Marvel Universe stuff

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Rewatching Infinity War / Endgame. Fuck these are just so god damn good. It's almost unbelievable how good they came out. FUCK.

• 4Solidarity
  • 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 7 users

fris

Vyemm Raider
Rewatching Infinity War / Endgame. Fuck these are just so god damn good. It's almost unbelievable how good they came out. FUCK.

couldn't agree more. i would go further that rewatching almost the entire 'set' of movies (skipped what I can't get via netflix/disney+ and CM), there's just so much tied in. so many statements from Cap and IM that are refrenced in the final 2 Avengers. rewatching it all, while I would love to see more Cap and IM, their farewells was just so well done that bringing them back just wouldn't feel right. maybe come cameos or life model decoys.

spronk

FPS noob
yeah whatever fuckery happens now with the MCU, and its inevitable it'll crumble and turn to shit, the 22 movie run from Iron Man 1 to Avengers EndGame is an incredible achievement.

The next Voyager space probe should have all the MCU movies etched on a gold bluray disc to let aliens know of humanity's mighty works.

It'll be interesting to see in 10 or 20 years how Mad Max Fury Road, Blade Runner 2049, John Wick, Logan, Infinity War, etc fit into the movie GOAT lists like Godfather, Goodfellas, Empire Strikes Back, Raiders, etc.

• 4Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
not sure where this belongs, but when i was a kid i read Spiderman , Captain America and Hulk comic books. they had a lot of interesting ads in them. i spent more time looking at those ads than i did reading the comic. i would dream about getitng some of that stuff.
this is the stuff you actually got.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
not sure where this belongs, but when i was a kid i read Spiderman , Captain America and Hulk comic books. they had a lot of interesting ads in them. i spent more time looking at those ads than i did reading the comic. i would dream about getitng some of that stuff.
this is the stuff you actually got.
I so remember those sub ads. Them and the x-ray vision glasses ads.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser

It'll be interesting to see in 10 or 20 years how Mad Max Fury Road, Blade Runner 2049, John Wick, Logan, Infinity War, etc fit into the movie GOAT lists like Godfather, Goodfellas, Empire Strikes Back, Raiders, etc.

Jesus Christ, you've actually managed to surpass your entire history of nonsensical statements in one swoop, kudos

John Wick mentioned in the same breath as Godfather, you should never set foot in the movies forum again

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Jesus Christ, you've actually managed to surpass your entire history of nonsensical statements in one swoop, kudos

John Wick mentioned in the same breath as Godfather, you should never set foot in the movies forum again

I don't know man, let's consider it. At some point are the "greats" still great? I've seen Godfather, yes, I really enjoyed it. Do I have any desire to watch it again? Nope. I think the original Rocky is one of the best movies ever made, but it's something I'll watch if it's on some channel (well, I don't even get "channels" anymore), but haven't sat down to watch it in a decade. But I could watch Infinity War / Endgame almost every day for the rest of my life. At what point do we say that Sgt Pepper isn't the most innovative album in the history of music?

Just playing devils advocate!

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I don't know man, let's consider it. At some point are the "greats" still great? I've seen Godfather, yes, I really enjoyed it. Do I have any desire to watch it again? Nope. I think the original Rocky is one of the best movies ever made, but it's something I'll watch if it's on some channel (well, I don't even get "channels" anymore), but haven't sat down to watch it in a decade. But I could watch Infinity War / Endgame almost every day for the rest of my life. At what point do we say that Sgt Pepper isn't the most innovative album in the history of music?

The MCU and the concluding films are absolutely fantastic achievements, I still wouldn't put them up with the Godfather.

Before season 8, I re watched all the seasons of Game of Thrones multiple times. I've only watched The Wire once, but I still think The Wire is the best tv series ever - because it works on multiple levels. It's not just about making something with an entertaining storyline, but something that works on multiple levels a la The Godfather.

I mean, just the acting alone elevates it to levels above John Wick

The fact that the autist spronk spronk frequently tells us how he goes to see the same film in different cinemas yet clearly doesn't understand the first thing about "cinema" just buries him even further.

