Legends of Runeterra - Card game by Riot Games

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I would say Dragon Control becomes a thing. Sol is certainly what you expect a 10 cost to be. It is nice as many players will have an answer to him but you also have to contend with the extra card you got for playing him. If he stays out, you already had the game or you just lost the game most likely. Need a lot of early control to get to 10 cost even if you include a little ramp.

It should be fun. I will be be doing Expeditions initially as I have 12 tokens to run.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Aurelion Sol: I categorize myself as 58% Timmy, so this is perfect for me. He's a VERY tough card to play. Deep was my go to deck this season and Naut on 7 is challenging in itself. It'll be very tough to make it to 10, and then what? The game is basically over. ASol + Thresh seems like a strong possibility. Finding a way to cheat him out will be ideal.

I think stacking up on Moonlights is going to become a very good strategy if you opt out of the Thresh route. Could also try ramp in Freljord... they have more tools to support it now too. His Play effect is nice, but you just get another very expensive card that is tough to play.

His Round Start effect is nice, very RNG, but nice. Sometimes you're going to get Moonlight and be sad by this point.

His Level Up is obviously insane. He levels up in deck/hand which can be VERY relevant. Especially if you are playing him straight up, since the Play effect card you get is also now free.

Mindsplitter: It'll be tried with Yasuo. Maybe 1-of somewhere else but I doubt it. Too expensive. 8 mana almost do nothing. Doesn't stun the turn it is played and the stuns stop as soon as the units are killed or this unit is killed.

Inviolus: Dragon value engine that I can't see being good right now, but perhaps once Shyvana comes out and/or if they do something with the LoL dragons/elder dragon, might make it worth.

Starshaping: Expensive card to draw another expensive card and you get to heal 5. Obviously Spell Mana makes this card a lot more viable. Heal 5 is a lot... 25% of your nexus health, or to be able to keep a Thresh healed up. Combo with Karma to heal 10 and get 2x Celestials? BURST makes this decent. I see it for late game/control style deck. Against Aggro it is still very expensive. Using 5 on healing instead of removal/units is a huge downside. Tough to say.

Messenger's Sigil: Seems memey but I think this card is actually really good. Celestial Synergy, gives you a chump blocker that replaces himself, Deep deck could use it just for extra fodder, and any Control Deck can use it just to add CHEAP units into your deck while biding time to get to late game. I think it's a 3x in a lot of Control Decks.

The Skies Descend: Seems really good and easy to reduce the cost. Consider the Messenger's Sigil and this, if you can get like 3x Doggies out there then this card costs 9 mana. Obviously it can only be played in Celestial/Dragon decks, and even then you need to have an X number of those that can be "spammed" onto the board. I feel like this is a card that will definitely find a home, even as a main-deckable card and not just as a hero spell.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Aurelion Sol: I categorize myself as 58% Timmy, so this is perfect for me. He's a VERY tough card to play. Deep was my go to deck this season and Naut on 7 is challenging in itself. It'll be very tough to make it to 10, and then what? The game is basically over. ASol + Thresh seems like a strong possibility. Finding a way to cheat him out will be ideal.

I think stacking up on Moonlights is going to become a very good strategy if you opt out of the Thresh route. Could also try ramp in Freljord... they have more tools to support it now too. His Play effect is nice, but you just get another very expensive card that is tough to play.

His Round Start effect is nice, very RNG, but nice. Sometimes you're going to get Moonlight and be sad by this point.

His Level Up is obviously insane. He levels up in deck/hand which can be VERY relevant. Especially if you are playing him straight up, since the Play effect card you get is also now free.

Mindsplitter: It'll be tried with Yasuo. Maybe 1-of somewhere else but I doubt it. Too expensive. 8 mana almost do nothing. Doesn't stun the turn it is played and the stuns stop as soon as the units are killed or this unit is killed.

Inviolus: Dragon value engine that I can't see being good right now, but perhaps once Shyvana comes out and/or if they do something with the LoL dragons/elder dragon, might make it worth.

Starshaping: Expensive card to draw another expensive card and you get to heal 5. Obviously Spell Mana makes this card a lot more viable. Heal 5 is a lot... 25% of your nexus health, or to be able to keep a Thresh healed up. Combo with Karma to heal 10 and get 2x Celestials? BURST makes this decent. I see it for late game/control style deck. Against Aggro it is still very expensive. Using 5 on healing instead of removal/units is a huge downside. Tough to say.

Messenger's Sigil: Seems memey but I think this card is actually really good. Celestial Synergy, gives you a chump blocker that replaces himself, Deep deck could use it just for extra fodder, and any Control Deck can use it just to add CHEAP units into your deck while biding time to get to late game. I think it's a 3x in a lot of Control Decks.

