Lumi's Batshit Insane Thread

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Do you even read what you're posting?

A study of 95% women (already biased right off the bat) correlating prayer with slightly lower levels of depression isn't remotely comparable to the broadest and most wide ranging study done in history on the effects of prayer in relation to health, conducted at the expense of millions of dollars and with literally thousands of study participants and over a decade of research. Also I can't even find a mention of how many people were involved in the study you're linking, but I can bet it was far less than 1800. In fact I'm sure it was far less than that.

Troll harder bro.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I dunno, bro. I prayed and I feel pretty good right now. Looks like it works. Checkmate, science.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
i used to get a lot of lucid dreams after praying and get a few epic visions (true story).

it was a hell of a ride.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
Not all prayers are equal.

There is quite a range of activity that people would qualify as a prayer. Everything from a simple grace before a meal, to silent prayers hoping for safety, to a 6 hour long meditation session on top of a mountain.

The controlled breathing and reciting of mantras found in a meditative prayer can definitely alter a person's vital metrics and brain environment. This in turn affects how they think or focus their thoughts.

The "oh shit" prayers, like when someone is in trouble, might have a calming effect with the placebo effect, like was mentioned. This calming might in fact help the person out of their situation by preventing panic from setting in. Of course the person's belief will not allow them to attribute any benefits of the prayer to anything except the deity it was directed at.

The "I want something" prayers, are just people fantasizing about greener pastures in a religious context.

Saying grace is a formality, like saying thank you.

Some of these prayers might drastically alter a persons ability to think, and others will have about as much impact as blinking.

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
Hold on, I need to send a quick prayer to omniscient god so that he can know what it is that I want.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Troll harder bro.
Always good to see a bunch of fanatical atheists filling up random threads in an attempt to defend and/or proslytize their belief system. I should have realized what I was dealing with earlier, my bad.

Atheists, the Jehovah's Witnesses of the Internet.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I'm pretty sure the definition of rabid is getting mega angsty over someone telling you neurotheology isn't a real science.

Which, by the way, its not.

Sterling

El Presidente
Always good to see a bunch of fanatical atheists filling up random threads in an attempt to defend and/or proslytize their belief system. I should have realized what I was dealing with earlier, my bad.

Atheists, the Jehovah's Witnesses of the Internet.
So you just take that one part of his post and don't actually respond to the meat of the post which pretty well refutes your whole thing. Nice.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
At the B.S.U. Seminary and Neuroscience College.

And no, I don't mean Ball State, Boise State, Bridgewater State or Bowie State Universities.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
So you just take that one part of his post and don't actually respond to the meat of the post which pretty well refutes your whole thing. Nice.
Out in force today. There are multiple studies showing the positive effects of prayer on depression and anxiety.
I just linked to one - you and he are free to google the others.

I find arguing with fanatics boring.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
There are multiple studies showing the positive effects of prayer on depression and anxiety.
Are they all conducted by neurotheologists?

Cause yeah....not really gonna be a very reliable study. Neurotheologist is a lot like "Biblical archaeologist" I imagine.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Are they all conducted by neurotheologists?

Cause yeah....not really gonna be a very reliable study. Neurotheologist is a lot like "Biblical archaeologist" I imagine.
more like Evolutional Creationist

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Intelligently designed descent with gradual modification.

Jesus powered gradual modification.