Mass effect Remastered - Legendary Edition - 2021

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
until you get sync killed by a Banshee 10 feet away from you
Guess I just got lucky? I never had an issue avoiding them. Was that more of an issue in the original releases and fixed in the legendary edition?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Guess I just got lucky? I never had an issue avoiding them. Was that more of an issue in the original releases and fixed in the legendary edition?
I guess technically the answer to that question is yes? It was a multiplayer thing, I don't know if sync kills even exist(ed) in single player.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Literally anything can be improved by adding a Chris Tucker/Jackie Chan bickering scene

Sure, including that retarded sky-car chase! Unfortunately, they weren't in Mass Effect.

I didn't say the bickering in Rush Hour sucked. Just like I be didn't say the entire Shadow Broker DLC sucked. Do everyone got long Covid now?

No love for pod racing, then? There's that, at least.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Picked this up when it was on sale and played through all three as a vanguard on Insanity. Honestly, the only real hard part was ME2 in the collector ship where you fight Harbinger on the fucking platforms. If you can beat that fight, nothing in ME3 is going to stop you.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind doing a Vanguard insanity playthrough of all 3 to plat them. Vanguard is so much fun.

Still want to try Adept though, is there any one particular game where Adept excels?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I fucking love pod racing. Who wants to fight me about it?!?

• 2Faggotry
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I'm confused... Where did I address the entire DLC at all?

The sky car chase was pointless and lame. The dialog was cringe. If it wasn't you'd perhaps explain why you disagree instead of some non-sequitor about the entire DLC.

I don't like the NFL catch rules changes. Yah but the NFL is the most watched sport!

Like, huh?
Moments of levity are needed to prevent the game from being full on emo doomer. The car banter (especially if you were romancing Liara at the time) was one of them.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah, I wouldn't mind doing a Vanguard insanity playthrough of all 3 to plat them. Vanguard is so much fun.

Still want to try Adept though, is there any one particular game where Adept excels?
Adept is workable in all three, but really gains momentum in the last two where explosions become the key to victory. Your allies are morons, but if you go CC focus early and switch to full on big booms later, you will tear through the game. The Kai-Leng fight and the multiple shadow fights in the citidel can be a huge pain in the ass, though.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
They definately adjusted that shit a lot (mostly due to complaints in MP actually) because in the original the Brutes and Banshees would inspector gadget arm you through walls and shit. This is also why I recommend people pick up Flare or another good explosion combo as a backup. Having a Harrier setup and an ally who can strip shields works in a pinch, too.

You can usually get away with one jump at a Brute or Banshee, especially if its to set off an explosion. But if you get stunned or staggered at all, they will gib you. In the original run it was much more frequent as I recall, but when I replayed as vanguard I did not take many chances with it.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Moments of levity are needed to prevent the game from being full on emo doomer. The car banter (especially if you were romancing Liara at the time) was one of them.

The Mass Effect world is full of moments of levity that were well written and felt natural for the scenes. That's one of the things that make the world an IP so beloved.

The bickering in the sky-car, in the middle of chasing the attempted assassin of a main character and potential long lost love interest... It was just bad writing and poor game design.

Maybe I need to play through it under multiple scenarios. Is the dialog maybe different paragon vs renegade? Different if you aren't romancing Liara?

Speaking of, it feels like you were romancing her.... but outside of the picture in your quarters and a painfully awkward kiss with little excitement, it doesn't feel like they ever romanced in ME1. Liara is some kind of new information broker, but had only heard rumors Shep was alive after recruiting half the fucking galaxy and painstakingly scanning half the fucking galaxy for would have been months at least. Finally find your lost love (and for my paragon femshep it was real to her, damn it). And it's super awkward: go break the law for me, great here's some credits!

The sky car, ignoring how fucking dumb the name is, was especially bad for a character romancing my lesbian paragon femshep who probably actually loved Liara and wasn't just hooking up.

It was shit writing, that felt at the service of trying to force in a game mechanic that wasn't needed. And less for the sake of levity, which the game has plenty, rather than the dumb push at the time to make everything feel like an epic JJ Abrams fast and furious in space that plagued the era.

Feel free to like things that are objectively bad, or just say they didn't bother you as much. That's great, we've all done that. But I don't see the point in defending what is such a glaring low point for the series, and at that point was a huge red flag Bioware had the potential to shit the bed with poor writing and design decisions in the future, which it did.

Imagine the production meeting: this is an amazing DLC, maybe the best.... Buuuut can't we work in some levity to shit on what should be an intense and frenetic story. Aaaaannnd with sky car mechanics we don't really utilize much, but already wasted time on.... With a car chase in space!!! With a ton of thoooopper fuuuuuunnn bickering between the characters.

Someone should have said no. But the problem with Bioware is they seemed to have lost the ability to say no to dumb shit (and dumb shits) that overrun the company.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The one time you get off the fence and have a strong opinion you're ready to defend. Hell of a long-con troll. Well played.
If they made a driving simulator game built around Mako and Pod Racer physics it would be game of the decade.

• 1Faggotry
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Someone should have said no. But the problem with Bioware is they seemed to have lost the ability to say no to dumb shit (and dumb shits) that overrun the company.
Biggest reason I probably won't ever replay ME is because I'd feel compelled to deal with the squad mate drama again. It felt like taking high school drama problems and applying them to a crack team of galaxy saving soldiers. And the romance in ME never paid off because you never got to hatefuck anything. All I really ever wanted was a cougar romp with Dr. Chakwas and a violently abusive and unhealthy relationship with Jack.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Biggest reason I probably won't ever replay ME is because I'd feel compelled to deal with the squad mate drama again. It felt like taking high school drama problems and applying them to a crack team of galaxy saving soldiers. And the romance in ME never paid off because you never got to hatefuck anything. All I really ever wanted was a cougar romp with Dr. Chakwas and a violently abusive and unhealthy relationship with Jack.

