Marriage and the Power of Divorce

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Zaara Zaara

In my wife's case, she swore to everyone she didn't wanted to have a kid for the longest. We had a very bad patches in our marriage and one of them was this. I wanted to have kids and she didnt. After a while, she finally relented and got pregnant, and she changed 180 degrees.

She loves our daughter and I'm convinced your own brain changes with pregnancy. Changes in a way that is both undetectable and harmless.

It is not that you won't be able to travel the world. You just will not WANT to travel the world without your baby. So once you are there, how can you miss something you don't want anymore?

Things you wanted before, you will stop wanting them, and it will happen so naturally that is harmless.

I mean harmless, until you are bathing your kid and turn the hot water of the shower too fast and you realize its too hot and it will burn him, and you put your hand on the way and the water burns you until with your other hand you turn the water cold water on to equalize. And you will do this as the most natural thing in the world.

It is very hard to explain.

Have kids, it will be awesome.

Another thing. is The older you get the higher the risk for Autism is. We love to joke about autism, but having a child with autism is no laughing matter.
My daughter is autistic, we waited too long, who knows why, but there she is, 5 years old and doesn't make any full sentences. We are also waiting on our second kid, wife is 4 month pregnant and she is close to 38 years old. So here is to hoping that number two is more close to "normal"

So have kids now, for real. I think modern feminism has gotten this all wrong. Yes it is all fine and dandy and be independent as a women, but genetic disorders care none about your feelings of independence.

Last edited:

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Speak for yourself, if I could travel the world without my kids I'd 100% do it. When they gets jobs, then they can travel.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Having a kid doesn't stop you from doing the things you want to do. I don't know why people think you can't travel the world with children. My son is only 5 and he's already been to Japan, South Korea, Hawaii, Philippines.. in September I'm taking him to Italy and Spain... We go on road trips, the beach, camping. We still go out and have dinner with friends, go to bars, the movies. All with him in tow. It makes everything more fun since he's always so full of excitement and enthusiasm about what's going on. When I want him to chill out and leave me alone so I can have an adult conversation with someone I can just give him an ipad and he'll sit there staring at it for as long as I want him to. It does help that I hit the jackpot and got an awesome kid.

Having said all of this, if you don't want kids don't have kids. If nothing else they are expensive, plus there's already too many people on this planet.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
My daughter is 12, don't have kids. My daughter is awesome and we have a great time, don't have kids. My daughter is growing up to (hopefully) be a cool person, don't have kids.

People with kids will tell you/pressure you to have children like they will enrich your life and make everything awesome, no they are selfish monsters and you don't kill them because you love them. Took me months to really feel anything towards her, for the longest it was like I was just going through the motions. I would see other dads talking about how awesome their new born was, but I didn't get it, I just did right by her until I felt something. I didn't feel special, I felt tired and lonely for the first year you basically deal with your child in shifts and don't get quality time like you use to. I know I am not normal and I know I am still detached in the feelings department but I do my best and it is damned good if I do say so myself and a hell of a lot better then my parents.
Sure you can travel with a kid any time before they start school, then you have to plan around that. Want to move? That adds a level of complication, want to do anything off season...yeah no. Unless you are rich or home school you are stuck travelling with all the other parents, and the worst thing on vacation is other peoples kids...

Short version only have kids if you really want kids.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Zaara Zaara

In my wife's case, she swore to everyone she didn't wanted to have a kid for the longest. We had a very bad patches in our marriage and one of them was this. I wanted to have kids and she didnt. After a while, she finally relented and got pregnant, and she changed 180 degrees.

She loves our daughter and I'm convinced your own brain changes with pregnancy. Changes in a way that is both undetectable and harmless.

It is not that you won't be able to travel the world. You just will not WANT to travel the world without your baby. So once you are there, how can you miss something you don't want anymore?

Things you wanted before, you will stop wanting them, and it will happen so naturally that is harmless.

I mean harmless, until you are bathing your kid and turn the hot water of the shower too fast and you realize its too hot and it will burn him, and you put your hand on the way and the water burns you until with your other hand you turn the water cold water on to equalize. And you will do this as the most natural thing in the world.

It is very hard to explain.

Have kids, it will be awesome.

Another thing. is The older you get the higher the risk for Autism is. We love to joke about autism, but having a child with autism is no laughing matter.
My daughter is autistic, we waited too long, who knows why, but there she is, 5 years old and doesn't make any full sentences. We are also waiting on our second kid, wife is 4 month pregnant and she is close to 38 years old. So here is to hoping that number two is more close to "normal"

So have kids now, for real. I think modern feminism has gotten this all wrong. Yes it is all fine and dandy and be independent as a women, but genetic disorders care none about your feelings of independence.
Very strange advice .I'm not surprised

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
In all seriousness... this Jewish lawyer at my works tells me... “you are a successful man, kind hearted man , have many kids. Don’t let the poor people and those unfit to be parents outgrow you”, he has 4 kids by now.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
So we've hit a certain impasse in our relationship.

After a lot of consideration , I'm pretty sure I don't want to have any kids (think I wrote as much a while back.) In sum/short it is because I am an intensely selfish person, put a premium on my freedom to do what I like, and have a tendency to become resentful/pissy when I'm forced to do what I don't want to. I've been told your feelings change when it's your own Mini-Me, but I am almost certain I would be an impatient and easily-frustrated mother.

