Marvel Universe stuff

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I wonder what it means to stuff like Into the Spiderverse though, that was Sony but it clearly had tons of lifted chars from MCU too, didn't it? Or is everything Spidey related - Kingpin, Green Goblin, etc - all its own little slice that Sony can liberally use. no clue

all that side stuff is part of the Spider-Man package. it's why Sony was able to make that Tom Hardy Venom movie totally outside the MCU.

interesting that this now allows them to connect Venom and Spidey...

Rude

Potato del Grande
disney wanted to co-finance and get 50% of profits (a true partnership), Sony wanted to keep the current arrangement where Marvel has a heavy hand but Disney only gets 5% of the profits. Makes sense from Sony's side but it sucks as a fan, means no Spidey in any MCU movies and all the cool side MCU shit is probably gone from any more spidey movies.

I wonder what it means to stuff like Into the Spiderverse though, that was Sony but it clearly had tons of lifted chars from MCU too, didn't it? Or is everything Spidey related - Kingpin, Green Goblin, etc - all its own little slice that Sony can liberally use. no clue
Doesn't Disney own the Spiderman merchandise? Is that split with Sony?

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Doesn't Disney own the Spiderman merchandise? Is that split with Sony?
My completely-pulled-out-of-my-ass guess would be that merchandise tied to the movies would fall under the Sony deal (for something like superheroes, not including something like merchandise in movie rights seems like it would be an absurd oversight on Sony's part), while non-movie Spidey merch would belong to Disney/Marvel.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Any Marvel character that debuted in a Spiderman Comic is part of the rights package at Sony.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Bad move by Sony all around. They would have had more leverage if this had been done before the Fox deal. Marvel can just say fuck it and accelerate The X-Men or FF into the MCU and it'll be Spidey-who?

gauze

Molten Core Raider
It's going to be interesting if it sticks it out like this.. I feel we are gonna run into a James Gunn situation, but imaging the fallout if the split stands sounds horrible.

Holland is pretty much MCU to the core.. A new movie with him outside of the mcu is going to end up feeling like a reboot too hard to not notice. Like playing a game with missing textures lol. I also wonder how bad the box office number will be just from sheer salt. The ball is definitely in Disney's court, while Sony ego inflates. Buuut I feel for Sony too, because it probably comes off as that longcon takeover.

I feel like it'll hurt the mcu a little bit, but eventually it'll just be a butt end of a joke and they'll keep moving along like Edward Norton. I just wanna hear Tom Hollands opinion, but obv he can't speak out without trouble.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
5% first dollar gross might not be 5% is all they get, just that they start earning money on day 1 vs. when it turns a profit. However the structure likely meant that Disney's total stake was fairly low given that these movies do most of their business in the opening week(s).

It's hard to see how Sony and Marvel manage to come back to the table as each feels they have more to gain by parting ways. Ultimately, however, it's going to be a narrative issue as Marvel was throwing a lot of the lynchpin role for the MCU onto Spiderman following Endgame and that will now need to shift.

I expect Sony ultimately has more to lose out of this. After all the films I'm not really interested in Spidey's story as a standalone character.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
5% first dollar gross might not be 5% is all they get, just that they start earning money on day 1 vs. when it turns a profit. However the structure likely meant that Disney's total stake was fairly low given that these movies do most of their business in the opening week(s).

It's hard to see how Sony and Marvel manage to come back to the table as each feels they have more to gain by parting ways. Ultimately, however, it's going to be a narrative issue as Marvel was throwing a lot of the lynchpin role for the MCU onto Spiderman following Endgame and that will now need to shift.

I expect Sony ultimately has more to lose out of this. After all the films I'm not really interested in Spidey's story as a standalone character.

I am waiting for the Wolverine casting announcement now. Maybe at D23. Watch that suck all the air out of anything Spider-Man.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Spiderman global merch sales were $1.3B in 2014, presumably it has only grown since then especially given how popular the character is in Asia. Disney gets 100% of all the merch currently so they aren't hurting.

