Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
wont even break 600M. what a disaster

upload_2017-11-26_13-53-4.png

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It will break 600 (unless you meant by the second weekend) but everyone was expecting a 1 billion+ movie for whatever reason. Even with the massive success of wonder woman this film failed misserably somehow

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
it already rolled out in all major markets and the drop off from 1st weekend was colossal. if it breaks $600M domestically and internationally, it will be by a hair

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
The studio doesn't get the full box office either. Domestic is typically around 65-70%, foreign is all over the place even before you throw exchange rates into the mix.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Even domestic isn't that high, maybe 51% unless you're Disney demanding the world. Foreign can be anywhere from 15% to 40% depending on the country.

Royal

I'm talking about a major tent pole (like JL) in it's first couple of weeks of release. Movies in general operate on a sliding schedule with the theater's cut growing the longer they run one. That's part of the reason studios prefer a movie that opens big and drops off quick to one that builds slow with long legs.

Sterling

El Presidente
Yeah with 600 million in costs they'd have to be close to a billion in box office for any real profit. This is real bad.

• 1Picard

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I finally watched this, after subjecting myself to a re-watch of the 3 hr BvS (first time seeing the 3 hr one) the night before, and was of course disappointed. I hoped it was at least decent, but fuck man, so many terrible things. Steppenwolf leads the list, such horrible CGI, no real backstory or motive given in the movie itself, just complete shit all around. Hard to say if he was worse than Doomsday though, because he was fucking horrible too. Plenty of others have listed most of the other things I hated.

This scene right here, however, was by far my favorite of the entire movie. As most of you will remember, I'm the resident Superman-enabler, so seeing Superman pretty much beat the everloving shit out of the rest of the JL at the same time, including the eye roll, was just awesome. (Flash's "I just shit my pants" expression was great too.) Terrible in terms of the movie and making everyone else irrelevant when he literally came in quipping, "Is this guy bothering you?" (such a shitty line) and then pretty much beats the fuck out of Steppenwolf all by himself, but hey, since I was already hating the whole fucking movie, I'll take one good gratuitous scene even. It isn't like that was the only thing wrong with it, and if they had only fixed that we'd have another masterpiece or something.

I do still think the casting for Superman is solid, because as mentioned at the end when he's more light-hearted he's just fine. Cavill literally looks like Superman to me, and if they let him be happy and optimistic for an entire fucking movie, I think more people would agree with me. However...I'd pay good fucking money for the first showing at IMAX for an Injustice movie that was mostly Superman/Cavill just murdering the fuck out of heroes people think are his equal. And then raping Wonder Woman repeatedly. Now THAT is a grimdark DC movie I'd gladly pay to see.

The "Do you bleed?" throwback line was pretty good too, and I daresay the bat shorts needed to be changed after that one.

• 4Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
honestly, i'm fine with the majority of the casting in the DCEU. i was initially aghast at ben afflack but he's a pretty great burned out bruce wayne. ezra miller is really the only one that just doesn't sit right with me, but maybe that's less ezra and more writing.

but that's the crux of the matter. the writing is so oddball that characters i SHOULD and WANT to like, i don't, and characters i'm appalled at are good.

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Superman spotting Flash was definitely the high point. Aquaman on the lasso was also pretty on point. Flash's effects were cool, if a hint redundant of the X-Men's Quicksilver.

Everything else was pretty much spot on garbage...

