it but it's what your body is telling you.

Your mood will change when you notice the baby bump in the mirror.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Then change ffs
I don't know what I'm supposed to change it to.

My parents were not good models for pursuing happiness. My mom was sick all the time and just trying to survive being sick and poor, and my stepfather was more fatalistic and miserable than I am.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
^ needs dick
Yeah Mist Mist you just need some nut. You may not think you enjoy it but it's what your body is telling you.

Your mood will change when you notice the baby bump in the mirror.
That ain't it. I find just the very smell of men to be absolutely revolting, near vomit-inducing. When I tell this to straight women they can't imagine what I'm talking about.

Also, you guys can joke all you want. I was never going to be able to have kids. My mom had a bunch of surgeries to fix her insides enough to get pregnant, had a really fucked up first pregnancy attempt that nearly killed her, and then barely had me. And she didn't have 6 hick girls play hopscotch on her intestines for 20 minutes straight on the playground like I did. I don't even want to know what my insides look like, it's one of the main reasons I've never seen a doctor in adulthood.

• 1WTF
Reactions: 1 user

maskedmelon

Orator of Superfluous Nothings
I don't know what I'm supposed to change it to.

My parents were not good models for pursuing happiness. My mom was sick all the time and just trying to survive being sick and poor, and my stepfather was more fatalistic and miserable than I am.

I wouldnt worry about what you should change to, just pursue balance and it will work itself out. In addition to burden, one needs three things for a happy mind:

1. Sleep
2. Fun
3. Rest

Many people struggle with the last one, which is neither fun nor sleep. You really have to take time away from stimulation. If you are going on walks, that is an excellent start, but I'd suggest slowing your pace, emptying your head and just look at shit as you walk by, the veins in leaves, the texture of the trail, patterns of plants. Don't think about it, just explore it. It's a good way of calming/clearing your mind. Also, breath and chew more slowly and step outside your head to not think whenever you find yourself basing things in your mind. Im not saying to avoid them, just put them in their place and don't not let them consume you. write them down and let them go. You can have them back by reviewing your list whenever you need.

THEN, think about what you want. Ask yourself and be honest. You will know. Make the changes necessary to pursue it, or if it is simply not an option then accept that, mourn it and let it the fuck go and find something else that IS an option within the parameters you've established for your life.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

maskedmelon

Orator of Superfluous Nothings
Also, hellooooo ^^/ I don't really know you and you don't know me, just sharing what I've learned in the event it might be helpful!

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Seems like this has become a "recommend mist vacations" thread.

Fuck cruises and Costa Rica. Those are trips for pussies and pleebs. Do a safari on the Masai Mara or Serengeti, go gorilla trekking in Rwanda, go chill in cape Town diving with great whites and drink awesome wine, do a road trip through Jordan, go visit Chernobyl in Ukraine, go shoot an rpg with the Cambodian military, etc

I got a million ideas. Mostly because I've done them.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
That ain't it. I find just the very smell of men to be absolutely revolting, near vomit-inducing. When I tell this to straight women they can't imagine what I'm talking about.

Also, you guys can joke all you want. I was never going to be able to have kids. My mom had a bunch of surgeries to fix her insides enough to get pregnant, had a really fucked up first pregnancy attempt that nearly killed her, and then barely had me. And she didn't have 6 hick girls play hopscotch on her intestines for 20 minutes straight on the playground like I did. I don't even want to know what my insides look like, it's one of the main reasons I've never seen a doctor in adulthood.

I think you should try heroin.

• 3Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I swear an OkCupid account would be the best thing - find someone as miserable as you, and be miserable together. While scissoring.

• 2Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>

okvknf7f30i31.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users