Interesting, Non Political News

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Dudes gonna need that head in a jar tech from futurama to serve this out.
Should have been death by burning.
Alabama man sentenced to more than 600 years in jail for sex crimes

An Alabama man convicted of sexually abusing five underage girls was sentenced Wednesday to more than six centuries in prison.

Smith, 35, admitted to the sex crimes against the girls -- all under the age of 16 -- and apologized to them in court. He was charged with multiple counts of sodomy, sexual abuse, and rape.

District Attorney J.T. Jones almost teared up while describing Smith's crimes to the judge.

“When you deal with cases that involve children, particularly young children, it’s going to hit your heartstrings every time," Jones said. "You get to know them [the victims] and you feel the pain they go through."

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Dudes gonna need that head in a jar tech from futurama to serve this out.
Should have been death by burning.
Alabama man sentenced to more than 600 years in jail for sex crimes

An Alabama man convicted of sexually abusing five underage girls was sentenced Wednesday to more than six centuries in prison.

Smith, 35, admitted to the sex crimes against the girls -- all under the age of 16 -- and apologized to them in court. He was charged with multiple counts of sodomy, sexual abuse, and rape.

District Attorney J.T. Jones almost teared up while describing Smith's crimes to the judge.

“When you deal with cases that involve children, particularly young children, it’s going to hit your heartstrings every time," Jones said. "You get to know them [the victims] and you feel the pain they go through."

I ‘liked’ this post because I it’s a post deserving of a ‘like’, however... the contents of this post really make me wonder what the fuck is wrong with us as a species. The only way to describe how it makes me feel is “I can’t even” oddly enough.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
I ‘liked’ this post because I it’s a post deserving of a ‘like’, however... the contents of this post really make me wonder what the fuck is wrong with us as a species. The only way to describe how it makes me feel is “I can’t even” oddly enough.
Just makes me pissed off and sick to the stomach.
But also gives me some serious hope with them being busted constantly. About fucking time.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Really? Isn't this on the level of you walking in on your wife getting fucked, and killing them both?

If it was a fuck yeah state like Florida or Texas the guy would have a good chance, but since it was in Philly I'd be nervous. PA laws don't seem to restrictive on self defense but philly has been steadily sliding left to the point that it may come down to who his jury is.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Think I've made this argument before actually but beating a guy to death is a pretty brutal and savage act that generally takes a significant amount of time compared to killing someone with a weapon. Your children are no longer in danger once you've chased him down and pulled him out of the car (pretty safe bet they didn't beat him to death behind the wheel), so you no longer have justification for lethal force.

• 1Like

Goonsquad Officer
I couldn't get it to load. Did he beat the man to submission which also killed him, or did he beat an unconscious body to death?

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
From the article.

"The father then pulled the thief out of the car and began beating him, according to investigators. Police said other bystanders in the area joined the attack"

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
I don't blame the father at all. I'm generally a peaceful person but if my son is abducted or abused in anyway I would do heinous, heinous things to that individual. I sure wouldn't kill them but that motherfucker wouldn't be comfortable ever again.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
"Other bystanders" will make that interesting. I'm guessing the father is a minority or they would've plastered it everywhere that it was a racial hate crime.

• 3Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Think I've made this argument before actually but beating a guy to death is a pretty brutal and savage act that generally takes a significant amount of time compared to killing someone with a weapon.

I get what you're saying...but if someone abducted my daughter (they can have the boy), I personally can see myself beating the perpetrator to death if I got my hands on him.

• 5Like
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 7 users

Goonsquad Officer
I just think it's important to stop the abduction, then stop the abductor fleeing. if the abductor wants to fight till he's dead so be it. I applaud the crowd for stopping it and delivering a sound beating.

But if he surrendered right away and then they took turns curb stomping him then i can understand that they may have gone overboard :)

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I get what you're saying...but if someone abducted my daughter (they can have the boy), I personally can see myself beating the perpetrator to death if I got my hands on him.

We don't have a lot of details here so it's hard to say for sure. I got no problem with someone stomping a mudhole in a dude who stole his car with two children in it. I also got no problem if he just shot him outright. When you beat someone to death, barring some freak accident of his head hitting the ground just right, it's basically impossible to say that he was still enough of a threat to you or your family to justify the ongoing use of lethal force. At SOME point in that beating, the dude becomes little more than a side of beef, and continuing the beating at that point is akin to using a gun to execute someone you've already disabled with your first shot.

I'm not opposed to the use of lethal force in this situation, but a beating is very different from a shooting.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
We don't have a lot of details here so it's hard to say for sure. I got no problem with someone stomping a mudhole in a dude who stole his car with two children in it. I also got no problem if he just shot him outright. When you beat someone to death, barring some freak accident of his head hitting the ground just right, it's basically impossible to say that he was still enough of a threat to you or your family to justify the ongoing use of lethal force. At SOME point in that beating, the dude becomes little more than a side of beef, and continuing the beating at that point is akin to using a gun to execute someone you've already disabled with your first shot.

I'm not opposed to the use of lethal force in this situation, but a beating is very different from a shooting.
This seems like a weird example to use. If I'm put in a situation where I feel the need to shoot someone, I'm shooting until they're dead. There is no such thing as "shoot to wound."

Similarly, in this circumstance, how do you know the guy isn't a threat anymore? Are you just going to assume he's probably hurt enough that he's not going to now turn around and kill you and your children? No, probably not. The criminal is the one who escalated the situation. At that point you're just following through to neutralize the threat.

I'm not even a parent, and I'd fucking kill the guy.

• 4Solidarity
  • 3Like
Reactions: 6 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
This seems like a weird example to use. If I'm put in a situation where I feel the need to shoot someone, I'm shooting until they're dead. There is no such thing as "shoot to wound."

At no point did I ever say any nonsense about 'shoot to wound'. Situations that justify the use of lethal force do not create a fucking casus belli wherein you are allowed to continue to use lethal force against a person for the rest of time until that person is dead. If the person survives your use of lethal force and no longer presents a threat that justifies the use of lethal force, any continued use of lethal force against that person is now a criminal act. Now obviously we don't have health bars irl which is why things like the reasonable person standard exist.

The dude continued to use lethal force after the situation (from what little detail we have) no longer justified it.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
If this guy was beaten to death it was probably a head injury that caused it. If you keep beating somone while they are unconscious, having a seizure or are in the fencing position defenseless it's more like murder as it's pretty obvious to most people they (the perp) are in serious trouble and the threat has been neutralised.

That said it's pretty hard to tell in a fight with adrenaline and other people involved didn't help much.

People get killed all the time from one punch to the head, the actual punch kills them (not falling and hitting their head). The BBC made a documentary about it as more common than people think.

I got no sympathy for the guy but it might not be cut and dry.