Legends of Runeterra - Card game by Riot Games

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
This week's vault rewarded me with 1 Zed(my 3rd). I got a lot of shards from common cards where I have 3 already. I think I only got 1 or 2 epic, but I did get a lot of rare wildcards.

I'm thinking it might end up being more difficult to get all the epics than the champions.

Patch later today, looking forward to seeing how the meta will shift or not. Some sleeper cards were starting to be played in masters...Elnuks. They might become tier 1. :)

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I hate Counterspell.

A shout out for a good change:

DENY | Cost: 3 | Cost: 4

• Deny is moving from watchlist to changelist after rigorous internal testing and debate. While there are good arguments for Deny to exist at three mana, ultimately it’s proven too prevalent and disruptive to the metagame, heavily restricting viable card options.
  • When testing this change internally, we found that play patterns involving Deny tended to feel more fair. Holding up Deny now always costs at least one mana per turn that you’d otherwise use to develop your board, a cost that makes for more involved decision making than when Deny was fully castable with spell mana.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Well playing while on medication that makes you drowsy was a terrible idea. My expedition Trial 1 ended up in 2 straight losses, and Trial ended in 1 win and 2 losses. So many misplays, it was ridiculous. :)

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
So I'm waffling around in Plat trying to find my next deck to climb.

Full out Aggro is pretty strong, using a lot of similar cards but changing up champions... sometimes Zed, sometimes Jinx
I also still see a fair number of Fearsome/Hecarim/Mistwraith decks.

I've seen a LOT of this warmother control deck yesterday:
It does ok vs the Heimer/Ez decks due to the healing, I'm not sure how it does vs Aggro though.

Heimerdinger decks are getting better and more refined too. IMO Heimer can maintain a decent winrate vs both Aggro & Control. IMO Heimer is a top-tier deck, I just don't have a top-tier list yet. Mobalytics has Heimer with an S-tier deck, I've been using something similar to it:

bleedat

Molten Core Raider
Just started playing this. Seems cool but not having access to cards sucks. Seems you have to grind a good bit before you can make anything strong.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

shishare

Golden Knight of the Realm
Thats my only real gripe about it thus far, its grindy for champs, but so far im enjoying it quite a bit

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
LOL, when an expedition decks come out better than a constructed one. Troop of Elnuks on his turn 5, Pack Mentality of my turn 6....7th win of my expedition. :)

Pack Mentality.png

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
After playing a lot over the weekend, my main complaint atm is Hecarim.
Hecarim + Rekindler is just broken.

I should really be playing it myself probably but I cruised from Plat IV - Plat I using these 2 aggro decks, so figured I could push to Diamond, but ended up losing 4-5 in a row to mostly Hec decks, now I'm just sitting plat II.

Xixo Zed deck:

Swim's Jinx deck:

Swim's Jinx/Teemo deck got me from Plat IV - Plat II/III.
Xixo's Zed deck got me into Plat I

I also tried this Karma control deck but the games are so long and the win rate is not good vs infinite Hecarims:

The Karma deck was wrecking my shit as the Zed deck, because the Zed deck has no direct removal to deal with Karma sitting on the bench.
So I thought it was a good deck until I played it and ended up against every Hec player in Plat. Ruination just doesn't work against full boards since they get initiative back right away and can play a Rekindler or another Hec, the the removal only goes so far vs multiple 6 health Hecarims

Fearsome/Hec deck is just super strong and not much else is worth playing atm.

bleedat

Molten Core Raider
How often do they patch/nerf stuff? Not sure I want to invest the time into a game that has one dominant deck

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
How often do they patch/nerf stuff? Not sure I want to invest the time into a game that has one dominant deck

Riot plans to patch Legends of Runeterra every two weeks. The patches will cycle between small and large patches, with 0.8.3 being an example of a smaller patch. Larger patches — the first of which hits in two weeks — will focus on major card updates and balance. Riot plans to release patches on Tuesdays at 12:30 p.m. ET.

Every 2 weeks. Balance update was last week, so next big balance patch is in 3 weeks or so, tomorrow should be a small patch. No idea if small patches will do card adjustments.. guess we'll find out soon.

Hec is dominant but there's still a large variety and if you never invested time yet, the meta lower in the ranks is much more diverse anyway.
Card games always have a problematic deck imo. Just a matter of how long it dominates for.

I'm sure after Hec, you'll see more complaining about Elnuks or Zed or whatever.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I haven't played much this week, might not get my weekly vault to 10. :(

I watched more than usual of Mogwai and Swim and both seems to agree that Hecarim needs a nerf. I think both find Mark of the Isles a bit too strong too. Control seems pretty dominant in this meta. Riot expected that since their watchlist after the patch was Fearsome decks and Control, both of which are popular right now.

We still have a few weeks before the next patch, and people seem to find new decks to be competitive almost on a daily basis so there's a lot of decent viable decks out there.

I expect we'll see some type of nerfs to the Ezreal and Karma decks since both are kind of not interactive in the end. Ezreal last turn for example is usually a OTK doing around 16 damage that cannot be stopped since it's almost all burst spells being played.

Aside from a few decks, the meta is pretty interesting really with lots of viable stuff.

Troop of Elnuks might need a nerf, it's probably the most RNG card in the LoR, and if you get nothing(extremely rare) it's a bad card, but if you get at least 1 Elnuks it's pretty good, 2 Elnuks or more is just insane value as 4/5 is a decent body on the board.

