Job Hunting

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I had an interview with Weedmaps today and they scheduled a zoom interview but never showed up on their end.

I guess this is at least not unexpected from the Cannabis industry. lol!

• 2Like
  • 2Worf
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 4 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
TomServo TomServo have you ever approached a current employer telling them you have an offer elsewhere for more money? How did it go?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Worked for me, I still work there, got a nice raise and bonus for the next two years.

I wouldn't have mentioned it was from weedmaps though.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
TomServo TomServo have you ever approached a current employer telling them you have an offer elsewhere for more money? How did it go?
Decide first whether you want to stay with your current company or not. If yes, give them the opportunity to make a counter offer, but know that you might lower your /con with them in the process no matter how it plays out.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
No. I've always just trended up over time with new positions. it helps most places fucking hate promoting from within.

agripa

Molten Core Raider
It is murder trying to get any of my reports a >10% raise but very easy to bring someone in at 30-40% above our current median salary. We will counter offer because the market is so hard to find people and the employee has a lot of tribal knowledge we would lose. It is a crap shoot if they stay as most people are not just leaving for the money. The counter offer also puts the company on notice you are at risk of leaving again.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
It is murder trying to get any of my reports a >10% raise but very easy to bring someone in at 30-40% above our current median salary. We will counter offer because the market is so hard to find people and the employee has a lot of tribal knowledge we would lose. It is a crap shoot if they stay as most people are not just leaving for the money. The counter offer also puts the company on notice you are at risk of leaving again.
That seems retarded to me. I like my company and job. But there's a shitload of money out there now so I'm working for $30k-$50k or more less than I would be if I just got another job. Which is hard to just do.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
In 2013 I was working on a 6 month contract for a major corporation. I hated the job like slow poison, but I had just had a kid so I was trying to get on permanent, and then maybe get transferred into a less shit job.

For leverage I interviewed at about 4 companies and was offered a job at an even less desirable place. I used it to get my contract extended but never did get on permanent.

In the meantime, Calgary had a "every 100 years or more" flood that summer, and my team lead disappeared on stress leave when her house was destroyed. The VP wanted me to be the Team Lead with no additional pay and no change to contract status. I quit and moved to another job a month later.

By the by, the entire department I was in at that shit company was dissolved less than 2 years later, so sometimes it all works out in the end.

Eight years later and I can't even get a sniff of a first response to a job application in the oil and gas industry. Back in 2013 I was working several different leads at once, while working on contract, and now the only time my phone rings it is either my baby mamma or some sort of scam (sometimes both har har).

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
The few I've dealt with simply follow a list of "wants". Miss one "want" on your resume and they don't even look at it. Mentioned it before. When I was hired at my last job I saw their ad and responded. It literally looked like they copied my resume. Only so many people would have all those "wants". I applied. Didn't hear anything.

So I looked up the location and only 3-4 of those companies in the country, only 1 in that town/region. So I sent a snail mail letter addressed to HR. The HR lady was out of town and they gave it to the president of the company. He called after he got it and hired me on the spot. Also fired the HR lady and the company they had been using to advertise their jobs.

Staffing place told him I got excluded because I didn't list a software package that they are the only company left using. HR lady just "heard" it from someone as it would be nice to have.
In the professional fields in Canada, there is a horrible trend of algorithms being used as an initial filter for resume selection.

When I got laid off in January, the very first thing the outplacement service taught us was how to game the algorithms with keyword matching from the application to your cover letter.

I have 25 years of experience, and to get in the door I have to play word match games? What the actual fuck? This is what happens when you get complacent and don't network for a decade and lose all your contacts - you are left fighting AI's for attention. Edit - In my defense, when I joined this last company, I did it with the express purpose of keeping my head down and working quietly to retirement. I didn't make it........

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
That seems retarded to me. I like my company and job. But there's a shitload of money out there now so I'm working for $30k-$50k or more less than I would be if I just got another job. Which is hard to just do.
That's why I said to decide what you want first and foremost. Honestly, if there isn't something objectively better about your current job I would bounce before trying to do the counter stuff. Leave on decent terms, and if your new place sucks come back in a year or two at a higher rate. Companies treat employees as replaceable assets, so employees should treat companies the same way.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Got an interview with a national pest control company. Basically sans time and money to re train into welding or something else I'm interested in, they train and make decent ish blue collar money. Know a FB friend that works for them, he says after training depending on route it's 65-80k/year gross. Not outstanding, but currently no vacc mandate and is 90% job and 10% sales and other BS.

