Marriage and the Power of Divorce

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Have they caught on to the separate living arrangements with you in the basement? What have you told them?
We haven't told them yet, but I'm sure they think it's odd that dad loves hanging out in the basement a lot recently.

My son thinks it's awesome that I can game really late and just crash down there. He wants to have sleepovers with me downstairs.

Yeeesh.

Funkor

Molten Core Raider
Wife and I are separating.

Past six months she's been distant. Avoiding. Short fused. Three weeks ago i got into it with her about it and she says she just doesn't see a future with us. She refused to make a decision about our relationship and withdrew even more. Tonight we agreed it's time for a break.

Time to figure out how this is going to work.
Sorry to hear it. This post of yours is my favorite, https://www.firesofheaven.org/posts/1278767/, I hope you two can work it out together.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Mini update - I did get her to agree to some couples counselling.

I wouldn't be able to walk away knowing we didn't try this first. We'll see.

So how does one find a good couple's counsellor?

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord

Ask other couples or sacrifice a moose and read its entrails.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>

Very glad to hear that she's willing to go to couples counseling. We're only getting your side, but to state the obvious, she seems overwhelmingly depressed. I'll shamelessly take a page out of my favorite Canadian's (Jordan Peterson) playbook and say that an anti-depressant and counseling seems like much better first steps than separation and inevitable divorce.

• 1Like

Ridas

Pay to play forum
We haven't told them yet, but I'm sure they think it's odd that dad loves hanging out in the basement a lot recently.

My son thinks it's awesome that I can game really late and just crash down there. He wants to have sleepovers with me downstairs.

Yeeesh.

tumblr_m8d0btYKM71rw5zalo1_500.gif

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I don't think the couple's counselling is going to happen. She's just completely not into anything involving fixing this.

I am utterly depressed today.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I've noticed lately that for the past few months my wife is only negative, never positive. If I say something that excites me or positive she always spins it negative.

The other day I was talking about selling my guitar for a new one and immediately she bursts into a tirade about how it's a stupid idea and we can't afford to keep spending money (no idea where she was getting at with this..). What really set me off though was I do our weekly grocery shopping by myself usually, but since my kid always wants to go I brought him with me - and to give her a break.

The kid had such a good time. I turned his car seat front facing and he couldn't wait to tell her about it. Also in the store he was chatting up the cashier and every time she bagged something he'd say 'thank you'. I thought it was a cute story. As soon as we walk in and he's screaming to tell her about the seat she's complaining about what I bought.

Just a miserable person lately so I've taken to ignoring her. Maybe that makes me a shitty person but she's draining the fun out of life.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I don't think the couple's counselling is going to happen. She's just completely not into anything involving fixing this.

I am utterly depressed today.
There's only so much you can do. You've made/are making an effort, but if she isn't even willing to try, at least you can take solace in the fact you did.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I've noticed lately that for the past few months my wife is only negative, never positive. If I say something that excites me or positive she always spins it negative.

The other day I was talking about selling my guitar for a new one and immediately she bursts into a tirade about how it's a stupid idea and we can't afford to keep spending money (no idea where she was getting at with this..). What really set me off though was I do our weekly grocery shopping by myself usually, but since my kid always wants to go I brought him with me - and to give her a break.

The kid had such a good time. I turned his car seat front facing and he couldn't wait to tell her about it. Also in the store he was chatting up the cashier and every time she bagged something he'd say 'thank you'. I thought it was a cute story. As soon as we walk in and he's screaming to tell her about the seat she's complaining about what I bought.

Just a miserable person lately so I've taken to ignoring her. Maybe that makes me a shitty person but she's draining the fun out of life.
Do you ever call her out for being negative?

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
I would opt to asking her what state of things would allow her to find more peace/happiness/enjoyment. Don't ask it in terms of what exactly you or her need to do, but more generally what the circumstance looks like where she believes she would be at her best. If she comes back with an I don't know or I'm not sure, then you let her know she has to think about it and to tell you when she even has a guess because you aren't a mind reader and can't develop that power. Just be there to be part of the solution but make her speak/share her choices and reality.

Arative

Vyemm Raider

How old is your new kid? Could be hormones messing with her moods. I read somewhere that it takes like a year to get back to being "normal" after pregnancy with women.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah and believe it or not it makes it worse

It doesn’t sound like she’s really rational about it. Just being negative. Has she ever been diagnosed clinically depressed? Hormones out of whack?

• 1Like