My take so far on LoR is that it has a decent meta, and it seems Riot will be doing a lot to keep it interesting with balance patch. It doesn't need a lot of changes to shift the meta drastically as they've shown with their first balance patch.

I 'm hoping to get to play more starting tonight again. I'm still awaiting the mobile version which will most likely be on a new iPad as my loyal iPad Air 2 of 5.5 years is starting to die. It still runs great but battery life is much reduced, and since this weekend, the connector to charge it fails to recognize the charger most of the time and it fails to charge randomly.

I still wish more people were playing on twitch, I really like Mogwai, my favorite by far right now but doesn't seem to stream when I can watch. While Swim is very good at explaining the game and strategy, he's a bit annoying...and needs a fucking haircut. I haven't found anyone else that has a good personality and explains well what they do. I watched LoR on twitch to learn tips and tricks mostly.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I haven't played much this week, might not get my weekly vault to 10. :(

I watched more than usual of Mogwai and Swim and both seems to agree that Hecarim needs a nerf. I think both find Mark of the Isles a bit too strong too. Control seems pretty dominant in this meta. Riot expected that since their watchlist after the patch was Fearsome decks and Control, both of which are popular right now.

We still have a few weeks before the next patch, and people seem to find new decks to be competitive almost on a daily basis so there's a lot of decent viable decks out there.

I expect we'll see some type of nerfs to the Ezreal and Karma decks since both are kind of not interactive in the end. Ezreal last turn for example is usually a OTK doing around 16 damage that cannot be stopped since it's almost all burst spells being played.

Aside from a few decks, the meta is pretty interesting really with lots of viable stuff.

Troop of Elnuks might need a nerf, it's probably the most RNG card in the LoR, and if you get nothing(extremely rare) it's a bad card, but if you get at least 1 Elnuks it's pretty good, 2 Elnuks or more is just insane value as 4/5 is a decent body on the board.

My take so far on LoR is that it has a decent meta, and it seems Riot will be doing a lot to keep it interesting with balance patch. It doesn't need a lot of changes to shift the meta drastically as they've shown with their first balance patch.

I 'm hoping to get to play more starting tonight again. I'm still awaiting the mobile version which will most likely be on a new iPad as my loyal iPad Air 2 of 5.5 years is starting to die. It still runs great but battery life is much reduced, and since this weekend, the connector to charge it fails to recognize the charger most of the time and it fails to charge randomly.

I still wish more people were playing on twitch, I really like Mogwai, my favorite by far right now but doesn't seem to stream when I can watch. While Swim is very good at explaining the game and strategy, he's a bit annoying...and needs a fucking haircut. I haven't found anyone else that has a good personality and explains well what they do. I watched LoR on twitch to learn tips and tricks mostly.

I can't really stand Swim tbh, the way he presents himself is too "holier than thou" type. He gives off a vibe of all-knowing. Usually his decks are decent enough but not meta shattering. People just play them a lot because it's "swim". I prefer Xixo & Mogwai decks usually.

Mogwai is cool, I watch some of his Youtube videos.
I don't really watch twitch streams, or if I check for some, nobody is on that I want to watch.
I usually tune into Dog if he's playing but I think he's still into HS more.

Edit: Speaking of Swim, heres a meta report he posted today, which I watch since he's really the only person putting out this type of content, and case in point, he ranks the Karma deck Tier 1 even though he's in the middle of doing "a lot of changes"... the guy just makes 0 sense with his rankings, tbh. His meta report last week was Heimer would be Tier 1, which was kinda true for a day or so, but he claimed a lot of shit would be tier 1 that was still in-the-works.. idk. You do see a lot of this on the ladder though simply cause people are watching his vids. He also rarely gives credit to the original deck builder and always has "his own take" on a deck...

Last edited:

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Ravishing Ravishing , I agree with you, Swim's annoying. I just watch him because I like his thought process while he's playing. I don't play his decks, I prefer Mogwai's deck since he usually doesn't play meta decks, and tries to find ways to make some fun concept works.

I feel Swim's popular because he just fills a void in the LoR scene right now. I would definitely like if a different "personality" would step up and do the work he does like meta analysis, but for now we have to make do with him.

• 1Solidarity

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Add me to the list that can't stand Swim. I watch his stuff occasionally but only because the options are so limited right now. Hecarim is ridiculous. I started the week off ok. First two chests were garbage but completed my set of Ezrael with the third. Time to make that deck. Got a Kalista as an upgrade from an epic reward and just used money to get full set of Hecarim before he's nerfed. I'll be trying to level right before the nerf and the month ends.

bleedat

Molten Core Raider
Seems to me that we have some pros here that should start streaming and doing the meta analysis!

bleedat

Molten Core Raider
Not sure what I’m missing but had an 11 vault and didn’t get a champion? Thought it was 10 plus?

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Not sure what I’m missing but had an 11 vault and didn’t get a champion? Thought it was 10 plus?

There is no guarantees of getting a champion. At 10 you get an expedition token which guarantees a champion.

• 1Like

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
That was a lot of xp in a single game. I had a quest that required me to win 2 with Shadow Isles, already had won 1 the other day. 2nd quest is to win 1 with Freljord. 3rd is win 1 game with Tresh and Ruination in my deck.

So I used a Warmother Control deck, switch out 1 Anivia for 1 Tresh just for quest. I win...3 quest complete at once for 4.3K xp at once. :)

Oh, this reminds me to go back and remove Tresh and put back in Anivia.

• 1Like