Marriage and the Power of Divorce

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
So I asked my BF the other day if he wanted to get a pre-nup and his response was the whole "I don't see why we'd need one, I'd never leave you" thing. Him leaving me is not really a thing I'm worried about, but I've always had the "why not get one?" attitude towards pre-nups. What's a good way to explain why to get one to him without bringing up things that involve splitting up?

iannis

Musty Nester
There are some things that you need in life, and they are unpleasant things. You need a will for your worldly effects. You WILL die.

You also need a pre-nup for the possibility that life does not happen the way that you expect it to happen while you're waiting to die. Lets hope we never need it, but if we ever do need it we will both be glad to have it.

That would work on me. I'd respect her for being practical. Mileage may vary.

But if you can't agree on a pre-marriage agreement which will in part shape the nature of the marriage (the specifics of it, not the idea of it) at least in the first few years (I mean after 10 years... a prenup is still binding, but is it all that personally relevant anymore?)... I don't know, I've never been married. But it seems that might be an ill omen. And that might be part of what he's resisting, too.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
So I asked my BF the other day if he wanted to get a pre-nup and his response was the whole "I don't see why we'd need one, I'd never leave you" thing. Him leaving me is not really a thing I'm worried about, but I've always had the "why not get one?" attitude towards pre-nups. What's a good way to explain why to get one to him without bringing up things that involve splitting up?
Do you make more money than him or something? Kind of a weird role reversal thing going on here as I've never heard the woman bring it up. As for the whole "I'd never leave you" thing.. All I can do is /emote "rolls eyes".

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I make about twice as much as he does, but we're both pretty low income right now so it's not really a huge gap in reality. I don't think he'd try to fuck me if something did happen, but I swear after reading shit here and hearing other stories from friends getting absolutely fucked by their women, I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't just get one. I tend to have a lot more of a logical/practical/worst-case-scenario mind than he does and yeah obviously I don't ever want us to split up but like was said above, sometimes life just doesn't go as expected so why not make shit easier should it happen. I tried to bring up death-related stuff as a good reason for one but he seemed less than convinced.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Just tell him you want one just in case. He probably thinks you're just asking when you should be saying what you really want. He might not initially want one but I bet he would if you said that's what you wanted.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
I make about twice as much as he does, but we're both pretty low income right now so it's not really a huge gap in reality. I don't think he'd try to fuck me if something did happen, but I swear after reading shit here and hearing other stories from friends getting absolutely fucked by their women, I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't just get one. I tend to have a lot more of a logical/practical/worst-case-scenario mind than he does and yeah obviously I don't ever want us to split up but like was said above, sometimes life just doesn't go as expected so why not make shit easier should it happen. I tried to bring up death-related stuff as a good reason for one but he seemed less than convinced.
Hire male meth prostitutes, take them to sex cinemas, let them plow you, get STI's, take them home to him and presto he'll suddenly love you more and have never ending sex. Please post story in a thread. Thaaaanks.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I had told him I wanted one and that we could discuss it more whenever we get to that point. I just want to make sure I have some kind of convincing ammunition to throw whenever that discussion happens. I'm not super obsessed with getting one, it just seems common sense to do and I don't want him being worried by the topic or what not. I just get the feeling he's under the impression that the only reason someone wants a pre-nup is so they can peace out with shit later on which I'm sure happens but isn't why id want one.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
If my wife had asked me I would've done it in hindsight. I make 100% of our income but when we got engaged she was making way more.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Out of curiousity, I'm wondering what you guys want out of a pre-nup? Are you looking to have an agreement for no alimony? As Cad pointed out, they are worthless for child support. Unsure if you can make any pre-agreement on custody, but I imagine any court would revisit that in a contentious divorce if accusations get made. Do you have big ticket or sentimental items you want it made clear you own outside the marriage? A trust fund? A family business? Would you demand you get a higher than 50% take of joint assets (accumulated after marriage)?

I'm seeing lots of pre-nup support, just wondering what you'd want in it.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
TBH, I'm not really even sure what I'd want in it at the moment. Neither of us really have any assets, save for I guess my IRA? which I don't even know if that's a thing that can be up for splitting. Neither of us ever want kids anyway so the child support thing already doesn't matter. Only thing I can really think of off the top of my head would be if we split up, he should probably get any cats we have and I should probably get whatever dogs since that would just make sense based on our preferences. That and any death-related stuff. I figured when the time came to discuss it we could maybe just get a consultation about what to even put in it.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Pre nup protects assets you owned prior to the marriage, if you have no valuable assets why bother?

khalid

Unelected Mod
he should probably get any cats we have and I should probably get whatever dogs since that would just make sense based on our preference
It might sound silly, but I have two different friends who had huge problems with their divorce over who got to keep pets. This is a great thing to have talked about and dealt with before bad feelings get thrown in the mix.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Pre nup protects assets you owned prior to the marriage, if you have no valuable assets why bother?
In my state, the law already protects separate vs joint property. Though the pre-nup could spell it out more clearly.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
There's no reason for anyone to fear a pre-nup. It's basically a free-for-all during the pre-nup. You can have provisions in it where you get some of the shit the other person owned before the marriage. My wife and I talked about one, but we both wanted all the guns and wouldn't budge. We finally agreed if we ever split up it was just going to be messy. So explain that a pre-nup doesn't have to be about screwing one party over. It's just deciding now while you're still friends how shit will go down in the worst case. Koushiro be sure to include that you have to option to suck his dick once a month after divorce until he gets remarried.

Secondly, this is a flyer, but can't a pre-nup protect one parties assets from the other person's debt? I think I heard about that one time, but for all I know it was on TV.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Sounds like supernatural fans.
Supernatural was great for the first 5 seasons. Fucking awesome stuff that got better every year. Then the story ended and CW threw money at them to keep it going anyways. I still enjoy it, but I can see it's not nearly as good as it used to be.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Thanks man. I didn't really need someone to act out what I said though. I think everyone who knows a supernatural fan was picking up what I laid down.