Mass Effect 4(Untitled)

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Like Bioware put that much thought into the ending.
Yea, why my original post was just "its only one of four possible endings anyhow" - but even if they'd pick it, not a slam dunk he'd live to me because of the tech issues.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
And although ME1 was quite empty on the worlds - it was an "open world".

If this goes back to ME1 style "open world" with less emptiness and a Mako that actually can navigate properly, it could be a really good thing. (And no guns on the Mako this time so all combat will no doubt be balanced for on foot)
huh? ME1 didnt have open world gameplay(driving the mako around barren procedurally generated terrain isnt open world). Im not saying ME should be exactly like Skyrim or GTA, it just needs to get away from cramped corridor followed by cramped corridor that has a path of chest high walls going down the center.

Vaclav

That's why I used the quotes. It was open worldish. Hopefully indicates less corridor play.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Even if it does mean he did and keep in mind how bad he sounds and all tech on the planet is completely fucked in that ending - so presumably that includes medical tech - and included being ejected forcefully from the Citadel there somehow - yea, Shep's a badass but he's survived thanks to tech before including some that was required to keep him alive after the intro to 2 - and with no tech working, that seems like just the last few breaths off of life support to me, its one of 4 options to potentially be canon whenever they'd go past it in the timeline.

Again, just my own feelings - I've stopped quoting family. (Not that any are currently involved with the PC gaming industry - last was with Asheron's Call - which was a decade ago now, right?)
It's open to the viewer's interpretation. Yours died cause you don't have the willpower for Cmdr. Shep to live. Personally I reiimagined the entire ME3 game and it's a fantastic ending the franchise.

spronk

FPS noob
i woulda enjoyed playing a 100k years ago prequel where you play a prothean, first one discovers reapers second one fights third one flees to a parallel universe/galaxy/timeline/whatever, but i could see how having 0 humans in a game might be a problem for a big budget game

playing in a game where you are some derpy grunt doing what you think is super important while the news talks about some dude named shepherd who is saving the galaxy from reapers sounds pretty gay. or maybe they are going for a comedic version of mass effect, where its 100% all shit ass side quests you do in the mass effect universe, like finding out who stole annie's teddy bear or if the volm food service worker is spitting in the batarian food supply

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
I want to be a spaceman who is in space and explores space and also shoots guns and has some sexy time with blue girls well thats my mass effect sequel idea see ya

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
i woulda enjoyed playing a 100k years ago prequel where you play a prothean, first one discovers reapers second one fights third one flees to a parallel universe/galaxy/timeline/whatever, but i could see how having 0 humans in a game might be a problem for a big budget game

playing in a game where you are some derpy grunt doing what you think is super important while the news talks about some dude named shepherd who is saving the galaxy from reapers sounds pretty gay. or maybe they are going for a comedic version of mass effect, where its 100% all shit ass side quests you do in the mass effect universe, like finding out who stole annie's teddy bear or if the volm food service worker is spitting in the batarian food supply
They just need to recolor Asari and we are good to go.

Vaclav

It's open to the viewer's interpretation. Yours died cause you don't have the willpower for Cmdr. Shep to live. Personally I reiimagined the entire ME3 game and it's a fantastic ending the franchise.
I will admit probably their whole comments beforehand of "This has always been planned to END the story of Shepard" or whatever did give me a solid bias on his survival in the ending as well. Sure, end of the story doesn't necessarily mean he's dead - but if we're never playing him/her again - it's rather moot anyhow.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Maybe in the new game we find out about the super secret backup plan where they made a billion clones of Shepard to fight the Reapers.

Vaclav

Maybe in the new game we find out about the super secret backup plan where they made a billion clones of Shepard to fight the Reapers.
Not impossible I guess, now that the wife is playing through The Citadel (I'd not gotten the DLC before, been too busy) and there's LITERALLY a Shep-clone as part of the story in The Citadel.

Vaclav

I realize Mist was making a jest - but a third clone doesn't sound impossible if they really wanted to force Shep into more even if he is as bad off as I took it in the Destroy ending. =p

Yes, they wouldn't do a Shep-clone army though. Didn't mean that. Just seeing another avenue that the "Shep lives" people could be right. Devil's advocate for an argument I don't think is right, but we might eventually see an answer to.

khorum

Murder Apologist
They could have the whole single-player game built upon the foundations of the ME3 coop multiplayer game... you pick an origin (asari vanguard, krogen soldier, salarian engy etc) and your origin story/gearing/questing progresses as a chain of coop gates. You could grind out gear/rep/exp matchmaking as an assist on other folks' missions etc. They could easily write the entire narrative around that sort of progression since they never really cared about player choice anyway.

ValkyrieIATD

Silver Knight of the Realm
Best of luck to them, but Mass Effect is dead to me. Hundreds of hours invested, characters I loved, and lore I explored in a way I hadn't since EQ, only to get shit on by an ending that implied nearly the entire galaxy was going to die a slow and miserable death in utter isolation.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Yeah that ending was never going to be satisfactory since it didn't resolve the things that players were actually invested in: their characters and outcomes of their decisions over the last three games.

Oddly enough the Citadel DLC actually did a way better job as an ending than the improved extended ending DLC did--if only because the new ending only extended a non-ending in the first place. The Citadel DLC should've shipped with the game--it actually did a good-faith effort at closure on decisions on many of the relationships you made all the way back to the ME1 save file. Little hints about what happened to the Rachni queen (beyond the half-assed non-resolution you were given in-game), more cool shit about Legion etc.

Hell they could've expanded the Citadel by a couple hours and then provided still screens of the Reapers falling dead to the common cold and they would've had fewer complaints about that ending.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The part that really gets me about the ending is the whole "there's no final boss because that would be too video gamey" part.

Fucking assholes. It's a god damn video game, don't fuck around with people's expectations like that. Even Bioshock Infinite had a final encounter despite Ken Levine being kind of an artsy-fartsy prick about his own game.