Marriage and the Power of Divorce

RandAlThor420_sl

shitlord
OK ive read literally every page of this thread (as well as plenty of others) and I have even thought about posting before, but I think now is the time..

Lots I could say, but I think ill keep it brief. I have been dating a girl for about 2 1/2 years, and we lived together for 2 of them. The relationship has had highs and lows - this is the 2nd girl I have fallen in love with, and in many ways I felt like our relationship reached a level I had never gotten to with a girlfriend before - Ive done plenty of more casual things, usually bailing out before things got too serious.

Anywho, over the course of the relationship we had a variety of different issues, and truthfully I ignored some red flags. I was so excited about being in love again (7 years since the last time) that I was committed to making it work. I tried to learn from the bad and focus on the good, and for the most part I succeeded. I I don't regret our relationship, as there are many positive things that came out of it. However, I *do* regret my current living situation.

We broke up 2 weeks ago (there are PLENTY of details large and small, but the honest truth is that we simply arent compatible. We hold drastically different viewpoints on a few very important things, such as what is appropriate behavior in a relationship and how important honesty and communication are). Now, we are both staying together in MY house - I bought it (along with my dad, I didnt have the $$ on my own) a little over a year ago. She has been unemplyed for pretty much the past year and a half, going to school and living off of the loans. She has no money saved up, she JUST got a job (started about 2 days after we broke up - thank god this was in the works or it would be an even worse situation), she has just under a month of school left in the term, and she has 2 dogs. The "plan" as it has been established is that I am willing to let here stay here until her school term ends, but she needs to be out as soon as possible. There is a *chance* that I would extend the length of time if she hadnt found a place and things were peaceful enough for it to not be total shit having her here longer.

Sadly it hasnt been going smoothly. It has been tense, there is anger, there have been words, and really its just fucking an awful place to be right now. I tend to be a homebody, *especially* when dealing with something like this - I nurse my wounds at home and recuperate, unlike a guy like Onoes who would likely be out with friends/at the bars/high school parties/whatever while the storm passes (kidding Onoes!). I need my space, and yet every time I come home from work here she is!

Truthfully, I have taken my frustrations out on her. It hasnt helped the situation - I should honestly just be ignoring her, hardly talking, etc, and yet I have tried to *communicate* with her about things, which invariably leads us to a verbal abuse contest, possibly some yelling, anger, hurt feelings, all the good stuff. However, she is being pretty shitty. She has been seeing some fucking dude within a week or so of us breaking up *and lying to me about where she was going* (a big part of why we broke up - honesty issues) I shouldnt let that shit get to me but it enrages me.... She hasnt done a fucking dish in 2 weeks. Her dirty laundry is strewn about... she is treating me, and the house, with zero respect, as I try to give her time to figure her situation out...

I came home from work today and mentioned that a mutual friend has a room opening up in his/his gf's place. It would be the two of them, the chicks 5 year old son, their dog, my ex, and her 2 dogs. Its a place that allows pets (REALLY hard to find in the area we are in actually), with people she knows, that is available pretty much NOW, and she most likely wouldnt even need to pay a deposit. What a fucking find, eh? Her immediate response was "Im not living in a place with a kid".

ANGER MODE ACTIVATED!!! What the fuck?? She is acting like she is in no rush, and wants to find the "perfect" place. I told her (in the calmest way I could manage) that perhaps she needed to be more willing to find something less then ideal temporarily. OH NO. WRONG THING TO SAY. This led to quite a fight which included her telling me she hates me MANY times, throwing something at the sliding glass door, punching her computer desk hard enough to send a couple things flying, throwing some make up kit thing in the bathroom (and breaking it), etc. Then she left....

That was a few minutes ago.

Obviously people tend to give advise that favors their friend, so I take it with a grain of salt, but most of my friends are shocked that I am even letting her live her. They tell me I should pack her shit up, put it on the curb, and change the locks... I am not convinced that is the right call, but I DO wonder if there is some better way then what we are doing...

My best advice to myself is to just man the fuck up and stop letting my emotions rule me - if I dont let her get to me, then things wont deteriorate every time we talk. However, it hasnt worked so far...

Please advise

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Yep, I'd move all her shit out and expect her to lean on her friends/family for support -- not her ex-bf.

I'd also expect some petty retaliatory shit from her, by the way you've described her behavior. Like, throwing a brick through your window or something. I've let an ex stay with me for a bit while she figured out what to do next, but we got along decently enough. I absolutely can not fathom letting an ex-gf abuse me in my own home.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Your friends are right. It doesn't matter whose fault it is that you aren't able to be nice during the breakup. The fact is it's your house, and she isn't your wife. You owe her nothing at this point. While she's at school box her stuff up and put it on the lawn or in the driveway. Send her a text letting her know to rent a uhaul or something on the way back and advise she talk to her family and friends about what she will be doing for a place to live for the short term. Delete her from contacts and document things for the police in case she does go the bunny boiling route and you need to take her to court to recoup damages.

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
Be prepared to be arrested for rape. And or beating her.

And it is over, being "nice" just lets her get her hits in and or make a plan to seriously fuck you over. She is no longer your responsibility.