Anyone who thinks the negotiations issue is anything other than Disney being greedy jew fucks trying to strong-arm a much smaller studio hasn't been paying attention.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Sony made fairly crappy stand alone films. Cut Disney in for 50% of the film proceeds and cut Sony in for 50% of the merch. No one is happy but the fans then.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I have to think this is a bargaining tactic. If Sony truly thinks they suddenly have the ability to make these movies to the same level of quality and entertainment, but without ANY tie-in to the Avengers, Tony Stark, Happy, hell maybe even Suit Lady...they are fucking retarded. Like someone said, it will be like playing a game with the wrong textures or something. By pretty much every metric those Andrew Garfield movies sucked ass. And I doubt they've learned enough to make them 100% by themselves and still overcome the loss of all those major story tie-ins to the MCU.

Anyone who thinks the negotiations issue is anything other than Disney being greedy jew fucks trying to strong-arm a much smaller studio hasn't been paying attention.
While pretty much every studio is now "much smaller" than Disney, if you really think Sony is some helpless little Mom & Pop studio that is being driven out by Wal-Mart, then you might not really be Keg trying to be edgy with his new "I'm like Mario, but more gangsta" persona.

I understand both sides of the argument between Disney and Sony, but I have to think there is some compromise they can come to that isn't this complete disaster (my opinion anyway). I expect that we'll see something else come out soon about "renewed negotiations." At least, I hope that's the case.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
Best bet for Sony is to make some kind of spiderverse movie where in the end the MCU version of Spiderman ends up in the same universe as the current Venom.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Sony confirms everything.

This really does kneecap everything that's been done w/ Holland's version of Spider-Man. Now they get to write a followup to Far From Home without Happy Hogan, SHIELD, Fury, the Avengers, Tony/Iron Man references, etc. It's a soft reboot no matter how they go about it, wouldn't be surprised to see it unravel from there.

While very popular, he's replaceable in the MCU.

1566399846632.png

Yeah, I have to think this is a bargaining tactic. If Sony truly thinks they suddenly have the ability to make these movies to the same level of quality and entertainment, but without ANY tie-in to the Avengers, Tony Stark, Happy, hell maybe even Suit Lady...they are fucking retarded. Like someone said, it will be like playing a game with the wrong textures or something. By pretty much every metric those Andrew Garfield movies sucked ass. And I doubt they've learned enough to make them 100% by themselves and still overcome the loss of all those major story tie-ins to the MCU.

While pretty much every studio is now "much smaller" than Disney, if you really think Sony is some helpless little Mom & Pop studio that is being driven out by Wal-Mart, then you might not really be Keg trying to be edgy with his new "I'm like Mario, but more gangsta" persona.

I understand both sides of the argument between Disney and Sony, but I have to think there is some compromise they can come to that isn't this complete disaster (my opinion anyway). I expect that we'll see something else come out soon about "renewed negotiations." At least, I hope that's the case.
"Complete disaster"

If you're a grown man who is upset because a make believe super hero won't be included in a series of children's movies, chances are your life is a complete disaster.

• 2Like
  • 1Picard
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 4 users

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
"Complete disaster"

If you're a grown man who is upset because a make believe super hero won't be included in a series of children's movies, chances are your life is a complete disaster.
Wow, you're right. Let me rethink my whole life now. You have totally demolished my entire life view with your insight into my pathetic existence.

Welcome back for the short time before you get banned again Keg! Was a big fan, up until the whole turning into a little bitch over something that happened on an online forum. Talk about someone that needs to re-evaluate their life.

And on the off chance you aren't Keg, you're still someone that got banned/took a break because they took something on the forum way too seriously. And still couldn't resist coming back despite being probably universally despised here. Not to mention, Mario does this schtick way better than you do. But at least you tried!

• 2Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
this is how i see this.
JointFavorableDeermouse-size_restricted.gif

these fucks dont give a shit about the fans or even their own products and employees.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users