Marriage and the Power of Divorce

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
It's all good. If you know what you want and don't want, it's pretty easy to avoid it.

That said, the pool of childless women(who don't have even worse baggage)gets smaller and smaller as you get older. I'm 40 as of this year and have dated many women, all of whom had no kids. None of them were half as awesome as my current girlfriend.

To be clear, I wasn't even referring to you or your situation. If you're cool with it, awesome. Like I said, I don't have much interest in getting seriously involved with someone who already has kids, but I do keep an open mind.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I do not understand how people who are not married go in on a house together at all. My friend did that and when he had had enough of her, he just bailed causing them both to go into bankruptcy. Maybe it's just as easy even if you are married, but my understanding at least there is legal recourse then isn't there?

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I do not understand how people who are not married go in on a house together at all. My friend did that and when he had had enough of her, he just bailed causing them both to go into bankruptcy. Maybe it's just as easy even if you are married, but my understanding at least there is legal recourse then isn't there?
There is legal recourse whether you're married or not, as long as you take the precautions to protect yourself in the beginning. If you let one person put everything in their name(or yours) and then get burned, the victim really only has themselves to blame at that point.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
What I find funny is both families were pushing them telling them how great of an idea buying a house was. Except me. I told him straight up "this is not a good idea, you aren't even married"

I had some weird sense about the woman being insane anyways, but no one shared my sentiments.

Now they're all going "oh yeah well I knew it was a bad idea to buy the house" WELL WHY THE FUCK DIDN'T YOU TELL THE GUY THAT

Eomer

Trakanon Raider

Yeah, it's just asking for trouble. I had a friend who was in a long term relationship with a chick, and they put a deposit down for a condo pre-sale. Or rather, he did. She didn't put in a fucking thing for the deposit/downpayment to my understanding. But they co-signed on the pre-sale and mortgage. They took possession a year later or whatever, moved in to it, and not long after they broke up. He had been paying basically all of the mortgage payments, she was only chipping in maybe a quarter or third. The cunt then wanted some ridiculous number to get bought out of the condo, which they had very little actual equity in, but she was claiming that the suite had appreciated a bunch from what they'd originally paid for it and she wanted her 50% cut of that equity, and so on. In the end she took him for something like 30-40k, including legal costs. It was a really ugly situation.

Granted, that situation likely wouldn't have been much different were they married. But as a rule of thumb, don't fucking buy property jointly unless you're damned sure that you're together for life.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Omi43221

Trakanon Raider
There is legal recourse whether you're married or not, as long as you take the precautions to protect yourself in the beginning. If you let one person put everything in their name(or yours) and then get burned, the victim really only has themselves to blame at that point.

Just so we are clear if the house was financed in both their names there is absolutely nothing he can do to change that short of bankruptcy. He can give up all claim and ownership to the house and it will make no difference to the bank. Hopefully the evil bitch has a good job and she can refinance the house in her name only otherwise his name is stuck on the loans.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
And yet my join date is one day earlier than yours

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user