All those characters and side stories are why many people seem to think ME2 was the best of the series!

The way I look at it, the reason the characters all have a third of the talents in ME2 is they wanted to add three times the characters. Someone had the sense to point out it would add a lot of redundancy. Solution: neuter the skill and combat system so we don't have to sacrifice everyone's pet project side characters!

ME1 romance seemed at the service of the main story and in context of the game. I mean, everyone just bangs Liara of course, but it all made sense. Not too distracting, not too indulgent, with some options to be a dick or just skip it all together.

ME2 is just bad game design, especially on a critical suicidal mission to save humanity and of course the sexretary and black dude are instantly flirting with their commander. And everyone needs an insignificant favor before, uhh, what was the actual plot or story again? Nevermind the mission, Jacob and Miranda and Jack and Grunt all have daddy issues they need to resolve!

Because you know how it works... Your commander gives an order to use your fucking barrier but you refuse the order because you just don't feel loyal enough without knowing yo daddy turned into a pimp. Totally makes sense!

Trying hard to make it to ME3 and Andromeda to share my very important opinions on them as well.

So far, ME1 legendary remaster 9.5/10. ME2 I'm only halfway through playing space Sims with all the criminals my paragon femshep is being forced to work with and for, but it's a solid 3/57(genders).

• 1Picard
  • 1Worf

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The biggest flaw of ME2 is how much of the game is spent on recruitment and loyalty missions. And it's a pretty damn big flaw, people were just so happy for the improved gameplay over 1 that they looked past it.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I'm not seeing improved gameplay. Every fight there is some point I'm in cover that doesn't let me aim or shoot, and often when I aim out of cover I'm nowhere near where I was looking/targeting while in cover. ME1 wasn't stellar, but in the legendary version at least I rarely had these issues.

But that's why there are powers and abilities! Yeah, but the reduction in abilities and global cool down means every fight starts to feel repetitive.

That's fine, it's more of a shooter! But it isn't polished as a shooter, back to janky cover mechanics and aiming. Oh, and aim assist on console sucks; look at an explosive item, aim, pointing at some dude 10 feet away.

Then ammo management becomes a thing and I personally think it's a bad mechanic, but FPS fans may like it. But the weird thing is then people argue it's because Bioware wanted to emphasize the importance of using powers, but then we're back to them "streamlining" the powers to add in more characters and it being repetitive.

Edit: and my game got bugged and zero so is dropping on the Liara mission. Am literally at the hotel with no ammo. Apparently an old bug never fixed

It's a weird, endless circular argument because the game just has an identity crisis and made a lot of glaring design and writing mistakes.

Aside from graphics, the side quest character stuff is the best ME2 has to offer, and some of it is interesting and fun and well done, but ultimately detached from what little plot there is so feels hollow for anyone that wanted more than alien fucking space Sims.

The thing fascinating me is being meh on ME2 and reading up on it... and seeing a ton of people vehemently defending ME2 as the best in all ways in the series and even one of the best games ever made. And they bolster their argument by claiming the weakest aspects in design, writing and shooter mechanics are what make it great instead of just admitting they'd love for an alien ME version of Second Life or whatever.

It was an average, forgettable game that I barely remembered, and that was okay, it happens. I've probably read more about ME2 at this point than actually played, and it's a fucking mind bender and more entertaining than the actual game reading the apparent controversy over whether it's the best game in the series, or perhaps of all time!

A lot of very retarded people have very strong feelings about Mass Effect, so it's no surprise the direction the IP has gone. Is it like the official grrl gamer and gaymer IP or some shit? How did it come to this?

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
You aren't playing the original version of ME 1. I'm not saying the gameplay of 2 isn't still rather rough, but there's zero question that it was smoother than the original version of 1.

Sure, I've been open about conceding that point.

They did a remaster of the trilogy, then didn't fix much in 2 because they, what, thought it was perfect? Just fine enough?

I always thought 1 was better for the story and writing even if the combat was at times lacking. I personally liked the combat because the cover mechanics were what was lacking, but you could play fine upright without constantly squatting behind the endless waist high cover that plagues 2. It felt fast enough to run behind cover and slide out to fire without being glued to anything.

Legendary cleaned up a lot of the annoyances and tweaked some of the jankiness. It's now almost perfect.

While 2 is what, used to be better than 1 because 1 was sometimes jankier in specific ways?

Even ignoring everything and just focusing on game play mechanics, 1 was improved and 2 feels like shit in comparison. Sluggish and constantly a fight against the mechanics. 1 has balance issues still that they should have fixed, but was a joy to replay and never felt like a fight against the basic mechanics.

Them not making improvements to 2 that are seriously in needed means they thought it was already great, or were just too lazy. Either way, it bolsters my opinion ME1 was a one hit wonder and Mass Effect is overhyped as an IP. Or possibly just suffered from a hostile takeover and ME1 is the outlier original, as can happen.

Either way, now, playing through Legendary, ME2 is just not a good game. My feeling is it never was, but it's glaring now that 1 got some love and ironing out.

• 1Edgelord
  • 1Pathetic