Kobe Bryant killed in helicopter accident, 41

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I'm confused by this story. But my only experience is Navy pilots, where you get instrument qualified like 3 weeks into flight school. Some guy crashing his helicopter because of fog in the LA area just seems bizarre.

I should add that the pilots themselves in the gulf might be instrument rated, but most flights are not instrument flights in my experience. A lot of the birds flying out here don't even have instruments. Also, I'm sure most of the pilots around here were instrument rated on something at some point, but just didn't keep the rating. I'm pretty sure you need IFR flight hours to keep your rating, and if most flights aren't IFR, that gets difficult.

i read that in a jamacian accent, was that wrong?

I read it as a beltalowda

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

lost

<Bronze Donator>
you'll always be instrument rated but to be able to fly IFR/file IFR you need 6 instrument approaches, holding, tracking and intercepting courses through navigational systems in the last 6 months. if you havent then you have another 6 months to go with a safety pilot to practice them but cant be in IFR. After that then you basically take another checkride.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Shit. I forgot. I only came here for memes. You guys disappoint.

Someone fake a tweet from a teammate saying "I can't believe he finally passed"

1580140388392.png

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
The dude is a basketball star with 4 daughters. He probably found out his wife was pregnant with a 5th girl and downed the helicopter himself.

elcaro1101

Vyemm Raider
I agree the one posted isn't the best, but there is a panel of 8 different variations floating around. Can't find it on my feed right now, but has some others that do look pretty good.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I agree the one posted isn't the best, but there is a panel of 8 different variations floating around. Can't find it on my feed right now, but has some others that do look pretty good.

It's not this one is it?

nba-lr-dribbble.jpg

I don't remember what the current logo looks like. I did a GIS for it and I can't tell if I'm seeing the real one or the kobe version.

I guess all white silhouettes look alike to me.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
It's not this one is it?

nba-lr-dribbble.jpg

I don't remember what the current logo looks like. I did a GIS for it and I can't tell if I'm seeing the real one or the kobe version.

Dirk clearly best one

• 1Solidarity

elcaro1101

Vyemm Raider
It's not this one is it?

nba-lr-dribbble.jpg

No, it has multiple Kobe variants, no other players.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
1. Why does it need to change?
2. If it needs to change, why isn't Jordan on the list? Or Wilt? Or Kareem? Or Russell?

• 1Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
1. Why does it need to change?
2. If it needs to change, why isn't Jordan on the list? Or Wilt? Or Kareem? Or Russell?

Its 2020 and you dont know why a logo using a WHITE MALE has to change?...

• 1Worf

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I've been on hundreds of helicopter flight missions. The pilots are almost ALL VFR and instrument rated. There is just not as much use for instrument rating with a helicopter. There is no glide path to follow. You still need to know your landing area (and it can be very small and often is surrounded by hazards). Almost all helicopter pilots use VFR primarilly (for a lot of reasons). I'm not a pilot. I have been in a few very hazardous weather problems and, in an area with sporadic changes in elevation, following a highway or river, IF you can see it) makes sense. Going fast doesn't.

I was wondering why he didn't put the copter down as soon as he hit trouble.

In a car trouble scenario lets say your uber cant see and drives down several alleys the ride is going to be stopped. You pretty much answered my question.

cant upload videos here, but the puddle is the spinning in place location. First sign of trouble.

1580160244198.png

kept going to its crash site

1580160368502.png

Last edited:

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Yeah, I'm confused by this story. But my only experience is Navy pilots, where you get instrument qualified like 3 weeks into flight school. Some guy crashing his helicopter because of fog in the LA area just seems bizarre.

I'd want to see the toxicology on the pilot.

Something ain't right.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Kobe Bryant's helicopter pilot was given 'special clearance to fly at or below 2,500 feet in dangerous weather conditions' - relying only on his eyesight rather than instruments before the crash

Looks like the pilot had stopped using instruments and was given the OK to use eyesight.

Probably some time after the spin puddle on the map above? Or before the spin puddle. We don't have a timeline on that.