Lovecraft Country

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Same, I watched about 15 minutes or so before going bleh and turning it off. Gonna wait a few episodes and go back to it if it seems like they are getting better again.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Caught up on this yesterday evening - it's... just okay?

HBO has had a string of complete turds lately and I no longer hold them to any standard regarding serial television.

Disappointing

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
After Game of Thrones, I definitely don't give HBO benefit of the doubt any more. I have this one on my Plex server, but will likely wait until it's done and hear it was good, before wasting what precious free time I have.

• 4Like

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I quit watching this in the third episode at the point where they all ran outside and she starts smashing up all the white folks' cars.

Not one shot was fired, not one person raised a voice. However, the show seems to continue to portray all white people, with the exception of one random guy in the house who I suspect was a screenwriter grabbing a cameo, as violent, hate-filled racists.

I recall the book tackles the issue of racism far better than this but if the show is going to deliver more of the same I'll give it a miss.

Racism in any form really fucking infuriates me. The constant barrage of, "Black good! White bad!" might be empowering but it comes at the cost of racism.

• 1Like
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 1 users

Gutterflesh

Parody Account
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
As a long time fan of Lovecraft I really wanted to like this, but I couldn’t make it through episode 3. The story is all over the god damn place and quite honestly it’s just not that interesting. The whole thing feels amateurish and ham fisted considering the source material.

I’ve come to accept the fact that we will never see a proper depiction of Lovecraft’s material on screen.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
As a long time fan of Lovecraft I really wanted to like this, but I couldn’t make it through episode 3. The story is all over the god damn place and quite honestly it’s just not that interesting. The whole thing feels amateurish and ham fisted considering the source material.

I’ve come to accept the fact that we will never see a proper depiction of Lovecraft’s material on screen.

In the Mouth of Madness would like a word with you.

• 4Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>

If you mean cosmic horror there are several great examples.
If you mean Lovecraft in particular probably Color out of Space only comes to mind.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gutterflesh

Parody Account
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
If you mean cosmic horror there are several great examples.
If you mean Lovecraft in particular probably Color out of Space only comes to mind.

Yea was talking more about staying true to the Lovecraft canon.

If I’m being honest I probably never gave Color a fair shake, because of Cage. I don’t hate the guy or anything, but I get distracted (?) by his presence on screen and it pulls me out of the movie.

For straight up cosmic horror I always look back on Event Horizon. Granted it’s somewhat dated and a little messy, but it “feels right”. I watched it (again) a couple months back and it made me squirm like a little bitch.

• 3Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Yea was talking more about staying true to the Lovecraft canon.

If I’m being honest I probably never gave Color a fair shake, because of Cage. I don’t hate the guy or anything, but I get distracted (?) by his presence on screen and it pulls me out of the movie.

For straight up cosmic horror I always look back on Event Horizon. Granted it’s somewhat dated and a little messy, but it “feels right”. I watched it (again) a couple months back and it made me squirm like a little bitch.
The Thing. The Void. In the Mouth of Madness. Besides Event Horizon those are my favorites but there are a bunch more.

• 3Like

Gutterflesh

Parody Account
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I’m going to watch Mouth of Madness tonight once the wife goes to bed. I didn’t like it years ago when I first saw it, but I’m going to give it another shot.

The Thing (80s) does trump Event Horizon in a lot of ways. I haven’t watched The Void yet, but apparently I should based on what I’ve seen/read.

You guys are right. There is some good shit out there. I’m just being a salty old fuck.

• 1Like

Barellron

Trakanon Raider
This show masquerades as black empowerment but it's basically just insulting to everyone; black people, white people, gays, Lovecraft fans, horror genre fans, people with eyes and ears, etc.

One small example - the music. It's not just anachronistic, it's on-the-nose to the point of mockery. Is the gay black dad (of course he's gay because he's a dad in a TV show in 2020) about to pound his drag queen buddy? Oh, let's throw on some Frank Ocean so the black gays can yell "YAAS QUEEN" at the screen. Thick black woman sodomizing a white guy to death with a stilleto? Cue Cardi B with, "these is red bottoms, these is bloody shoes". It's like the show is soundtracked by a white teenager who just made their first black friend in high school.

I give it 0/10 Omars. This show builds bookcases.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ome

Molten Core Raider
I'm still hanging on to this show but I cant argue that many of the choices are lame as already mentioned from the music selection, to bashing you over the head with all white people are evil. As if that isn't enough we finally arrived at the norm for EVERY TV show nowadays...the man on man butt pounding scene has finally arrived with some To Wong Foo thrown in for good measure. This show has potential but many of the choices made are going to turn viewers away.

• 1Worf