The Skies Descend: Seems really good and easy to reduce the cost. Consider the Messenger's Sigil and this, if you can get like 3x Doggies out there then this card costs 9 mana. Obviously it can only be played in Celestial/Dragon decks, and even then you need to have an X number of those that can be "spammed" onto the board. I feel like this is a card that will definitely find a home, even as a main-deckable card and not just as a hero spell.

I've become much more Timmy over the years myself. I was once Spike/Johnny but as I've aged, the competitive fire has simmered. For some reason, this game doesn't bring out much of the Spike just the Timmy/Johnny. I still love to win but it's just not the driver.

My favorite times to play are the first three weeks. Their new release schedule will be a lifesaver for my interest. I've been bored to hell and barely playing for about 2 months. I hadn't watched Mogwai since July. It's been almost 4 months since Bilgewater came out. The Blossoms event made sure I played but it was easy as hell to get to 270. They NEED these staggered releases to keep my interest levels high.

• 1Like

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Update from Riot:

"Celestial cards have an individual weighting, but it's not so extreme. Generally, units are a little more frequent than spells and high cost cards are a little less frequent. At the extreme, some Celestials are 2x as likely as some others."

That‘s pretty interesting, and somewhat comforting because some of the high cost cards are really powerful.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Final reveal.

E1B0FD6C-AD8A-4FFC-AB4C-9841424D3479.png

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Patch Notes 1.8

Not many changes, Taric has been nerfed already. :)

For those who saw Taric's preview, we originally clarified in community discussion that his spell duplication ability would work with Playful Trickster, potentially creating an infinite attack chain. We've since updated Taric's text and functionality to prevent this interaction (and other potential ones like it)

Not surprising really.

• 1Worf

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Nice, can't wait to play. Going to try to squeeze in a few games tonight.

Not sure what I want to try first. Probably something with Taric, Leona or Diana while everyone goes Aurelion Sol.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Game is getting more traffic. Login Ques now exist.

Add to that the inability to even log in. You attempt to log in, get into a que and then get errored out and restart the que. Might be a few hours before this gets straightened out.

I did like one quote I read.

"My body was ready, Riot wasn't".

Last edited:

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Weird issue with my iPad, I downloaded the new version, started it and it updated. It says version 1.8 in the upper left, but I don't have access to any of the new cards.

I hope it get fixed before tonight when I'm ready to play.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Expansion is pretty good. I'm super interested to see how the meta settles.

My initial impressions is that Leona/Daybreak decks are very strong, Lulu/Support mid-range decks are lowkey strong, and Aurelion Sol is the end game winner we expected. I'm interested to see if Trolls are going to find their own place in the meta, or if they're just going to be the mid-range support for ASol. I think Diana and Nocturne are probably the weakest new champions overall, but they're still not completely awful.

I also love that Riot made the Lab allow us to try out Targon cards for the next 20 days rather than just trying to hide them behind a convenience pay wall.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Ok I played a bunch of games tonight.

About 5 with a Leona/Yasuo deck, went 3-2. Leona and her daybreak cards are a really good early curve, I once played her on curve and she activated her level up condition. Yasuo ended up being more of a support to Leona in the deck. Super fun deck to play, I missed lethal in one game, and lost against deep where Maokai actually leveled up and I ran out of time. Rahvun is king in this deck, and probably in all daybreak decks, if you play against a daybreak deck, prioritize removing Ravhun...allowing multiple daybreak per turn is asking for trouble especially with Leona on board.

I then played about 4 games with Diana/Nocturne deck. Nightfall can be awkward to play, you often have nothing to open with In the early turn. I went 2-2, the deck was a bit awkward, and I don’t think I played it all that well. Not sure Diana and Nocturne work that well together aside from sharing nightfall mechanic. Diana has a lot of potential though, got her twice to 7 attack with challenger to pick off targets, she’s truly an assassin.

Then I played 1 game with Tresh/Aurelion Sol and I realized the Dream...turn 7 Aurelion Sol pulled by Thresh. :)

Had tons of fun, saw a deck with Taric that crushed me, can’t wait to try him. Saw a cool deck with Trumble and Aurelion Sol that managed to play Aurelion Sol but game was decided already, I had total board control with Rabhun, Leona and Yasuo on board with a few others.

• 1Like

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I also played a Thresh/Sol deck and mainly fiddled with a Leona Demacia/Daybreak deck. Played her with Quinn and Quinn didn't add much. Played her solo with decent success. Made a Sejuani/Leona deck with ok success even though I know the deck doesn't optimize Sejuani. Really loving Invoke and Solari Priestess is a beast. It's fairly frequent when I get the sisters and two 4/3s with one having elusive on turn 6 is potent. I'll play Taric tomorrow.

