Kingsman: The Secret Service (2015)

PosterOfStuff_sl

shitlord
The church scene was the best action scene I have seen for years, really liked the characters and more importantly they treated the characters well in the movie.

A nice surprise it was worth the watch.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Just watched this, was a dam good movie and i may get crucified but i enjoyed this more than Avengers Ultron.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I liked the movie, but it was goofy as shit. The church scene was cool, rest of it was meh.

Probly my favorite part is the Princess joke at the end.
I agree with this. Just watched it, and if it weren't for the couple really good action sequences(church, ski lodge at the beginning) it would have been utterly forgettable.

The movie was just too goofy for my liking, it strayed a little too far towards the Austin Powers/parody side of the spectrum for my liking (If James Bond is on one end and Powers on the other). Its obviously not a comedy, but it just doesn't do a good job of balancing the irreverence/humor with the ultra-violent action. It just comes off feeling hokey.

Also the cockney British accents were damn hard to understand at times, since only a couple characters have them, you never really get used to hearing it like you do in a movie like Snatch or Trainspotting(where everybody talks that way), where they're hard to understand at first but then you hear it constantly and get used to it. That doesn't happen here, the main character stays hard to understand all the way through, imho.

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You didint like the sky diving scene, finale in the secret cave, exploding heads or any of the time firth was on screen? I enjoyed all the stuff with eggsy at the camp also.

Movie isnt supposed to be taken serious it knew what it was and stayed with it.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I thought the action in the finale in the secret cave was a pretty big let-down after the insane fight sequences with the older Kingsmen earlier in the movie (the church, and the ski lodge). Firth was really good, I think I would have preferred a movie that focused entirely on him rather than the kid. I just didn't like the kid at all as a main character. This whole movie just felt like James Bond for tweens, I'm not sure that it is really targeted at an adult audience, I think it was trying to appeal to the Hunger Games/Maze Runner teen crowd. I went in expecting a fresh take on James Bond and got something closer to Spy Kids instead...

Homsar

Im not getting the love for the ski lodge it was very short. Ski lodge and the bar fight was no different then Eggsy in the cave. I think people are just trying to not like eggsy because hes a young actor.

I have no clue how thise can be considered a tween movie at all, gore, violence, language, pissed off SJW. Yeah the main actor is young, thats about it. Tween movies definitely dont show hundreds of people getting killed and murdered. I dont know the last movie that showed that many deaths on screen tbh

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Yeah... Its like saying the professional is for kids because one of the main characters was like 9.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I thought the kid did a really good job and didn't find him annoying at all. The angst was just right. Also tween movies don't have lines like "If you save the world, we can do it in the asshole".

Homsar

I loved eggsy in the cave then disco fight to top everything off. Im not surr how you improve that ending but try to show more gore. Action was beautiful/smooth and had tons of different elements going on.

Eggsy working over everyone with guns, gadgets, hand to hand, lancelot blowing up shit in space, world destroying itself, merlyn hacking ect, disco fight, heads exploding and the princess anal.... yet the ending was disapointing, wtf

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
I thought they were writing Eggsy and the girl who became Lancelot together, but the whole princess anal through me for a loop.

Homsar

So is Eggsy now Galahad or who is now Arthur? or does he keep the name Eggsy?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I agree with this. Just watched it, and if it weren't for the couple really good action sequences(church, ski lodge at the beginning) it would have been utterly forgettable.

The movie was just too goofy for my liking, it strayed a little too far towards the Austin Powers/parody side of the spectrum for my liking (If James Bond is on one end and Powers on the other). Its obviously not a comedy, but it just doesn't do a good job of balancing the irreverence/humor with the ultra-violent action. It just comes off feeling hokey.

