Kickstarters

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
Ok, you got me going down this rabbit hole. I'm gonna get the S2 sleeves. This has been my most-played game the past month.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
Agree with Hateyou on the packaging and it's definitely something the backers have wanted for Season 1 since Season 2 launched. You can see in his screenshot above that the cards are sleeved and fit in both designated card sections of the tray. On top of sleeving the cards, we also picked up a bunch of the clear capsules to protect the tokens but beware, they won't fit in the trays which means you'll need an external storage solution for them.

Maul

Dental Dammer
Oh fuck you all, this thread is a fucking curse on my wallet.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
Seriously. Hateyou? More like Fuckyou, the little devil on my shoulder that whispers shit like "oh, you don't sleeve? Have you seen these beauties? How can you resist?"

• 1Worf

GeneralF

Golden Knight of the Realm
Oh fuck you all, this thread is a fucking curse on my wallet.

This.

I managed to talk myself out of Middara because of the art style, but Dice Throne seems like a definite winner from what you guys are saying, and that's gonna cost a buttload. Plus I'm interested in Oathsworn and Trudvang Legends coming up later, I think, this Fall. So another storing unit to buy, I guess... I still have a truckload of Kingdom Death coming up. I love board games but... goddammit.

If I don't post again it's because I've been murdered by my girlfriend.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I'd like to get Etherfields but for some reason, I feel the need to get Tainted Grail and play that before I invest any more in board games on Kickstarter.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I'd like to get Etherfields but for some reason, I feel the need to get Tainted Grail and play that before I invest any more in board games on Kickstarter.

You can do a pledge without a reward to get into the pledge manager. They keep theirs open forever, so you’ll be able to play Tainted Grail as it should be here in the next couple months. Can make up your mind later that way, I’ve done that in the past on some.

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
And there goes $231

Fuck me, trying to save up a bit but Dice Throne S1 and S2 has been the biggest hit for my gaming and non gaming friends out of dozens of titles over the years. Going in for the adventure for certain and will probably end up getting the damn S1 reprint and minis for the adventure as well. Will second the comments on the packaging. I don't think any game out of the box has been presented as nice as Dice Throne S2. That is sort of the AAA gold star standard in my mind for all games going forward. Too Many Bones is pretty damn good as well but no where near as easy to jump into.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Fuck me, trying to save up a bit but Dice Throne S1 and S2 has been the biggest hit for my gaming and non gaming friends out of dozens of titles over the years. Going in for the adventure for certain and will probably end up getting the damn S1 reprint and minis for the adventure as well. Will second the comments on the packaging. I don't think any game out of the box has been presented as nice as Dice Throne S2. That is sort of the AAA gold star standard in my mind for all games going forward. Too Many Bones is pretty damn good as well but no where near as easy to jump into.

I feel you, there’s just too much tempting quality stuff coming out. Not enough time and money for it all.

I’ve decided to do S1 and DTA and sleeves for both. I’m not even sure DTA will get much play time yet so I’m skipping the minis entirely. If it’s something that is played constantly maybe I’ll pick them up, but really the standees are good enough for me, I don’t mind them in Gloomhaven.

I saw some asshole is buying all 20 playmats. That’s like $500 after taxes and shipping lol

• 1Like

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, I don't think I'm really interested in DTA, but I'm thinking of doing season 1 and 2. It looks like the S1 Reloaded package comes with the SI promo pack for $79, Season 2 is $89, S2 promo pack is $4, and $70 for sleeves for all content. So, $242 for all S1 and S2 content sleeved? Well shit, I guess at that point I could just buy the $200 gameplay bundle and add the sleeves for $70.. Well damn it.

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
So I made this suggestion earlier, I think to Maul.

If you go in on everything in the Kickstarter, you are not going to be able to play anything until July 2020.....a year from now.

Personally, I would go on their website today and buy Season 2 Battle chest, with the sleeves if you want. Skip the promo cards because they are coming out with the new ones. Then, you will have Season 2 at your house in about 1-2 weeks. This has 8 characters and will give you a good feel for the game. Assuming you like it, you will have time to get back on this KS and order whatever else you want - again, none of this will arrive until July 2020.

This will allow you to enjoy some Dice Throne goodness now, instead of waiting until a year from now.

• 2Like

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Ohhh right, I did see you mention that. Thanks, thats not a bad idea at all.

One question, when you say skip the promo cards, they are coming out with new ones, what is that in reference to? I would still want the season 1 rerolled, and season 2 promo cards right? (or do you just mean add them in with the kickstarter if I'm into the game?)

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
The promo cards consist of 2 parts.

The first part is a "randomizer" deck, so it's all 14 current characters (6 from original season 1, 8 from season 2), and the idea is you can draw from the deck so randomly choose which character to play. Well, you won't have season 1, so really you would use only 8 of the 14 cards. It also won't have the Treant and Ninja cards since that they haven't been released yet and are part of the new S1 Rerolled set.