Looking at it as a fallback if feds dont back down on mandate and my exemption denied. I wish I'd have an answer sooner so I dont have to make a choice about accepting, I'm on track working these kinds of hours to be at 82k gross for the year. And we also get health and wellness that pays my insurance and ~500/month leftover to my 401k. Would rather stay in current job even if hours high since the job is very easy and lets me sit on FOH all day.

My luck if I go over to it, would have something I hate I discover, or get a mandate in a month. I doubt it has the best growth opportunities, and I suspect it's physical enough I'd want out in a decade when I get into my late 40's.

1635959648166.png

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
Got an interview with a national pest control company. Basically sans time and money to re train into welding or something else I'm interested in, they train and make decent ish blue collar money. Know a FB friend that works for them, he says after training depending on route it's 65-80k/year gross. Not outstanding, but currently no vacc mandate and is 90% job and 10% sales and other BS.

Looking at it as a fallback if feds dont back down on mandate and my exemption denied. I wish I'd have an answer sooner so I dont have to make a choice about accepting, I'm on track working these kinds of hours to be at 82k gross for the year. And we also get health and wellness that pays my insurance and ~500/month leftover to my 401k. Would rather stay in current job even if hours high since the job is very easy and lets me sit on FOH all day.

My luck if I go over to it, would have something I hate I discover, or get a mandate in a month. I doubt it has the best growth opportunities, and I suspect it's physical enough I'd want out in a decade when I get into my late 40's.

View attachment 380326
Not to be a downer but an employee of mine got a message from an old FB high school friend too claiming to work for some Shield pest control or some shit. Sent him paystubs showing he made six figures, and telling him how great it is. If it's the same company, or you were solicited like that then something doesn't smell right....

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Not to be a downer but an employee of mine got a message from an old FB high school friend too claiming to work for some Shield pest control or some shit. Sent him paystubs showing he made six figures, and telling him how great it is. If it's the same company, or you were solicited like that then something doesn't smell right....
No, its a buddy we met over hobby stuff and been talking for a few years. I had approached him about it. First looked at it a few years ago when i was leaving sheriff to go back to my current cream job.

Realistically i know the answer is just trying to remain at my current job, just hate the indecision, which itself is really just that I'm still in limbo with the mandate. If i had an answer from the company or there was a new federal backing down id 100% stay.

Last edited:

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I know a guy that has been doing pest control for 10+ years and it seems like he makes very good money and takes most of the winter off to ski. They guy is a natural salesman (bullshitter) though and I don't think if I tried to do what he does it would work for me.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Kinda seems too good to be true, but after 8 years with my current employer and who this is all coming through, it's game on. Still need to tweak my resume and set up a phone/vid interview/chat with the COO.

This is why it sounds too good to be true. Eight years is a long time for salaries to explode around you. Really sucks that new hires typically get fatter pay than people who are 10x the worker they are (at least for the first year or so).

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
This is why it sounds too good to be true. Eight years is a long time for salaries to explode around you. Really sucks that new hires typically get fatter pay than people who are 10x the worker they are (at least for the first year or so).
Yeah, that’s part of it. But also just ready to work somewhere that the majority of people care about the quality of their work and/or have some semblance of a decent work ethic.

“Sam” from my previous post signed his offer letter last night and gave his notice today. wrapping up my resume edits tonight after having a hellish week of the whole family getting that monster cold that’s been going around.

I got the “thanks, no thanks” letter from the EV company I mentioned applying to; no surprise there except that I actually received some sort of a response.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Not outstanding, but currently no vacc mandate and is 90% job and 10% sales and other BS.

Looking at it as a fallback if feds dont back down on mandate and my exemption denied. I wish I'd have an answer sooner so I dont have to make a choice about accepting, I'm on track working these kinds of hours to be at 82k gross for the year.

Imagine where you might be if you weren't such a pussy scared of a little shot?

• 1Edgelord
  • 1NPC
  • 1Cringe
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I tried to turn down the ad company today, I just told them my current place had a counter offer (I was bullshitting to end the conversation). Rather than just go with it they want to meet me again tomorrow. Bleh why is this so hard.