Admittedly, some of the reason I feel this way is due to the experiences I've had caring for/being around my family's children. I babysat my niece and nephew quite a lot when they were younger, the former of which has ADHD and anxiety that made him an absolute terror to my sister. Through school/medication/review he has begun to grow into a tremendously smart and fun kid, but I remember the years of pain he put my sister through.

For supplementary income during my job training this last two years, I also helped babysit my cousin's 4 kids. I don't enjoy it much at all. The moments where you can sit and play and enjoy a kid's company 1 on 1 is vastly outweighed by all the bullshit you have to put up with, the constant screaming and meltdowns and fights. Five children out of our generation (my cousins/their kids) have been diagnosed with ADHD. In conversation it occurred to me I've developed a very cynical and negative view of children. I don't buy the concept that babies are angels and inherently good. Far as I can see it their 'love' is the only currency they can barter with, and that's all a child is about: getting what they want through manipulation of their environment. We don't teach children to lie, it is one of the first things they figure out to do themselves. I was told this is a very unhealthy way to look at things, but in the end I'm becoming convinced that I'm not meant to be a mother. I read now about post-partum depression being accepted as 'just part of the motherhood experience' and I laugh. How many people had to sign away their autonomy, their careers, their freedom for the sake of becoming a 'good parent.' How many of them just said 'fuck it' and did it because that's what we're expected to do. Fuck, make more of us, then die. Being sold the 'joys of parenthood' by the companies that make billions off the mouths to feed and the shitty diapers that need to be swapped out.

So we've talked about it. Thing is, he tells me it's "okay" that I feel this way...and I'm not sure that it actually is. I've never actually met a man in a serious relationship (gay bros excluded) who was okay with the idea of never having children. When I was on the fence he would talk about having time, but not too much time, because neither of us want to be 40 when we're having a kid. Fair enough.

It's been a long road up. Life circumstances and jobs dictated we got by and had some money left over to burn, but barely. Now that we have both settled into careers for the long haul, ones that we are happy with, more of the world is starting to open up to us. Sucks that it all boils down to finance, but there's an incredible sense of relief and excitement in being able to start doing the things you really want to do in life. We talk about buying a house, a place of our own, and it's not just a pipe dream anymore. We'll be able to go away on vacations and see all the places we want to see. He'll be able to afford the bomb-ass fucking car he's always wanted. The home movie system and nice digs for a superlative Netflix and chill experience.

If I have a kid now or even three years down the line, it'll fuck it all up. We'd have to settle, sacrifice on the behalf of the child. I would drop out of my job for months, just when my career is still in its fledging stage. I wouldn't be able to come home from work at 10pm every day as I do now. There aren't many places in the country where the cost of living/real estate is higher relative to income. Instead of paying the mortgage for a good house out in the sticks with some land, we'll have to settle in some suburban postage-stamp shitbox, some 1600/mo cardboard box condo. Instead of his car, my husband can have pediatrician bills and diapers and food and school tuition and everything else. Instead of being able to go to the Smithsonian or hike in Maine or fly back to his home in Puerto Rico whenever the fuck we feel like, we can stay home and take care of the 3,860,560th baby born in the US that particular year. We can lie to ourselves about getting what we want after the kid's gone, when we're pushing 60 and busted ass for 18 years for the sake of hugs, kisses, and sometimes being told the person you made loves you. Of course they do. They have to.

Maybe I'll feel differently, somehow, but it weighs on my mind. I want to make him happy. Of course a man takes joy in his children. But all I can see is the negatives. One kind of happiness being traded for the idea of another happiness, because of biological imperative.

The odds are vastly in favor of you being happier with kids.

I'm sure you think your the exception.

But math says you prolly aren't.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I thought everyone exaggerated about their kid being little monsters who don't listen until I married my wife. Her son is great and I love him but holy shit is he a selfish little fuck at times.

My kids are insanely well behaved. I don't get it, and everyone thinks I'm full of shit until they are around them for extended periods of time. My son had a slip up while transitioning into his teen years but other than that, they've all been a damn treat.

Also if any part of you doesn't want to have kids then don't have kids. They deserve your full acceptance and wanting of them and its a huge gamble to take thinking that might change once you have them. Just get a dog and call it good.

Hosix

All labs matter!
I thought everyone exaggerated about their kid being little monsters who don't listen until I married my wife. Her son is great and I love him but holy shit is he a selfish little fuck at times.

My kids are insanely well behaved. I don't get it, and everyone thinks I'm full of shit until they are around them for extended periods of time. My son had a slip up while transitioning into his teen years but other than that, they've all been a damn treat.

Also if any part of you doesn't want to have kids then don't have kids. They deserve your full acceptance and wanting of them and its a huge gamble to take thinking that might change once you have them. Just get a dog and call it good.

Ya...well said. I love my kids more than anything. I wouldn’t trade them for any amount of money. But I refuse to raise anymore. It’s like restarting a prison sentence.

For me...I learned what real love is from them. It scares me that I will have a teen in 6 months.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It's a lot of responsibility but honestly as long as you put t some food on the floor and let them piss twice a day they're fine

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Not advocating having children if you don't want to but all the excitement for those things will decline as you get to do them (probably almost cruelly inline with your fertility). It's great to have nice shit and travel, but there's a hell of a lot more 60 somethings that won't shut up about their kids/grandkids rather than cars and travel and there's a reason for that.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Get diagnosed with a heritable genetic disorder and let the geneticist crush the ladyfriends hopes and dreams for you. Easy peasy.