Joker (2019)

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
i couldnt watch the last half of that review. tim is a babbling fence sitter

Fixed.

Tim is never worth watching in entirety. He babbles incessantly on tangents all the time. He’s still useful for staying up to date on the media cycle, but you only need to skim through his videos for that.

Enjoyed it, about what I expected going by the one trailer I saw and the media crying about it. One change I would have made though:

At the end where the guy kills the Waynes, I would have cut that part out. Have the later shot of Bruce standing over their bodies start on his face and zoom out to show them dead at his feet instead.

Agreed on this.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Fixed.

Tim is never worth watching in entirety. He babbles incessantly on tangents all the time. He’s still useful for staying up to date on the media cycle, but you only need to skim through his videos for that.

Agreed on this.
this is true, his videos are ten to 20 minutes long and maybe 5 minutes of it are "news". the rest is personal anecdotes and he repeats himself.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I like Charlie's breakdowns. Full movie spoilers in this obviously.

Paranoia

Trakanon Raider
could joke be the older brother? if so that would be pretty fucking awesome. // at the end was this all in his head?

spronk

FPS noob
Its pretty ambigous, there is evidence both ways

1. In the arkham asylum/hospital, he finds records stating he was adopted, that his adoptive mother let her boyfriend abuse him, maybe even damage his brain. The butler (Alfred) at Wayne Manor earlier also tells him that his mother was fired for being delusional, and she was never pregnant. This supports the theory that his mother is nuts, lied and abused him, and he is not Thomas Wayne's son.

2. simultaneously, at the end of the file he steals, he finds a photo of his mom signed "Love your smile, TW". We assume TW is Thomas Wayne. Why would he send that kind of note to his mom, if he didn't have an affair with her? Did TW or his parents frame her to get rid of a problem bastard child?

3. Joker is an extremely unreliable narrator, entire segments of the movie we find out are completely false. His relationship with his neighbor is the obvious big one, but his whole comedy bit (he imagines a laughing audience, we see its empty), his time with DeNiro, etc. More subtly, we see a scene where his clown friend gives him a gun and sorta treats him like a son (weird), but later he's told by the manager that the guy claims Joker asked to buy a gun. The fat clown comes off as a scumbag though. Another subtle one was the garbage strike, we keep hearing on the radio that garbage is piling up everywhere (real and metaphor) but when Joker walks the streets its actually not piled up everywhere. Did he imagine that ("this city is dirty") or not?

So it really just depends on you as the viewer on whether you think Thomas Wayne is a mostly honest rich guy who is caught up by a crazy lady, or if he is a scumbag rich guy who got a maid pregnant and then fired her, made her appear nuts and had her committed, and maybe even abused his own son in that process.

• 3Like

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Just got back from seeing this today with Mrs. Haus Mrs. Haus and where as it's dark as hell, and sad, it's also brilliant.

And I definitely see why the SJW patrol is up in arms and trying to convince everybody not to see it, and that it's "incel bait". since

The Clown riot folks were just a black surgical mask away from being an Antifa dream march. And rather than being "some incel inspiration" we see that the Joker knows through the WHOLE MOVIE that he's insane, it's just that he fights it until act 3. Which unfortunately for them plays right to the "Crazy murderer is Crazy" line of thought.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Movie was far better than I expected, but probably the most uncomfortable 2 hours I've spent in a theater. Watching someone with a mental illness just spiral downwards was rough to watch. As far as I'm concerned the Oscar buzz for Phoenix is totally warranted. I'd put his performance right up against Heath Ledger's.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

shishare

Golden Knight of the Realm
Yeah just got back from watching it, and it was at times hard to watch. Not due to quality, but how well he played a person losing there mind.

