Interesting, Non Political News

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
imagine driving home from work, park in your garage and then you call your wife to open the car door

Cybsled

How does a carbon fiber sub that has a ruptured hull resurface automagicly ?

If it was filled with water, it wouldn't

Supposedly it has some fail safes for ballast release (both manual and automatic). If it wasn't filled with water, but it was caught on something, then it wouldn't go anywhere. And it is possible it could have floated towards the surface, but apparently the submersible doesn't fully surface and they painted the thing blue/white, which doesn't make it stand out against the ocean.

The sonar buoys they launched could potentially triangulate its position if that sound they are picking up is being made by the people inside

Cybsled

Supposedly the debris field found by the ROV included parts of the sub, which seems to confirm it imploded. There will be an official statement from the coast guard later with more info

vGrade

Potato del Grande
Supposedly the debris field found by the ROV included parts of the sub, which seems to confirm it imploded. There will be an official statement from the coast guard later with more info
Best way to go. No 5 days of claustrophobia. Their brains wouldn't had time to even register a millisecond of implosion sounds.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

I’ve heard unsubstantiated reports that prior to losing communication, it was reported the sub was descending faster than expected. I wouldn’t be shocked if it descended too fast and the rapid changes in pressure stressed the hull too much and caused an implosion

At least it would have been over almost instantly for them. That also means they have probably been dead ever since communications were lost

McShrimp

Molten Core Raider
it was reported the sub was descending faster than expected.
I'm going to choose to believe that one of the billionaires got impatient and pushed the 'Go Down' button.

Unfortunately, we probably won't ever really know. If a "black box" type device is even feasible at these depths, I doubt the CEO thought it was worth the cost to include one.

Cybsled

Recovery wouldn’t yield much either and be difficult/expensive to pull off. The families of the clients are rich enough, but if there are no bodies to recover, I wouldn’t be shocked it they decide to let the wreck stay where it lies

pwe

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Of course jumping into some kiddy pool wouldn't work, but if I saw a huge ass lake as an option, I'd definitely b-line right toward it and jump in to swim away, instead of thinking "It won't work, they'll hover there forever". Bees aren't acquatic animals, I'll take my chances with the water.
Let’s hope they don’t work in shifts or call in reinforcements or some shit. Going to be a long day of popping up random places, seeing the little fuckers charging, and then diving again. Either that or getting turned into an inverted porcupine.

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
here is an actual tested, demonstrated and rated vessel that this billionaire could have easily contracted with

It’s been to the bottom of the Mariana Trench (3x deeper than the titanic sits) twenty times and it’s rated to go deeper than the ocean is known to be at its deepest point.

nah, fuck it, let’s fly economy

Last edited:

Cybsled

That sub you listed is great, but only had room for 1 paying customer. For a commercial enterprise trying to sell tours, they would have needed something with more capacity

In theory they should have been able to commission one to those standards, but they probably scoffed at the price and decided to DYI something instead

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The CEO was an incompetent fucktard.

The single best part of this event was the press conference where an assortment of 50 year old white guys described how he died.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
That sub you listed is great, but only had room for 1 paying customer. For a commercial enterprise trying to sell tours, they would have needed something with more capacity

In theory they should have been able to commission one to those standards, but they probably scoffed at the price and decided to DYI something instead
I was saying from the perspective of the billionaire looking for an adventure...fuck the grifter that got everyone including himself killed.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I'm no expert on carbon, but I know F1 parts are put together with a weave that is strong from a particular direction. Suspension parts for instance don't do well with hits from the side as they are strong in the vertical direction. I wonder if it was extruded vertically or if it was a joined roll. That would create a seam perpendicular to the strong direction.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I'm heading out to do a lidar + livestream demo today, with an agricultural consultant/remote sensing company. I knew they were going to have a burro at the demo, but I just found out they're going to have one of these Yamaha behemoths out there too.

• 2Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

ha, they taking his house and it's not even gonna be given credit for what he owes
82f24272251f5fe7cf95c77b1a1c4475.png

• 1WTF

Cybsled

Elon doesn't renew Google cloud data contract and suddenly implements a shitty read post limit on Twitter (which counts replies on tweets and random shit you scroll past). I imagine he will reverse this even more once the advertisers realize people can't see their stuff lol

• 1Like