-Steppenwolf is a nobody bad guy. If they would have had him being pressured on by Darkseid somehow, that would have made him 100x more interesting. It's like they went straight to Age of Ultron and created a blank enemy.
-Batman was basically a bitch outside of his Batmobile, after seeing him be a complete badass, it was awkward and out of character. They pointed out too heavily that he's just a man in a batsuit. He seemed completely outclassed and unsuited for the encounter, and then he's going to make a suicide run? Nah.
-Bruce being a flat out dick to Wonder Woman about her dead ex.
-Bruce in half of the Batsuit, man that suit looked terrible, and loaded with "fake muscles"... and the forced almost-romance with Diana.
-What the fuck was up with the Spiderbatcrawler thing? Did they create that specifically to make a bullshit toy out of it? What a dumb, terribly bad concept.
-Cyborg was too broody. Fuck, they all were, but we never really get the feeling "why". Oh, another bad guy. But Cyborg is supposed to be spunky, like Flash and Green Lantern. You could even see it wearing on WW.
-Some of the comedy was ridiculously forced. Superman carrying a building while Flash pushes a truck? Wommmp wommmp. "I'm rich." "Is this guy bothering you?" Sigh. And you can tell several of the lines were added posthence, because the audio is added on top where you can't see them actually speaking words. Lazily hamming it up.
-SUPERMAN'S UPPER FUCKING LIP. GOD, I didn't realize CGI could still be as bad as the X-Men where they rubberskin aged Magneto and Prof X.
-They're clearly putting too much money into these productions in the wrong areas. Most of the CGI is badass, but then they just fall flat on critical set pieces. Like, you can directly compare Steppenwolf CGI to Surtur (big flame sword bro from Thor Ragnarok). They spent all their power on Cyborg, then cut half his fuckin scenes, or maybe they just rushed the release and never finished the CGI on Cyborg's cut scenes, and just rolled with what they had. I mean, $25mil on Superman's mustache? Are you fuckin' serious right now? Whoever authorized that is probably kicking themselves in the teeth. How much did they think they were going to make with that half-assed shod job. OK, so they didn't spend $25m on stache CGI, they paid $25mil in reshoots, which apparently included every single fucking Superman shot. Like, what was supposed to be the rest of the movie? Did they really need to reshoot every scene he had been in? What the shit? So you lose a director halfway, and the replacement director half-asses the half-assed job?
-The lazy posturing of the mother box and the regeneration chamber, rushing Superman's resurrection.
-The pace for scenes were wildly different, transitions seemed cluttered. The over acted postering by the river between Bruce and WW.
-They should have spent more time on Aquaman, though with the out of fuckin nowhere trip to Atlantis to get the trident for "reasons", and having to deal with Amber Heard on screen, not sure that's a good idea either.
-Aquaman's powers were... confusing. He can leap buildings? Basically Superman underwater breaking the sound barrier? And he's an angsty asshole for, again, reasons. But actually completely light. He felt redundant to Superman. I mean, in Man of Steel, Superman even saves folks on a water surrounded oil rig, floats, and whales swim by.
-"We need an idea to make Flash not stupid overpowered so we have a reason to bring Superman back." "Make him be a clutzy idiot." "GOLDEN."
-The WW blocking bullets from the "assault rifle" felt disgustingly on the nose with American weapon violence. "Wouldn't it be great if the real world had someone like her to protect us?" But we don't, and it's impossible, so fuck you and your real life. "But look at their faces, they show hope!"
-Themyscira basically getting massacred, again, more bad CGI - they did so much better in the WW standalone. Also, the postering and beating around the bush. Trying to explain crazy shit seriously, in small concise bits, without just flat out saying things straight.
-The mother boxes were the real enemy, and they beat around that topic. They said "it'll make it like their world," but didn't explain how, or why. Probably because they have no idea what Apokolips is actually like - the planet is a giant engine, and its entire population is slaves. Maybe mention that, stakes might feel higher. Nah, just some boxes that are going to make the ground all fucked up, ala Superman Returns and the ground crystals....sigh.
-Frosting over the blatant appearances in the flashback scene. Yeah, that was the Lantern Corps, I realize you're hiding from the shitshow that was the Green Lantern film. It's ok. *pat pat* But seriously, where the fuck was Green Lantern when a world ending enemy shows up? Isn't this his specific line of work? "Nah, they got it."

-The musical score. Compared to Hans Zimmer, everyone is gonna be pretty shit. But it went beyond shit and was completely derivative. While I lightly enjoyed the '89 Batman tone, it felt slightly out of place, especially when Batman was just busy getting his ass kicked, not being a badass. Wonder Woman's theme was muddled. And Superman's theme was just rehashed, simplified, and turned down a notch. Obviously a lot of the budget didn't go to the scoring of the film.

I'm a diehard DC fanboy, I've got a Justice League rug under my office chair, a Neal Adams signed Batman poster, basically shrines to Superman and Batman, several different DC collections worth of action figures, a collection of Batmobiles. I want to say I came into this movie without expectations, kind of knowing where the bar had been set with the previous DC films, and I came out just wondering why I'd wasted two hours of my life. And why Warner had spent $600m on this pile of trash. Are they expecting to recoup a lot of their losses on action figures? There's a lot of trash figures for sale tied to the movies, and my local Target seems to push them fairly well.

I know we'll get another WW film, and Aquaman, but unless those do super well, another standalone Superman movie won't happen even though Caville is signed for one more. Forget ever getting a Justice League 2. They'd probably make Darkseid black, and have him shoot social justice rainbows from his eyes anyway.

Last edited:
  • 1Barf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Looks better than Justice League:

All the animated DC stuff is awesome (save exceptions, like the Doomsday animated film that was complete garbage).

They could have literally duplicated the Justice League animated movie and blown it out of the park. In fact, if they just did a screening of that film in the theater, I'd go watch it again.

Royal

Same vid as above with the trailer tacked on at the beginning.