Job Hunting

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I'm a bit worried how drastically the media narrative shifted on WFH. At least from my perspective, they completely skipped vilifying the lazy WFH employee and went straight to shaming people that don't want to commute and "socialize".

Admittedly, I don't have much directly to lose. I live 15 minutes away from my company's office. But I want to keep those 30 minutes each day. We were able to get rid of one car because of WFH. But I think most importantly, I think that implicit option that I could easily find another remote job was very reassuring.

It would suck if this whole thing was killed in its infancy.
Doesn't really matter what media says at this point. The real talent has already seen that WFH is entirely feasible and isn't interested in coming back in to the office. Most tech companies in Denver are having insane staffing issues if they are not offering WFH positions.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Doesn't really matter what media says at this point. The real talent has already seen that WFH is entirely feasible and isn't interested in coming back in to the office. Most tech companies in Denver are having insane staffing issues if they are not offering WFH positions.
Part of the narrative is that some larger tech companies are going back(or already have) to hybrid models. Boiling a frog, so to speak. Wouldn't be surprised to see the same companies back to full work from office in a year.

FWIW, I'm a proponent of WFH even from an objective point of view. The same people that were productive(or not) have been equally so WFH. The push to return to WOO feels so embarrassingly Puritan.

• 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Part of the narrative is that some larger tech companies are going back(or already have) to hybrid models. Boiling a frog, so to speak. Wouldn't be surprised to see the same companies back to full work from office in a year.

FWIW, I'm a proponent of WFH even from an objective point of view. The same people that were productive(or not) have been equally so WFH. The push to return to WOO feels so embarrassingly Puritan.
Stop trying to make WOO a thing, Gretchen.

• 1Worf

Arative

Vyemm Raider
I've been seeing articles pop up on my feed about how managers are going to strong arm people to come back and work in the office, including fire people.

I don't think that will go over very well with people. Someone said it right in this thread, middle managers are afraid the higher ups will find out they don't actually need middle managers and start axing them.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
It looks like the majority of the oil and gas companies in Alberta, at least the major ones, are either going back to full office or a hybrid. I know Suncor is offering 3 office, 2 home, Mon&Thurs or Tue&Fri and so staggering personnel. I am seeing parking lot signs actually offering flexible 3 day a week monthly passes so perhaps that hybrid model is more prevalent than I realize.

Of course, because Canada contains a high percentage of scared libs, there are already clamorings for new restrictions as CASES show a rise. Canadians do not seem capable of freedom anymore, it is pathetic and depressing. I know of one company that went back to the office on the 4th with no masks but I think enough weak and scared people complained so that an in-office mask mandate was reimplemented on the 11th with no clear end date. We should no longer be testing or reporting at all unless people are falling out of the doors of the hospital.

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
I've been seeing articles pop up on my feed about how managers are going to strong arm people to come back and work in the office, including fire people.

I don't think that will go over very well with people. Someone said it right in this thread, middle managers are afraid the higher ups will find out they don't actually need middle managers and start axing them.
In our IT dept we always had 1 wfh day. The rest of the company got 0 because the CEO was against it. When we all started coming back to the office people were dropping like flies and every time the reason was they left for a full time wfh position. Now the CEO has changed his tune to let the entire office have 1 wfh day and in IT the CIO approved for 2 wfh days. I've been joking around with my manager that since the CEO is ok with wfh now, we should just go full time or 4 days with one day where we're all in. He get's annoyed and tells me not to spread that around... I already planted the idea with the two women on our team who take full advantage of wfh days and don't do squat :p

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Even before the Rona I was doing 1 WFH day a week pretty much.

Any place that is against WFH is a place I won't even consider working. End of story.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
My parents and I are probably moving to the western part of the state (Lauren Boehbert's district) in the next few months, so I am already applying for remote jobs.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
The office is completely optional for us. I still go in 2-3 days a week but it's a 20 minute walk for me to get there. Only time people need to come into the office is for QBRs or if we have account wide strategy sessions. But there at a decent amount of us that genuinely like coming in and are there regularly.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
The office is completely optional for us. I still go in 2-3 days a week but it's a 20 minute walk for me to get there. Only time people need to come into the office is for QBRs or if we have account wide strategy sessions. But there at a decent amount of us that genuinely like coming in and are there regularly.
Well your in sales. People in non technical roles love that shit. You can have the hours of wasted time and stress commuting so dinosaurs can feel useful. FUCK that.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Woke up to being laid off so I guess Im apart of this thread now.

• 5WTF
  • 3Thoughts & Prayers
  • 2Dislike
Reactions: 9 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Well your in sales. People in non technical roles love that shit. You can have the hours of wasted time and stress commuting so dinosaurs can feel useful. FUCK that.

I'm in technical sales. While I don't program all day my job is still really technical. I just also carry quota.

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
Dear god what do these people smoke?

1650305030343.png

1650305054635.png

Require a bachelors degree and industry experience for maybe $18/hr in 2022.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Dear god what do these people smoke?

View attachment 408505

View attachment 408506

Require a bachelors degree and industry experience for maybe $18/hr in 2022.

It's crazy. I see local experienced trucking jobs(coal, asphalt) and low end nursing jobs for between $18-22 while looking at $13 for a Sheetz night scrub. Our corporate overlords truly want a welfare population.

• 1Tiresome

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Honestly, why would you pay more when no one wants to do actual work these days?

My warehouse starts at $22, and we legit had a guy walk in, and when asked to fill out his benefits paperwork, he told me he was confused. I told him "Just write your name and address right here." He said (and I swear to god i am not making this up) "I didn't come prepared for this." Okay buddy, just look at your driver's license and that has your address on it. "I don't live there."

This dude legit took out his fucking phone, so he could go to google maps and find the last place he went to so he could write down his goddamned address.

These are the people we get, because no one wants to come to work, do actual work, and get paid to do it.

• 3WTF
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
How did that happen?
No idea, its a little weird. Company I worked for handled student loans so Biden's moratorium extension might have had something to do with it. But thing is I just spoke to my boss last week and I supposedly had gotten a appreciable raise and she said the company was picking up business besides student loans so the extension shouldnt be a big deal.

Woke up this morning with a vm from our head of HR asking to call him before I was supposed to start working. Guy just told me I and supposedly some others where being laid strictly for financial reasons, nothing to due with performance or conduct.

Sooo who knows. Maybe my boss screwed with me, maybe they failed to secure some new business.