Joker (2019)

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Todd Phillips showing up to Warner Bro's house after making them hundreds of millions on a movie they didn't want to make:

gauze

Molten Core Raider
Man, I know it's not plausible.. After seeing this but I would love to see batman in this universe, grounded further than Nolansverse. I really enjoyed the mental illness highlight.. Bringing out people like Riddler and his OCD and narcism, two faces multipersonality, or Mr freeze schizoid.. Then batman just some insane vigilante in the background.

I just love the late 70s, early 80s innercity setting. Give me warriors esque batman series any day of the week.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Saw this today. Just a great movie and while I'm not sure I would watch it again due to just how intense it was, it's clearly going to win some awards, especially Phoenix. Every mannerism; every movement. Just oozed exactly what I would have thought a live action Joker would look like given comic books in general. Ledger's joker is iconic at this point, but they were -very- different movies and I think there's easily room for two performances at the top. Nobody else is even close to Phoenix and Ledger at this point.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

gauze

Molten Core Raider
Having sat on it for a day, I think the transformation scene is so fucking good. It's prob my favorite, granted there isn't many iterations aside from The Killing Joke, Burton's Batman, I think Suicide Squad, and one of the games; haven't seen/play the latter two.. but always a vat of chemicals.. something about it is such a backwards happy moment and photographically pleasing w/ the green dye dripping, juxtaposed with dancing and music..

I can't think of another oscar worth performance for the year, i'd pretty upset is RDJ got it for Endgame; personally.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I can't think of another oscar worth performance for the year, i'd pretty upset is RDJ got it for Endgame; personally.

Wait, is that a thing? RDJ for Endgame?? I mean he was good, but nothing that says oscar, to me at least!

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

gauze

Molten Core Raider
I believe he did, but I don't know; I don't think its up to him, is it? I figured the people who choose nominees is a committee or some shit, he would just have to pull some shitlord stunt of not showing up when selected or denying it at speech? I don't really know the inner workings, but I just remember people raving at his performance during/around Endgame. I don't think its Oscar worthy or anything.. I just feel like he'd be on the candidacy looking back.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
I believe he did, but I don't know; I don't think its up to him, is it? I figured the people who choose nominees is a committee or some shit, he would just have to pull some shitlord stunt of not showing up when selected or denying it at speech? I don't really know the inner workings, but I just remember people raving at his performance during/around Endgame. I don't think its Oscar worthy or anything.. I just feel like he'd be on the candidacy looking back.

RDJ getting an Oscar for Endgame would be more for the performance he has managed to do over a decade in a multitude of films. Kinda like how that crap final season of GoT won awards. heh But yeah, if he won over Joaquin Phoenix it would IMHO be a crime.

• 1Like

faille

Molten Core Raider
I believe the nominations are voted in by the various guilds, or relevant industry bodies. ie the screen actors guild votes in the nominations for best actor, etc. The winners are voted on by the academy members as a whole.
Which is why the old cliche, it's an honour to be nominated actually carries weight since it's decided by the people who know that specific skill. While the winners can pick up votes from people who don't have a clue.

spronk

FPS noob
its a weird balloting system known as preferential voting (some countries use it for their voting) where every member in a category nominates their #1 pick, their #2, etc up to 5 or 6 and then they spreadsheet that shit out to come up with the top 5 and then as you say it goes to the general membership for final voting. The foreign film category is the only one I think which has its own set of weird rules where a committee decides the nominees and there are extra rules on general voting, where you had to have watched ALL of them at special screenings and screeners at home don't count, which means its the category with the fewest votes every year.

Of course its not a vacuum where a bunch of old actors sit on their rocking chairs pondering the year, the members all get sent screeners and there are screening events and parties and they all get tons of letters and emails and schwag-not-schwag and massive full page ads in all the magazines celebs read about each other. The ones who win tend to be the ones with companies that spend a lot of money reminding members why actor X is the most important actor of our generation or why movie Y will make life better for trans gay black cowboys for the next 100 years and how important it is for Hollywood to be seen as the guiding beacon of light in a world filled with hate, racism, and misogny (but not Hollywood of course).

No one walks to talk about the fact that many oscars in the past 2 decades were chosen because the Weinstein brothers essentially horse traded for them, "vote for Y and i'll help make your movie get done".

Vote splitting is a big thing too, bland movies like Green Book end up winning because all the ultra-progressive votes get split between "the gay movie", "the black movie", the "fuck capitalism" movie, etc.

Last edited:

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Finally saw it.
Pretty good actually. Joaquin's performance was superb, possibly really exhausting for him.
The only scene I would delete was Bruce Wayne's parents being killed. It's just there to tigh up with Batman, which is unnecessary imo
Him fantasizing with that girl was obvious because everything good that happened to him was always in his head.

8/10

• 1Like

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider

Impressive.
I'm quite happy that r-rated low cgi movie wins so much. Maybe we'll get more compelling stories, outstanding actors and less cgi fest merchandizing-oriented flicks.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I have never been a Joker fan (or Batman), nor even much of a DC fan. I also really dislike Joaquin Phoenix, despite the fact that he's surprised me with roles that greatly impressed me (Her, You Were Never Really Here, just off the top of my head). And I generally just felt like I wasn't in the mood for what I knew was going to be a disturbing journey filled with psychoses and who knows what else.

I fucking loved this movie. Granted, like most have said in the past couple pages I skimmed over, I don't feel like I'll watch it again anytime soon or many times in the coming years, but wow, this just blew me away. I can't add anything that hasn't already been said, but I'm just amazed at how fucking good this movie was, and how good Phoenix was (once again).

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Trollocaust

Lord Nagafen Raider
I enjoyed the movie. In a sense, I believe that you cannot truly grasp some parts of that movie unless you've been in a major depression and have had serious thoughts of suicide. The whole "fuck this I have nothing left to lose and the consequences don't matter anymore" feel of it is pretty prevalent in this.

Omi43221

Trakanon Raider
I enjoyed the movie. In a sense, I believe that you cannot truly grasp some parts of that movie unless you've been in a major depression and have had serious thoughts of suicide. The whole "fuck this I have nothing left to lose and the consequences don't matter anymore" feel of it is pretty prevalent in this.

I saw the movie and I feel like I'm being punked. Is everyone who is recommending this movie think they are being a Joker. Was there some inside memo that I'm not privy to? I have to admit I never been severely depressed so maybe I can't relate like others can. This reminds me of the movie "Lost in Translation" where the buzz was the movie was phenomenal and Bill Murray's performance deserved an oscar. I remember think paint drying was equally entertaining. I can't believe this movie surpassed Deadpool.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
It might just be people are sick of the same old over the top bullshit spectacle films and when a more subdued and serious tone comic film comes along its like a breath of fresh air. Even if the film isn't that good.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users