RandAlThor420_sl

shitlord
The last job that she had (quite a while ago) was at a courthouse, where she worked the front desk of the small claims court. As a result, she has seen a crap ton of cases involving evictions, and she LOVES to throw her knowledge of the situation at me. The laws give her the same rights that they would any other "tenant" - she has to be given 30 days notice, at which point if she doesn't leave I can begin the eviction process. I did give her a 30 day notice on paper about 10 days ago (as advised by a sheriff) to get the ball rolling just in case things didn't go smoothly on the back end. The 30 days are up june 11th, so legally I don't really have the grounds to boot her out before then. And truthfully, I just wouldnt. I would feel awful about putting her (and what about her dogs!??) in a total shit position. We are not meant to be together, and I have a lot of anger towards her for some things that have happened, but I am not perfect either, and I do still have feelings for her (which thankfully will slowly fade with time). I realize that many people would or could just boot her out, but that really isn't something that is likely to happen, so I am open to other ideas if you guys have any.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Well if she knows about the 30 days thing, you can't really do shit until the 11th. That being said,

And truthfully, I just wouldnt. I would feel awful about putting her (and what about her dogs!??) in a total shit position. We are not meant to be together, and I have a lot of anger towards her for some things that have happened, but I am not perfect either, and I do still have feelings for her (which thankfully will slowly fade with time). I realize that many people would or could just boot her out, but that really isn't something that is likely to happen, so I am open to other ideas if you guys have any.
Stop being such a fucking pussy. She's a crazy bitch who treats you like shit. I'm assuming you're no angel in this situation either, but it's your fucking house, not hers.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Be prepared to be arrested for rape. And or beating her.

And it is over, being "nice" just lets her get her hits in and or make a plan to seriously fuck you over. She is no longer your responsibility.
Yea, I'd honestly be worried about that. You don't need facts to gain traction in this day and age, only feels.

Kick her to the curb.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
The last job that she had (quite a while ago) was at a courthouse, where she worked the front desk of the small claims court. As a result, she has seen a crap ton of cases involving evictions, and she LOVES to throw her knowledge of the situation at me. The laws give her the same rights that they would any other "tenant" - she has to be given 30 days notice, at which point if she doesn't leave I can begin the eviction process. I did give her a 30 day notice on paper about 10 days ago (as advised by a sheriff) to get the ball rolling just in case things didn't go smoothly on the back end. The 30 days are up june 11th, so legally I don't really have the grounds to boot her out before then. And truthfully, I just wouldnt. I would feel awful about putting her (and what about her dogs!??) in a total shit position. We are not meant to be together, and I have a lot of anger towards her for some things that have happened, but I am not perfect either, and I do still have feelings for her (which thankfully will slowly fade with time). I realize that many people would or could just boot her out, but that really isn't something that is likely to happen, so I am open to other ideas if you guys have any.
She is absolutely correct. "Packing her shit and putting it outside" is going to end up with the cops at your house telling you to let her back inside and that you have to go through the eviction process.

I would absolutely keep your mouth shut, be as quiet as possible, hold in your emotions (as difficult as that is) and document any damages, threats of violence, blackmail, etc. All while waiting for the eviction process to play out.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Don't you need to have a lease agreement to be subject to eviction laws?
Not typically. You just have to be a "resident" of the property, which typically happens after 30 days or so. As long as she has proof of residency (bills, mail, etc), she has to be evicted.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Huh, well then I guess you follow that letter to the law and come 12:01am on day 30 you start moving her stuff outside.

It's your house and you're an adult. Sack up, shut up and don't take her bait on arguments. Honestly that'll piss her off even more than firing back at her.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Huh, well then I guess you follow that letter to the law and come 12:01am on day 30 you start moving her stuff outside.
It doesn't quite work that way either. Once the 30 days are past, then you can start the eviction process, which takes x amount of time depending on state. At that point, uniformed officers will show up, tell her she has X amount of time to gather an overnight bag, and that she has to leave the property. The landlord then has to give her a "reasonable" amount of time to collect her things (usually 30 days) before throwing them away, selling them, destroying them, putting them on the lawn, etc.

Cud

Lord Nagafen Raider
If she has ever been violent or suggested she would become violent. Look into an ex parte temporary protective order. They can be filed without a lawyer and would get her out if/when she gets served. The best part is she would not be able to communicate with you.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Ah, gotcha. Well then do what you gotta do but stop the back and forth with her. One way to circumvent the eviction thing was since she gets so angry she starts hitting shit, go spend a few hundred and get a restraining order. Problem solved.

Edit: Cud beat me to it.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Basically anyone who stays with you, assuming they have any kind of proof of residence, is considered to have a verbal lease with you, hence them being entitled to the 30 days notice.

RandAlThor420_sl

shitlord
Yeah actually I want aware of all the rights someone gets when staying at someone elses house, and I am sure it varies state by state, but apparantly sometimes after even 3 or 4 days someone can claim "tenancy" which then requires a lengthy process ( i think the absolute bare minimum process if they refuse to move takes roughly 45 days). IF my ex refused to move out I would be forced to go through about a 2 week process *after* her 30 days are up. Lame as hell, and hopefully it doesnt happen.

Truthfully as mentioned before I just need to nut up *and* shut up. Keep to myself, not take the bait, etc. Ride it out, hope that it ends peacefully - she *is* looking for a place, and honestly all the negativity is likely making her want to move quite a bit more, so at least there is some positive there.