Invincible

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
It was really really good, Mark is just too much of a bitch in the show compared to the comic. I was defending the show earlier but he just seems so less like the 2nd strongest hero on Earth, the only one who could stand up to Omni-Man and more like Amber's bitch guy. This fight and the Machine Head fight, Mark just feels tougher in the comics even if the outcomes are mostly the same. Show Mark just seems way more fragile and less capable/powerful.

In the finale he is a little more powered up but the fights in the comic were better on the page than they were in the show, IMO. I guess its part of the overall arc, and leaves room for Mark to grow but they aren't satisfying to watch at all, to watch Mark lose consistently to, well everyone, including Amber.

The fights themselves with the end disregard for human life were, just as you would expect for real super powered beings to be. I am surprised by the praise, I guess shocked by the shock? After Omni-man went to town on the Guardians, there was no doubt this show was going for broke. In fact, some of the scenes may be shot for shot. I think the Immortal dismemberment right before the "Mark, we need to talk" is straight off the page.

The ending montage reveals just why the comic was awesome and what the show could be. Hopefully they get to all that stuff; Season 1 is the first 12 issues {Fake edit: 13 with the aftermath, indeed] and it went to 150 [Fake Edit: 144]. Surely they can get 5 good seasons AT LEAST without going GOT in there.

Yes Omni-man has a redemption arc. Yes you can redeem yourself when billions of lives are at stake.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
My whole take on invincible being weak... Disclaimer: I didn't read the comics, though I'm familiar with them and the overall story.

Dude named himself invincible like THE DAY he found out he had super powers. They even call him out on it for being presumptuous. He gave himself a name without earning it and this is sort of karmic fallout for that.

On top of that, superman was super boring to read initially once you got past the hero fantasy of it all, so they invented kryptonite after the fact to give the character some suspense. Mark is green, and they've shown that he just has so little experience. It's a little silly but batman is the opposite of that. No powers but his experience is so vast that it levels the playing field against anyone he fights.

Obviously I don't know the nuances of the comics but since the guy running the show is the same one who wrote the comics, I imagine that the differences between the show and the comics basically just come down to the differences between the medium.

Omni-man taking out the guardians for example. In the comics it all basically happened off screen, sort of to show how nonchalantly omni-man took them out. You can show that better in animation. OR Robert kirkman decided that it was a mistake to not show it in the comics so he wanted to do the scene "correctly"

• 1Garbage
Reactions: 1 user

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
In the comics he's kind of retarded at first as well, he grows and matures.

• 1Like

Cybsled

Mark is still a teenager at this point. The way he acts isn't that unusual when considered under that lens.

• 1Like

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
My whole take on invincible being weak... Disclaimer: I didn't read the comics, though I'm familiar with them and the overall story.

Dude named himself invincible like THE DAY he found out he had super powers. They even call him out on it for being presumptuous. He gave himself a name without earning it and this is sort of karmic fallout for that.

On top of that, superman was super boring to read initially once you got past the hero fantasy of it all, so they invented kryptonite after the fact to give the character some suspense. Mark is green, and they've shown that he just has so little experience. It's a little silly but batman is the opposite of that. No powers but his experience is so vast that it levels the playing field against anyone he fights.

Obviously I don't know the nuances of the comics but since the guy running the show is the same one who wrote the comics, I imagine that the differences between the show and the comics basically just come down to the differences between the medium.

Omni-man taking out the guardians for example. In the comics it all basically happened off screen, sort of to show how nonchalantly omni-man took them out. You can show that better in animation. OR Robert kirkman decided that it was a mistake to not show it in the comics so he wanted to do the scene "correctly"
yeah. While the comic was notably bloody and gruesome, what was shown was largely still frames. The TV show is arguably much more, as they make entire scenes like the subway car, etc.

Main differances is, this is moving much faster, focusing way more on the A plot, and action. While the comic spent way more time on characters. We are skipping out on alot of character development. and entire side characters.
Things are also happening out of order a bit.

like, Mark going to Mars, happened AFTER Nolan left.

or, back when I was mentioning the running joke of William being taken out for a flight being skipped. the timeline was moved around a bit.

omniman "redemption". I'm not sure I would say he is every entirely "redeemed".

but he, like MOST of the villain's are just more.. tolerated/accepted/put to work.
you'll notice that theme. Almost none of them die. and they all are put to work dealing with bigger threats.
For everyone but Mark, its more tolerated for the sake of peace. for Mark, he is his dad. iirc, hes not allowed near marks kids was he?

and of course the end is kindof pyrrhic in that way. A truce, and humanity is 100% fucked in the long run, like the Voltron Reboot.. oh, so you have humans with 100year life spans, no super powers, and you have a race that can interbreed, and genetically dominate traits, thats lives 20000years+ and has super powers. these races are supposed to coexist somehow? humanity would be gone within 2000 years.

Last edited:

spronk

FPS noob
some spicy memes with THINK MARK, THINK

ijgbr07mp3x61.jpg

Last edited:
  • 4Worf
  • 1Double Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

McFly

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Just binged this first season tonight. I didn't read the comic.

Would recommend. 8.5/10

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Was better than I expected, style was meh, but I got used to it. Silly name for a character though, I could see him the whole time.

• 3Worf
  • 2Rustled
  • 2Rimshot
Reactions: 10 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yes Omni-man has a redemption arc. Yes you can redeem yourself when billions of lives are at stake.
This is why I typically don't read tv show threads. Any other dumbass diatribes that end in spoilers you want to share?

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
This is why I typically don't read tv show threads. Any other dumbass diatribes that end in spoilers you want to share?
Anything I could post that would work that way but for the whole forum? It was referring to the comics, not the TV show, and an earlier question of how could Omni man now have a redemption arc. All the stars burn out in a googol years and the universe settles into heat death I hear. SPOILER ALERT. TV Forum would already be dead by then, though.

Cybsled

All the stars burn out in a googol years and the universe settles into heat death I hear. SPOILER ALERT. TV Forum would already be dead by then, though.

It is said information cannot be destroyed, though. Some advanced alien species will be able to piece it back together billions of years in the future, not understand what the fuck everyone is going on about, then toss it to the side.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
In the Three Body Problem series of books, they are looking at long term data storage (very, very long term, like a billion years) and they go through the options, then eventually settle on carving into rock on distant planets with no atmosphere to speak of and talk about how that will outlast any kind of media we can conceive. At the time, all I could think of is the poor guy who has to carve all the memes and shitposts into the crust of Pluto.

Spoilers for 3 body I guess, sorry Tuco didn't mean to ruin your black panther party.