Sol is a ton of fun and so is Invoke. Sol doesn't do nearly as much as Gangplank when summoned but it gave me a ton of practice with Invoke cards. Got obliterated by a Noxus allegiance aggro deck but most games were solid battles. Might try a Warmothers deck just for the hell of it. It should help me level Sol as well. Should be fun at least a couple times.

Edit- I don't know if the aggro deck that stomped me was a Darius deck, but with Apprehend, I think the deck may have legs. Definitely working on that tomorrow too. Maybe add 3 Bastion as the only non Noxus cards and see where it goes.

Last edited:

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I just wanted to play with the new cards so I made only mono Targon decks yesterday. Started in normals and won almost every game with shit decks. First was diana/leona and then Leona/asol.

I moved onto ranked with a mono Asol and faced against all trundle/asol decks, which won almost every time due to troll chant pinging off spellshield every time.

Time will tell how the meta shakes out, but first impression is spellshield is super strong and decks need to build around being able to ping it off.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I agree Spellshield is pretty strong, Bastion has proven a lot more effective than I expected. Part of the reason is people are not used to it and not playing around it.

I played a few games with a Taric/Fiora deck, never pulled Taric though. Tyari The Traveller the 2/2 for 2 that Grants his supported ally +0/2 works extremely well with Fiora on curve. The star though was Mountain Sojourners the 2/5 for 5 that Grants supported allies +2/+2 and their supported allies +2/+2. I consistently was able to get the +2/+2 on 2 allies, usually something like:

Sojourner -> Traveller -> Fiora, with Fiora getting permanent +2/+4 each turn with protection in the form of Bastion and Riposte, she achieved her win condition fairly easily. :)

I'll say this though, my opponent focused her a bit too much I think when I believe removing Sojourner or Traveller would have made better sense for the long term.

I'm enjoying these new decks.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Im seeing Alanzq playing Leona/Diana.
Funny that was the first combo I made, and it was actually working pretty nicely when I played it in Normals, but definitely not optimized.
People were thinking Daylight/Nightfall wouldn't have much synergy together for whatever reason, mainly because Nightfall *looks* more aggro and Daylight is more mid/control.

Still a ways to go before we truly find a meta, but I might load up Alan's list later and give it another spin in ranked.
Unfortunately people seem to be gravitating toward streamer lists so I'm sure it'll also be everywhere by now

Hopefully Swim or Mogwai play something else that grabs people's attention :D

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Im seeing Alanzq playing Leona/Diana.
Funny that was the first combo I made, and it was actually working pretty nicely when I played it in Normals, but definitely not optimized.
People were thinking Daylight/Nightfall wouldn't have much synergy together for whatever reason, mainly because Nightfall *looks* more aggro and Daylight is more mid/control.

Still a ways to go before we truly find a meta, but I might load up Alan's list later and give it another spin in ranked.
Unfortunately people seem to be gravitating toward streamer lists so I'm sure it'll also be everywhere by now

Hopefully Swim or Mogwai play something else that grabs people's attention :D

I wanted to play that deck but just haven't had time and wanted to see other variations first. My time has been extremely limited this week and it sucks

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
OMG, I just lost in the funniest way possible.

I was in total control of the game 20 to 6 or so, 4 units on the board, I just cleared his board. My hand was 4 spells.

Two of the units I had were Mentor of the Stones. He top deckeked a Ruination and I drew a 5th spell, kills everything and the Mentor fill my hand with gems. I now have 10 cards...all of which require for me to have an ally to target...my board is empty...

I CAN NO LONGER DRAW ANY CARDS, my hand is full of spells I can't play. :)

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
OMG, I just lost in the funniest way possible.

I was in total control of the game 20 to 6 or so, 4 units on the board, I just cleared his board. My hand was 4 spells.

Two of the units I had were Mentor of the Stones. He top deckeked a Ruination and I drew a 5th spell, kills everything and the Mentor fill my hand with gems. I now have 10 cards...all of which require for me to have an ally to target...my board is empty...

I CAN NO LONGER DRAW ANY CARDS, my hand is full of spells I can't play. :)

Hilarious.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I played 3 games during my lunch break with Tresh/Aurelion Sol, I sadly wasn't able to pull the Dream of an early Aurelion like last night.

The deck doesn't seem very consistent, too many resources I think are dedicated to leveling Thresh for an early Aurelion Sol, if that doesn't happen, the deck seems to just fizzle out.
The Trundle/Sol deck seems better, but it looks very greedy, it has a shitload of healing though to stall things out until you can play your greedy card, might try that instead of Tresh.