The irony is, if you were going to attempt to put a comic book film in an "all time greats" list - the most obvious example would surely be The Dark Knight (not saying it deserves to be next to The Godfather, but it's certainly the best example of a comic book film - with exceptional acting, and the passing of Heath Ledger gives it something "extra)

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
yeah whatever fuckery happens now with the MCU, and its inevitable it'll crumble and turn to shit, the 22 movie run from Iron Man 1 to Avengers EndGame is an incredible achievement.

The next Voyager space probe should have all the MCU movies etched on a gold bluray disc to let aliens know of humanity's mighty works.

I haven't seen the gangster movies, so I'll keep the comparison to nerd culture stuff.

Blade Runner 2049 was shit but pretentious cunts will rave about it and hopefully it inspires the setting of a better movie.

Logan is too boring to be remembered, Deadpool stole it's thunder as an R rated X Men spinoff.

Avengers will fit in the Empire/Raiders tier for sure. Which franchise is best depends on how much the sequels taint them, Star Wars is already ruined, Indiana Jones you can ignore the 4th one but it'll be ruined if the 5th one kills him or gives him a Mary Sue daughter, MCU has to survive the SJW heroes being included.

Fury Road maybe, but it lacks a story to follow into other movies given that the other Mad Max Movies were decades before with a different actor.

John Wick I need to watch.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

Dont watch the movie version of Sgt Pepper. although the BeeGees did the best they could with what they had. the Sgt Pep album was innovative for a lot of reasons and will likely remain so for the next several decades. Music is just the same recycled shit youve been hearing for the last 20 years. all the same effects and recording styles. they were doing crazy shit in the 60s and 70s. more effort then they put in now.

and yes the original Rocky is an amazing film.

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
For "music greats", as much as people hate on them, you need to look at 'The Beach Boys'. Brian Wilson went crazy while composing 'Good Vibrations' and other songs on the 'Pet Sounds' album because he kept hating how it was turning out and he wanted something that could beat 'The Beatles'. That song crushed in the Charts, and the album went on to sell ridiculous numbers.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Part of the GOAT comparison with movies is context. Its hard for some 20 or 30 something to look at Casablanca and see it with the backdrop of WW2. Casablanca is brilliant. Godfather (1 and 2 are arguably equally stellar) also has the issue to a degree. Goodfellas is a similar take but the time frame is more modern. Again its brilliant. Saving Private Ryan , while a period piece, was shot relatively recently and benefits from more modern filmmaking.

The Marvel movies are feel-good movies. Its one reason they are so easily rewatchable and it helps that they are also really good films. Most people grew up with comic books and thus have instant context when watching them.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Very well put together pop corn flicks with the depth of a kiddie pool.
right, they were good because they followed the comic book storylines which were well written for comic books. its literally escapist entertainment. Star Wars, same thing. i never fooled myself into thinking it was superbly written drama. i also knew they borrowed heavily from Flash Gordon, thanks PBS. but thats not to say it doesnt have its place. its no Grapes of Wrath, but it s fun. fun is fun.

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
It really tugged at the heart strings when Thanos threw Gamora off of the cliff. /sadface

• 1Like

Fadaar

That guy
Part of the GOAT comparison with movies is context. Its hard for some 20 or 30 something to look at Casablanca and see it with the backdrop of WW2. Casablanca is brilliant. Godfather (1 and 2 are arguably equally stellar) also has the issue to a degree. Goodfellas is a similar take but the time frame is more modern. Again its brilliant. Saving Private Ryan , while a period piece, was shot relatively recently and benefits from more modern filmmaking.

The Marvel movies are feel-good movies. Its one reason they are so easily rewatchable and it helps that they are also really good films. Most people grew up with comic books and thus have instant context when watching them.

Casablanca is one of the few 'older' (ie black and white era) movies I truly truly enjoyed. Citizen Kane I found boring and lost interest pretty quickly, but Casablanca is a great film that isn't buried up its own ass or subject to snobbish levels of study and interpretation.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Casablanca is one of the few 'older' (ie black and white era) movies I truly truly enjoyed. Citizen Kane I found boring and lost interest pretty quickly, but Casablanca is a great film that isn't buried up its own ass or subject to snobbish levels of study and interpretation.
I grew up watching the older black and white movies with my grandfather. There are a handful that hold their own even today. Bogart has a couple of them. Aside from Casablanca there is Maltese Falcon and Treasure of Siera Madre. Twelve angry men and Doctor Strangelove are also top shelf.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users