The second part of the promo deck is 1 additional card for each charcacter. I believe they are all a 0 cp free action card, and they are cool. The problem is, the season 1 character all have individualized backs. This is because the original season 1 character cards all had different backs for each character. In season 2, all the characters share the same, uniform design. So if you get the promo pack now you will have 8 promo cards you can use with your S2 box, and 6 useless promo cards because 1) you don't have the S1 characters, and 2) they will be outdated with the release of S1 Rerolled, since they are moving to the new uniform cards just like in S2.

Bottom line, if you get the promo cards now, all the S1 cards will be out of date when you get the new S1 set. That is why they are re-including the promo cards in the KS.

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
The promo cards consist of 2 parts.

The first part is a "randomizer" deck, so it's all 14 current characters (6 from original season 1, 8 from season 2), and the idea is you can draw from the deck so randomly choose which character to play. Well, you won't have season 1, so really you would use only 8 of the 14 cards. It also won't have the Treant and Ninja cards since that they haven't been released yet and are part of the new S1 Rerolled set.

The second part of the promo deck is 1 additional card for each charcacter. I believe they are all a 0 cp free action card, and they are cool. The problem is, the season 1 character all have individualized backs. This is because the original season 1 character cards all had different backs for each character. In season 2, all the characters share the same, uniform design. So if you get the promo pack now you will have 8 promo cards you can use with your S2 box, and 6 useless promo cards because 1) you don't have the S1 characters, and 2) they will be outdated with the release of S1 Rerolled, since they are moving to the new uniform cards just like in S2.

Bottom line, if you get the promo cards now, all the S1 cards will be out of date when you get the new S1 set. That is why they are re-including the promo cards in the KS.

Blind draws are a blast to play with. We just have the general rule if a newbie gets the artificer we let them draw again as that seems to be the most discouraging class to my non board game enthusiast friends.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Blind draws are a blast to play with. We just have the general rule if a newbie gets the artificer we let them draw again as that seems to be the most discouraging class to my non board game enthusiast friends.

Haha yep. I don’t let new players pick him, I discourage Nyla and the pirate for their first game as well though they aren’t really that bad, just more planning than the other five. Took it to an open game night tonight, it was a big hit again. People love it and were looking at the current Kickstarter afterwards. It’s not just you guys I talk into blowing their paychecks!

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
This is an old one but has some spicy drama going on. The creator fucked up and misjudged shipping costs by $10. He totally took ownership of it, reopened pledges if anyone wanted to donate and gave some incentive to do so. This angered some people, even though it isn’t mandatory and they are still planning on delivering despite being in the red.

Then the co-creator Golden Bell Studios jumps and just starts ripping into people. I’ve seen them do it before, they remind me of immature wow forum trolls. It’s gotten to the point where the dude from Golden Bell is doxxing backers that are pissing him off too much, one of which he is trying to get the guy fired from his job. They’ve also stated they are filing libel suits against at least one backer so far.

Pretty pathetic all around. I feel bad for the main creator, he’s been a great dude the whole time and is stuck in the middle of his partner and backers.

Just got my shipping notice for this. Status shows it is awaiting pickup so I may end up getting this thing. Golden Bell Studio has been an interesting company to watch since seeing this post. One of their other kickstarters has started issuing refunds if they don't want to pay the huge jump up in shipping costs. Will be pretty shocked if they still exist come 2020. Plus side one of the comments on the kickstarter was "makes Steamforged games seem competent" which got a good chuckle out of me after the Dark Souls fiasco.

• 1Worf

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Just got my shipping notice for this. Status shows it is awaiting pickup so I may end up getting this thing. Golden Bell Studio has been an interesting company to watch since seeing this post. One of their other kickstarters has started issuing refunds if they don't want to pay the huge jump up in shipping costs. Will be pretty shocked if they still exist come 2020. Plus side one of the comments on the kickstarter was "makes Steamforged games seem competent" which got a good chuckle out of me after the Dark Souls fiasco.

I hope you get it, it’s really a great game. I’ve only played two games, can’t wait til my next travel for work trip so I can get four or five more in. Won one, lost one, was fun either way. Lots of choice making.

Yeah they’re blacklisted from me like steamforged, for behavior though. SFG black listed due to not playtesting and the game sucks. Also behavior, but mostly the game.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I enjoy Dice Throne but it suffers for me because it's a two player game. Any time we have tried with more it never ends up well. Someone gets picked on or it's a kingmaker scenario.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I enjoy Dice Throne but it suffers for me because it's a two player game. Any time we have tried with more it never ends up well. Someone gets picked on or it's a kingmaker scenario.

We’ve found using the king of the hill rules works well with three player and have had very close games due to that. Attacking the person with most health nets you a card, that’s hard to pass up. Four player it’s 2v2 with shared health so there’s no picking on anyone.

• 1Like

Njals

<Bronze Donator>

We use a 4, 6, or 8 sided die to randomize the attacks sometimes. Roll to see who goes first and the winner is 1, next 2 so on. After the attack roll phase concludes roll die to see who gets hit and if it is their number e.g. player 1 rolls a 1 they get to pick. This has helped people not feel like they are being targeted but somehow spouses always manage to kill their significant other when we play that way.

• 1Like