Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I'm definitely cautiously optimistic. Thing is, we pretty much know what we will get with Avengers. It looks almost impossible for it not to be at least as fun as the first one, potentially even better. This thing could still turn out to be a Prometheus level letdown, though it doesn't look like it so far. But really I didn't know how bad Prometheus would be from the trailers either.
I know he's probably jaded because he wasn't asked to be in this movie, but apparently Mel Gibson read the script and basically said it's one large chase scene.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That actually doesn't reassure me. Sounds like critic talk for "oh shit look at all the explosions and effects!"

Fury Road is violent, but much of the truly horrific violence happens just off screen, so it's more thriller than gore fest. The impact is intensified by the slight offset, with more of an emotional and visceral reaction than pure gore alone could extract.

The sexual violence prevalent in the first two films is thankfully missing, demonstrating perhaps how far we've come as a cinema-going society since the '80s.
Great. So in other words, modern Hollywood's PC version of "R rated".

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
That actually doesn't reassure me. Sounds like critic talk for "oh shit look at all the explosions and effects!"

Great. So in other words, modern Hollywood's PC version of "R rated".
If you seriously think this is more than an action movie with lots of explosions and effects, you haven't been paying attention. This movie is not like the the first two films for a very long list of reasons. Nothing big budget today is going to fill the shoes of a small budget Australian film from 1979. It just isn't' going to happen.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
If you seriously think this is more than an action movie with lots of explosions and effects, you haven't been paying attention. This movie is not like the the first two films for a very long list of reasons. Nothing big budget today is going to fill the shoes of a small budget Australian film from 1979. It just isn't' going to happen.
Sadly, you are correct. It could happen. It should happen, but it won't. Even some of the greatest directors of all time (Spielberg, Lucas, Jackson, etc.) have been corrupted by special effects; especially CGI. I doubt the script for this latest Mad Max film is much more than a storyboard.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
The sexual violence is thankfully missing? It's a post-apocalyptic society. How would gender equality be plausible and how is not showing it if it is likely, good art? So since the 80s we've grown increasingly capable of lying to ourselves about the nature of humanity. Fuck that guy.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well, no one expected it to be the first Mad Max, but maybe at least a nice balance of RW and Thunderdome. But I've been worried it will be exactly what you said from early on. Hence my cautious optimism, because its a fun looking trailer. I could still see it being as good as Thunderdome, which isn't terrible. I'm not expecting it to take the place of RW or anything. I want it to be good and I'll probably go see it but I'm not trying to get my expectations up either.

Sadly, you are correct. It could happen. It should happen, but it won't. Even some of the greatest directors of all time (Spielberg, Lucas, Jackson, etc.) have been corrupted by special effects; especially CGI. I doubt the script for this latest Mad Max film is much more than a storyboard.
Yeah, I've also worried from the beginning that the CGI looks too slick and clean in all the trailers. Maybe they balanced it out, at least there seems to be some ok practical costumes.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I also would love for it to be closer to the original two but this is a big budget film. They aren't going to push too far into a direction that money may not take them. I'm hoping that Miller still makes it enjoyable which it looks good so far. I just don't have higher expectations than a better than average summer movie. Was maybe a bit too harsh there.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I'm actually worried that what Mel Gibson said about the movie is true. From the trailers, it looks like it's just one long car chase. "The Road Warrior" had a long chase scene in it at the end, but there was still some meat to that story and the chase scene at the end actually made sense (they were literally chasing the oil tanker for what they perceived was carrying the gasoline they were after). I'd love to be pleasantly surprised by this movie, but I have to admit, I lost interest in it when I found out that Gibson wasn't going to be in it (but I understand why Miller didn't want Mel in it after his recent anti-Semitic rants).

Caliane

eh. I'm a bit back and forth on those comments.

film is not made in the same way these days. Yes, The Road Warrior is like a million times slower paced then we probably remember. And it would probably be pretty hard to make a movie like that again, and have it feel satisfying. Its been a long time. so maybe. slow act 1-3 buildup and full on 4th act giant chase.

That said... I personally am totally ok with a 2 hour grindhouse chase scene like The Island, or the Duel, etc...

I for the life of me, don't remember how much gore was actually in the originals. The comments about being a Hollywood R would be troubling.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
eh. I'm a bit back and forth on those comments.

film is not made in the same way these days. Yes, The Road Warrior is like a million times slower paced then we probably remember. And it would probably be pretty hard to make a movie like that again, and have it feel satisfying. Its been a long time. so maybe. slow act 1-3 buildup and full on 4th act giant chase.
Yeah, we can't have any silent slow moments these days. Summer movie, must be all go all action all the time red bull gives you wings explosion in your face exxxtremmmeeee!!!!!

Siliconemelons

I'm actually worried that what Mel Gibson said about the movie is true. From the trailers, it looks like it's just one long car chase. "The Road Warrior" had a long chase scene in it at the end, but there was still some meat to that story and the chase scene at the end actually made sense (they were literally chasing the oil tanker for what they perceived was carrying the gasoline they were after). I'd love to be pleasantly surprised by this movie, but I have to admit, I lost interest in it when I found out that Gibson wasn't going to be in it (but I understand why Miller didn't want Mel in it after his recent anti-Semitic rants).
What's funny is way back when this project was just rumbling around and even when it started and stopped a few times the idea was to make it 80% chase scene. While RW made it iconic- and TD threw one in very forced...and even MM kinda had one if you count the showdowns on the long road... I am surprised that, that idea made it- and maybe even made it to theend.

Siliconemelons

Sorry two post...

On the early days of netflix there was this series of documentaries about the birth and rise (and fall?) of aulstralian film- mostly about how there were zero regulations- violence, sex etc. And how the reform movements killed the industry- anywho it talked about madmax a good bit- and also how back in the day they just used actual sharp shooters shooting at people for "gun shot hits rock next to bob" moments.

I am sure it's on youtube now, it was actually quite interesting and sadly... I doubt as many said_ a true MM and RW like movie just CANT be made beyond small indi type flicks.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
In his quest for realism, the director also vowed to use as little CGI and green screen as possible. That meant going old-school, to use Miller's term, performing all the stunts, practically, out there in the Namib Desert. Cars were flipped, stuntmen were thrown, trucks were exploded in massive orange fireballs.

Quote from an interview with Miller. He also confirms it is pretty much on long chase.

| New York Post

Column_sl

shitlord
In his quest for realism, the director also vowed to use as little CGI and green screen as possible. That meant going old-school, to use Miller's term, performing all the stunts, practically, out there in the Namib Desert. Cars were flipped, stuntmen were thrown, trucks were exploded in massive orange fireballs.

Quote from an interview with Miller. He also confirms it is pretty much on long chase.

| New York Post
This is silly, what he's trying to say is they did a lot of stunts on the film, and when you look inside the cars it isn't actors on a set. It's a car on a camera truck with a camera crew filming into the car as it's being pulled.

We know there is a good bit of CGI in sections of the movie, unless you think there was a giant tornado, and all there actors died filming it while the film crew who was in the middle of it remain untouched.

On the movie is just one long chase so it must not be good, just ridiculous. Tons of action movies are just point A to point B. The Warriors, Judge Dredd,every Arnold film ever etc. Even slasher Films are just predator hunting prey...

If they are trying to imply that the actors never get out the cars we already know that's not true because the trailer clearly show Charlize's character getting out of her vehicle trying to barter with some nomadic gang, as they are being chased by the Main antagonist of the film.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Yall better stop questioning how great mad max will be or you'll get negged too.