Joker (2019)

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Incorrect, as I would be excited for Falling Down 2 to come out.
lol. like i said before, i loved that movie and would like more in that vein. but I'M not excited about joker exactly because that's what i've gleaned from it. it just feels like they've missed the mark on who the joker is

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
It does legitimately just look like Falling Down 2, so it will probably be an entertaining movie that has absolutely nothing to do with Joker.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
in theory no, it's not. i love that movie. but it's not joker and it's not innovative. the dude from falling down, you can't help but empathize with him, even though he's not making great choices. a lot of the issues he goes through are just as much his own making as much as the world around him but we've all been there in some fashion. in a lot of ways he's the embodiment of "there but by the grace of God go I."

That's not joker. joker shouldn't be a character you empathize with. i said before earlier but the only way to do the character justice is to make the audience feel for him, but then pull the rug out from underneath everyone by showing us how irredeemably evil, how unjustifiably malicious he is. hopefully that's the direction they are going but we'll see.

Out of all the commentary I connect the most with this last statement. I am not a comic guy, I was more Conan and WWII comics in the 70s and 80s than superheroes. But I still follow casually and enjoy the movie genre.

I think the Joker as a primal force of Chaos ala The Dark Knight trilogy is the best. He doesn't need a backstory, he doesn't need a motivation, and in his own words he doesn't have a plan. He just IS and DOES and entropy increases.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
lol that clip, he sounds like a whiny millennial in face paint - that is NOT the Joker, fuck that.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
lol that clip, he sounds like a whiny millennial in face paint - that is NOT the Joker, fuck that.
i have to agree.
that scene didnt come across as a chaotic evil character knowingly doing evil things, but as someone who is neutral, unknowingly doing evil things because "reasons". its a huge departure from any other Joker we know of.

tarb

Trakanon Raider
Didn't the director say awhile back that this Joker has nothing to do with the comics ay all?
This doesn't look good to me at all, like some artsy fartsy crap.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
That's not joker. joker shouldn't be a character you empathize with. i said before earlier but the only way to do the character justice is to make the audience feel for him, but then pull the rug out from underneath everyone by showing us how irredeemably evil, how unjustifiably malicious he is. hopefully that's the direction they are going but we'll see.
I mean that seems to be the point of the whole movie from the clips we've seen so far. The character vocalizes that society pushed him to be that way, but I think the idea is that he always was evil, and something just pushed him to actually express it outwardly.

j00t

i remember the director saying that this joker had nothing to do with any of the movies, but i don't think there was anything saying it had nothing to do with the comics.

but yeah, i don't know. like, the ACTIONS he's doing in that clip seem pretty spot on with joker, but his reasoning for doing it and how he talks about his reasonings just don't feel like joker.

it's probably an unfair critique because i'm comparing a show to a 4 minute clip, but homelander feels more like joker to me than joaquin pheonix. joker dresses as a clown to be disarming but then juxtaposes that silly nature with being a chaotic force of nature. homelander does a very similar thing (though not on purpose). he wears a big ol USA flag as a cape and tells everyone else "you're the real hero" and then fuckin' lasers people at the drop of a hat, all while making the same face. i mean, it's the same look but conveys 2 very different things. i don't get that at all from this joker.

i'll also point out that joker isn't chaotic in the way people think he is. he's chaotic in that he does what he wants, when he wants. in dark knight he has this speech to harvey dent about being an agent of chaos and that he's got no plan. he's a dog chasing after cars but woulnd't know what to do if he caught it. that's all absolute bullshit and joker knows it. he's lying directly to harvey's two faces to get him to do what joker needs him to do to prove his point. joker ABSOLUTELY has a plan, it's just a plan that ends in lawlessness and anarchy

j00t

I mean that seems to be the point of the whole movie from the clips we've seen so far. The character vocalizes that society pushed him to be that way, but I think the idea is that he always was evil, and something just pushed him to actually express it outwardly.
yeah, like i said, we'll see if that's actually what happens. i mean, i want the movie to be an accurate representation of joker, because he's incredibly iconic. if it has an ending like arlington road or infinity war (atypical hollywood ending), i'll be really happy

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I mean, it's a 2 minute clip of a noted psychopath talking to a person who (i'm guessing?) has wronged him, looks like it was leading to something. I think maybe taking what he says at face value is a bit much. I definitely don't expect this to be the defining take on Joker, I just hope its good.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Fedor

<Banned>
F5ITQJf.jpg

ELhKjSB.jpg

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Is this supposed to be the original Woke Joker, that creates a bunch of copy cats. And one of those copy cats is supposed to be the DC universe Jokers?

Seems cringe.

Siliconemelons

i have to agree.
that scene didnt come across as a chaotic evil character knowingly doing evil things, but as someone who is neutral, unknowingly doing evil things because "reasons". its a huge departure from any other Joker we know of.

Ummm... ... unknowingly doing evil? Like... unknowingly shooting a dude in cold blood... just a " whoop!"

j00t

Ummm... ... unknowingly doing evil?"
i think what chuk meant is that it seemed reactionary. this was his reaction to the world around him being terrible, and specifically terrible to him.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
This could be a great movie but because it's called Joker a huge portion of people will lose their shit that's it's not what they envisioned even though it's more akin to a "What If" story than canon.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

j00t

This could be a great movie but because it's called Joker a huge portion of people will lose their shit that's it's not what they envisioned even though it's more akin to a "What If" story than canon.

sadly i think this is pretty true. from that leaked clip, a big part of me was interested in how that fits into the bigger picture of the movie. but i'm also stuck on #notmyjoker