Kingsman: The Secret Service (2015)

niss_sl

shitlord
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but it was a test see if you will blindly follow orders. eggsy failed by not shooting the dog.
Only problem with that is that the earlier mission was to keep the dog alive at all costs. Should have prefaced the new test by saying the old mission was over "now shoot the dog".

Loved the movie

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
If they do a sequel(dunno how with the way that one ended?) they should have patton oswald be the villian.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but it was a test to see if you will blindly follow orders. eggsy failed by not shooting the dog.
Just saw the movie with the wife a free days ago. Loved it overall, but I really didn't like that scene. If it was handled like the Kobayashi maru, in that its more about HOW you handle the situation instead of being a pass or fail test in which you simply follow orders I would have been much happier. I mean they spend the entire training teaching them to think critically, but then through that out the window for the final test. Galahad even reams eggsy out later in the film about ONLY KILLING to SAVE a life. But that's in response to the test that he failed for not arbitrarily killing the dog. It was glaringly inconsistent. Rest of the movie was awesome

Homsar

that scene is way over analyzed. It was a test to see if he could kill something he loved or listen to orders, If you have and issue with that movie look at bootcamp or any fucking military. His job is killing people on orders that he knows nothing about

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
Fuck I gotta jump back in on this thread because of that dog scene. I saw it completely differently. I see it as Eggsy showed he IS different than their normal freshman Kingsman. He is not cut from the same cloth and that is important. The organization's top dog was corrupt and Alfred soliloquy's Eggsy on how the old way suck, outdated, and aren't preparing them to deal with the future. So Eggsy was what the organization needed; an outsider that thinks outside the box and isn't held back by what people expect him to be. Because of that he rises above and saves the day. Thus him not shooting the dog proves he isn't "Kingsman" material nevertheless is what ultimately helps him beat the bads.

j00t

No, it get that. I think that's what they were going for. Showing that eggsy is different and ABLE to think critically. Willing to throw away what he thinks is the greatest thing dive sliced bread because he cares about life. And not just important life, but the life of a dog.

Except animals are always more sympathetic than humans so anyone asking you to kill a dog just because is asking you to treat them like a villian. Also, like I said before, galahd points out that kingsmen don't take a life unless it saves another. He says that. After failing the test for refusing to take a life for personal gain.

In essence, he FAILS the test for upholding the principles of the kingsmen. Its just a silly scene. The movie is awesome and I'm incredibly happy I saw it. It just was a scene to keep eggsy and the chick alive and both relevant to the plot. You can't both win!! So she wins. But eggsy is the protagonist so it doesn't matter that he lost. He still gets to save the day.

Caliane

No, it get that. I think that's what they were going for. Showing that eggsy is different and ABLE to think critically. Willing to throw away what he thinks is the greatest thing dive sliced bread because he cares about life. And not just important life, but the life of a dog.

Except animals are always more sympathetic than humans so anyone asking you to kill a dog just because is asking you to treat them like a villian. Also, like I said before, galahd points out that kingsmen don't take a life unless it saves another. He says that. After failing the test for refusing to take a life for personal gain.

In essence, he FAILS the test for upholding the principles of the kingsmen. Its just a silly scene. The movie is awesome and I'm incredibly happy I saw it. It just was a scene to keep eggsy and the chick alive and both relevant to the plot. You can't both win!! So she wins. But eggsy is the protagonist so it doesn't matter that he lost. He still gets to save the day.
yeah.
and this might be a good point, to point out, the evil masterminds plot was to save the world... methods may have been horrible... but, stopping him killed all mankind.
there is some intentional subversiveness in the story. its possible the dog killing test was intentionally "wrong, and hypocritical on the part of the Kingsman", and no one calls them out on it.

j00t

Fair point. I mean, I don't necessarily buy the "global warming is a fever" explanation, but in the context of the movie, no one really seems to disagrees with that. The only thing people disagree with is good solution. So in the context of the movie, I'll look at that scene being subtly ironic instead of poorly thought out.

Column_sl

shitlord
I liked the movie, but it was goofy as shit. The church scene was cool, rest of it was meh.

Probly my favorite part is the Princess joke at the end.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Sequel was greenlit but don't know who the fuck'll be interested in it with the marquee names crossed off. Plus, you know, they mined all of Millar's material.

Homsar

Sequel was greenlit but don't know who the fuck'll be interested in it with the marquee names crossed off. Plus, you know, they mined all of Millar's material.
Didnt Vaughn say hes doing the sequel? Him directing is the main thing. I would like to see Merlin kick some ass in the sequel

Just watched it again, Samuel L Jackson cracks me up when he refers to Eggsy as "Oh fuck, its that young Valet"

Devlin

Golden Squire
I watched it tonight and thought it was fucking brilliant in every respect and a completely unexpected gem.

Violence A+
Comedy A+
Colin Firth A++

Matthew Vaughn should direct a Bond movie.

Homsar

I dont know how Vaughn would be able to direct a Sequel with all his projects and would rather just leave it alone if he wont return. Good news for any Flash Gordon fans

A sequel to the surprise blockbuster Kingsman: The Secret Service is in the works at Fox. There was no announcement by the studio or a timetable, but there will be a followup to the R-rated comic book adaptation directed by Matthew Vaughn and starring Colin Firth, individuals with knowledge of the project told TheWrap.

It makes sense. The London-set Kingsman: The Secret Service crossed the $400 million mark at the global box office this weekend. It generated most of that - about $275 million - from abroad. It became clear Fox had a hit on its hands when it opened to $41 million against Fifty Shades of Grey over the Presidents Day holiday weekend in the U.S.

Samuel Jackson, Michael Caine and Taron Egerton co-starred in Kingsman, which had an $80 million production budget. Vaughn also co-wrote with Jane Goldman and produced the film, which was based on the comic book The Secret Service created by Mark Millar and Dave Gibbons.

Vaughn is in line to direct Flash Gordon, a Fox reboot of the 1930s comic book series that led to a series of Buster Crabbe serials and a 1980 movie. Vaughn is also working on a film for Fox about Eddie "The Eagle" Edwards, who became the U.K.'s first Olympic ski jumper in 1988. And Vaughn is developing another adaptation of a comic book for Fox, The Golden Age, about superheroes in a retirement home.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
this movie was fucking awesome. it totally made me rethink my opinion of samuel jackson as a washed up hack taking any role thats offered including fucking Capitol One ads. he was brilliant in this film. more like this please.

The fuck , that ending is the ending of all endings. As for Samuels character , I dunno...should of made him British and a younger actor would of fit much more into the film. Was still a fun watch though.

j00t

Naw, Sam Jackson was great in it. I love the comment he made about how British people talk funny.