Interesting, Non Political News

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Here's an article that discusses a genetic mutation in northern Europeans and tells a story of human health and agricultural development. It starts our fairly dry but as you read on it presents some interesting bits of knowledge and history.

The immune system sequesters iron when the body becomes infected with disease/parasites to limit their replication, oddly enough this gives peoples in malaria+ zones added protection from the nastier viruses. But foreigners who aren't harboring these low grade infestations find themselves especially vulnerable to severe effects because the infection has more to work with. Which casts the old practice of bleeding a patient in a new light in particular cases.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

I just thought this was badass. I'd love to do something like this.

• 2Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
"some guys are always trying to fight unethical, like the guy trying to kick you in the face"

lol. A real shame hand to hand combat wasnt and probably still isnt more heavily emphasized. Gotta make time for all those sexual harassment classes.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
My Dad used to do commercial diving like this. Cool video because they just have insane visibility in whatever area they are in. Usually you can barely see a few feet in front of your face. I've seen a lot of his old recordings as all of these jobs use live feeds and record stuff. But yeah, welding a pipe when you can barely see your hands in front of your face is the norm. lol.

• 2Like

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
First read the headline. Thats the journalist's conclusions. Now read the article itself:
A 2003 Nielsen survey found that 52% of shoppers considered self checkout lanes to be “okay,” while 16% said they were “frustrating.” Thirty-two percent of shoppers called them “great.”
52+32=84

Eighty-four percent of shoppers rated self checkout as "ok" or "great".

CNN concludes, "everyone hates self checkout".

If you hate self checkout you might be dumber than the person who wrote this article.

I don't think I've used a standard "hand your shit to a mentally deficient cashier and have a conversation" mode of shopping since self checkout was introduced and can't imagine doing so ever again.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Cybsled

I don’t understand why you would hate self checkout.

1) I’m usually faster than most cashiers
2) No feeling like you’re being judged for what you’re buying
3) Avoid social interaction with randos

The people who fucking try to self checkout 10000 items or are the same people who couldn’t set the clock on a VCR are the ones who mess it up for everyone

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Izo

Tranny Chaser
FC60988D-B277-421B-8FBC-D613B0F463A2.jpeg

Good news for the average FoH alcoholic!

Summary​

Background​

The health risks associated with moderate alcohol consumption continue to be debated. Small amounts of alcohol might lower the risk of some health outcomes but increase the risk of others, suggesting that the overall risk depends, in part, on background disease rates, which vary by region, age, sex, and year.

Methods​

For this analysis, we constructed burden-weighted dose–response relative risk curves across 22 health outcomes to estimate the theoretical minimum risk exposure level (TMREL) and non-drinker equivalence (NDE), the consumption level at which the health risk is equivalent to that of a non-drinker, using disease rates from the Global Burden of Diseases, Injuries, and Risk Factors Study (GBD) 2020 for 21 regions, including 204 countries and territories, by 5-year age group, sex, and year for individuals aged 15–95 years and older from 1990 to 2020. Based on the NDE, we quantified the population consuming harmful amounts of alcohol.

Findings​

The burden-weighted relative risk curves for alcohol use varied by region and age. Among individuals aged 15–39 years in 2020, the TMREL varied between 0 (95% uncertainty interval 0–0) and 0·603 (0·400–1·00) standard drinks per day, and the NDE varied between 0·002 (0–0) and 1·75 (0·698–4·30) standard drinks per day. Among individuals aged 40 years and older, the burden-weighted relative risk curve was J-shaped for all regions, with a 2020 TMREL that ranged from 0·114 (0–0·403) to 1·87 (0·500–3·30) standard drinks per day and an NDE that ranged between 0·193 (0–0·900) and 6·94 (3·40–8·30) standard drinks per day. Among individuals consuming harmful amounts of alcohol in 2020, 59·1% (54·3–65·4) were aged 15–39 years and 76·9% (73·0–81·3) were male.

Interpretation​

There is strong evidence to support recommendations on alcohol consumption varying by age and location. Stronger interventions, particularly those tailored towards younger individuals, are needed to reduce the substantial global health loss attributable to alcohol.

Funding​

Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
Greeat funding there, Bill.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I don’t understand why you would hate self checkout.

1) I’m usually faster than most cashiers
2) No feeling like you’re being judged for what you’re buying
3) Avoid social interaction with randos

The people who fucking try to self checkout 10000 items or are the same people who couldn’t set the clock on a VCR are the ones who mess it up for everyone

1. if you only have under a certain amount of items
2. that's your weird shit
3. again, you've got problems if you can't say hi to the person checking you out and go about your day

The biggest problem with self checkout is they no longer staff the checker lanes properly so when I have a full cart there's a good chance it's going to be shit checking out no matter what I do.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Cybsled

That is true - at many of the regular super markets near us, I don't see many staffed lines. When I was in school and worked at one, I remember usually at least 70% or more of the lanes were staffed on weekday afternoons, and almost full on weekends. Although at places like Costco or Whole Foods, they still almost fully staff all the regular lanes. Actually, self checkout is a godsend for Costco. Even with them stacking the self-checkouts, the lines are still ass even with all the regular lanes staffed lol

IMO they're a good replacement for express checkout, but they suck for full carts. I've noticed they design most of them to discourage large checkouts

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
  • 1Like

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
lol you oldschool checkout people are crazy.

It absolutely doesnt take longer. No way, under any circumstances. What, you're saying the professionals swipe the items across the scanner faster? Do they have superior bagging skills? Trust the experts, after all! If you like this, you're gonna love how gas stations work in OR and NJ...

As for the social shit. Its not like its a phobia or something. Its not like I'm scared to talk to cashiers. I. Don't. Fucking. Like. People. How hard is that to understand?

Why would you want a useless, unnecessary interaction with people that does nothing but slow down your day, make you pretend smile and have that whole internal "its wrong to murder people" conversation with yourself yet again this morning, and costs you fucking extra money? (What, you think the cashiers work for free or something?)

You're just wrong. You have a bad opinion and you should feel bad about it. Self checkout is superior in every way and cashiers should be eliminated everywhere.

• 1Dislike
  • 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
lol you oldschool checkout people are crazy.

It absolutely doesnt take longer. No way, under any circumstances. What, you're saying the professionals swipe the items across the scanner faster? Do they have superior bagging skills? Trust the experts, after all! If you like this, you're gonna love how gas stations work in OR and NJ...

As for the social shit. Its not like its a phobia or something. Its not like I'm scared to talk to cashiers. I. Don't. Fucking. Like. People. How hard is that to understand?

Why would you want a useless, unnecessary interaction with people that does nothing but slow down your day, make you pretend smile and have that whole internal "its wrong to murder people" conversation with yourself yet again this morning, and costs you fucking extra money? (What, you think the cashiers work for free or something?)

You're just wrong. You have a bad opinion and you should feel bad about it. Self checkout is superior in every way and cashiers should be eliminated everywhere.
I hope you get kidney stones by tomorrow morning. I want you to survive the experience, then develop more and die from those.

• 1Worf

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I don't think I've used a standard "hand your shit to a mentally deficient cashier and have a conversation" mode of shopping since self checkout was introduced and can't imagine doing so ever again.

Lines are now longer in self checkout than cashier lines at my local Walmart. It's still quicker to wait in the 40 deep self checkout line than one with Janet the cashier trying to figure out the bagging carousel.