Also the cockney British accents were damn hard to understand at times, since only a couple characters have them, you never really get used to hearing it like you do in a movie like Snatch or Trainspotting(where everybody talks that way), where they're hard to understand at first but then you hear it constantly and get used to it. That doesn't happen here, the main character stays hard to understand all the way through, imho.
i must watch too much British television and youtubers because i had no problem understanding any of the dialogue, i had a tougher time understanding samuel jackson's lisp than eggsy's lines. and this show is VERY much a comedy, its in the vein of edgar wright's three flavours cornetto trilogy (shaun of the dead/hotfuzz/end of the world) which has lots of gore and violence and was extremely funny.

Homsar

Just have to quote this again
I think it was trying to appeal to the Hunger Games/Maze Runner teen crowd. I went in expecting a fresh take on James Bond and got something closer to Spy Kids instead...
Ill start recommending this movie to parents as the sequel to spy kids

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I might have had unrealistic expectations, I had just seen Mad Max the day before in the theater, and re-watched John Wick last week too. It doesn't hold up well when compared to those, although to be fair, few movies do.

I honestly had no idea about the "tone" of the movie before I watched it, I expected straight-up Bond/Bourne type drama & action and was thrown for a loop by the irreverent humor(which I also didn't find particularly funny, so it seemed like a waste of time).

Someone mentioned above that it's a spy movie in the vein of the Shaun of the Dead/Hot Fuzz movies with that type of humor. I'm probably in the minority here but I don't think those movies are very good either. Decent, with a couple funny moments, but nothing worth watching a 2nd time. Had I known that going into Kingsman, I probably wouldn't have bothered. I generally like Matthew Vaughn though, I loved Kickass and Xmen 1st class, this one missed the mark for me though.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I thought the action in the finale in the secret cave was a pretty big let-down after the insane fight sequences with the older Kingsmen earlier in the movie (the church, and the ski lodge). Firth was really good, I think I would have preferred a movie that focused entirely on him rather than the kid. I just didn't like the kid at all as a main character. This whole movie just felt like James Bond for tweens, I'm not sure that it is really targeted at an adult audience, I think it was trying to appeal to the Hunger Games/Maze Runner teen crowd. I went in expecting a fresh take on James Bond and got something closer to Spy Kids instead...
I hadn't heard of this movie but my 6 year old loves Spy Kids, can't stop watching that. I'll get this and watch it with him tonight. Thanks Joeboo!

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Someone mentioned above that it's a spy movie in the vein of the Shaun of the Dead/Hot Fuzz movies with that type of humor. I'm probably in the minority here but I don't think those movies are very good either.
Next time, just start your opinions with this disclaimer so we all know to ignore everything else you say. Thanks!

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I might have had unrealistic expectations, I had just seen Mad Max the day before in the theater, and re-watched John Wick last week too. It doesn't hold up well when compared to those, although to be fair, few movies do.

I honestly had no idea about the "tone" of the movie before I watched it, I expected straight-up Bond/Bourne type drama & action and was thrown for a loop by the irreverent humor(which I also didn't find particularly funny, so it seemed like a waste of time).

Someone mentioned above that it's a spy movie in the vein of the Shaun of the Dead/Hot Fuzz movies with that type of humor. I'm probably in the minority here but I don't think those movies are very good either. Decent, with a couple funny moments, but nothing worth watching a 2nd time. Had I known that going into Kingsman, I probably wouldn't have bothered. I generally like Matthew Vaughn though, I loved Kickass and Xmen 1st class, this one missed the mark for me though.
1. agree
2. that's your issue, you should be able to change your viewpoint or "what you think the movie is" as it's happening, just think if you've never seen a trailer or even heard about it and just saw the title on the movie billboard, that's how i approach movies, like the 80's where you'd have to call "moviefone"
3. I'll throw in my lot with you here, i did not find the Cornetto trilogy particularly good, with a laugh here or there every 30mins, usually it's cheap physical humor, but that's b/c the verbal humor is weak. why does this trilogy work? best to laugh along with ppl with lower movie IQ, so a packed theater is best.