Oldbased

> Than U
Not going to go see it in the theater based on reviews and videos I've seen here and elsewhere.
I fear what I may discover about myself. I'll watch it when it comes out at home where I have all my wonderful toys.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The face paint almost makes Pheonix unrecognizable, which is a great touch. It separates the two personas in a way, letting you completely break free of his original "Arthur" and fully invest in The Joker.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
Looks like this one is is right up my alley.
btw is there a need to watch Heath's Joker before this one?

spronk

FPS noob
nah, i did watch The Dark Knight last night tho (well half) and really enjoyed it

is it fucked up to say that watching Joaquin Phoenix was interesting but I didn't really feel anything, maybe a bit uncomfortable a few times but otherwise mostly "this retard is pretty fucking retarded". like dude can't even put on his own shoes, i never felt really that scared by him, whereas I find Ledger's Joker absolutely terrifying. Nicholson's Joker is just a step above a real clown, and Leto is "uh... you can stop acting now dude"

• 1Like

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I thought it was pretty good, 7.5 - 8. Phoenix is one of the few actors that can pull this role off and he does it well. The beginning of the movie where he hands the card to the lady on the bus saying he has a mental illness reminding of my NY days riding the subway and that exact same thing happened all the time where some guy handed you a card like that, mostly asking for money. It got to a point where you felt bad for him and I think that's the point, to make him a sympathetic character in a way. The post above which mentioned how Joker is an unreliable narrator is spot on, however there are events where I do think actually happens (like getting jumped by the kids).

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Looks like this one is is right up my alley.
btw is there a need to watch Heath's Joker before this one?
The nolanverse ended with nolan. Batfleck was completely different.

Btw spronk, nicholson`s joker wasnt supposed to be scary, he was a more serious version of the traditional joker from the comics and the tv show.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Joker was always campy before Ledger. And Nicholson was amazing at it. Ledger was a great spin on a character but I hate how all the edgy hot topic fags act like that’s how all jokers should be portrayed.

Leto is the only bad portrayal. He tried a twist on a twist and ended up full retard.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf

Fadaar

That guy
The more I think about the movie the more I question what was real and what wasn't. Like

He killed the other clown guy, lets the midget clown go. That scene was super uncomfortable especially after he left the door locked. Then, hours later and with the cops already trying to talk to him, was able to go on that TV show without getting arrested. Either Gary is the best bro of all time (or scared enough of Arthur that he thought calling the cops would get him killed) and the police are super incompetent, or everything past the refrigerator didn't happen and he either died there or the cops got to him before the last ~15-20 mins.

• 1Solidarity

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
94 million domestic and 234 million worldwide opening. Biggest october opening in history. No incel uprisings unfortunately. Sorry media, no blood on your hands. Better luck next time.

• 2Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Joker was always campy before Ledger. And Nicholson was amazing at it. Ledger was a great spin on a character but I hate how all the edgy hot topic fags act like that’s how all jokers should be portrayed.

Leto is the only bad portrayal. He tried a twist on a twist and ended up full retard.

joker is one of the very few characters that can be done differently. like, batman is always batman, alfred is always alfred, gordon is always gordon. but joker... who knows what joker you're going to get at any given time. i wouldn't scoff at a different person playing their version of joker everytime they do a batman movie. and i wouldn't be upset with giving him a new origin story everytime either

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
The more I think about the movie the more I question what was real and what wasn't. Like

He killed the other clown guy, lets the midget clown go. That scene was super uncomfortable especially after he left the door locked. Then, hours later and with the cops already trying to talk to him, was able to go on that TV show without getting arrested. Either Gary is the best bro of all time (or scared enough of Arthur that he thought calling the cops would get him killed) and the police are super incompetent, or everything past the refrigerator didn't happen and he either died there or the cops got to him before the last ~15-20 mins.
I can believe that actually happened because a scene like that is very much something that the Joker would do. Go absolutely insane on one guy then let another guy go and kiss him on the forehead for good measure. There's no pattern with him and that scene played that out well

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
PVnZCWl.jpg

i don't know the right two jokers, i assume thats comic/cartoon stuff

• 2Like