Might & Magic X: Legacy

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
29-33 is a tier 5 (max) sword. 16-32 is a tier 3 spear. Tier 5 spear is 32-64, and it ignores 50% of armor and does extra damage to 'large' bosses. My barbarian regularly hits for 600+ per attack, and with GM 2H the attacks are unblockable.

FYI the best weapons in the game are anything tier 5 "of relentlessness". Doesn't even matter if they're green and have no prefix. Relentlessness doubles up on the GM bonus, while stuff like elemental damage is a trivial boost by the end of the game. Even relics with +6 to the weapon skill can't compete with a full extra attack.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
It's all about the expert/master/GM skill bonuses

Daggers get an extra attack at both expert and GM
Swords get an extra attack at master
I don't think spears or maces ever get an extra attack at all. That's huge right there, those extra attacks are extra chances to apply bonus damage, both from the weapon and various armor pieces.

By the end of the game, my ranger was using the 2 relic 1h swords, for a total of 4 attacks, and then also was wearing 3 different pieces of armor that each added 13-14 bonus damage on hit. When he connected on all the hits it was a RIDICULOUS amount of combat floating text damage just flying all over the screen. Way, way more damage than my barbarian with a GM'd 2H mace, that's for sure.

Crits were better on the Barbarian with a 2H mace, since the added/elemental damage of a weapon doesnt crit, just the base damage, but regular attacks were much, much better on the dual-wielder.

Crone

I'd go with:
GM - Air, Dark, Magic Focus
Expert - Prime, Mysticism

Rest in whatever. Arcane Disc. if you give him the Jade Coif, Endurance if you feel you need the hp, or continue on with Mysticism. You can get the first two to Expert at level 31, but you can't get Mysticism to Master unless you manage to hit 32 which is tough to do.

Water sucks when limited to master tier only.
Thanks for this. I'm not that far into any of the schools to not change it around a bit.

Vorph

It's all about the expert/master/GM skill bonuses

Daggers get an extra attack at both expert and GM
Swords get an extra attack at master
I don't think spears or maces ever get an extra attack at all. That's huge right there, those extra attacks are extra chances to apply bonus damage, both from the weapon and various armor pieces.

By the end of the game, my ranger was using the 2 relic 1h swords, for a total of 4 attacks, and then also was wearing 3 different pieces of armor that each added 13-14 bonus damage on hit. When he connected on all the hits it was a RIDICULOUS amount of combat floating text damage just flying all over the screen. Way, way more damage than my barbarian with a GM'd 2H mace, that's for sure.

Crits were better on the Barbarian with a 2H mace, since the added/elemental damage of a weapon doesnt crit, just the base damage, but regular attacks were much, much better on the dual-wielder.
Sword is only 4 attacks if you crit--because of that you should stop might around 50 and pump destiny as high as you can.

Elemental damage just isn't impressive at all by the latter third of the game. It's all about the +weaponskill items, because each point gives you +8% raw damage to the physical part of your attack, which is what really matters. Both my melees have 45+ in their respective weapons.

Generally speaking, my spear barbarian hits for 300 twice (relentlessness), more against large monsters, and much more if it crits--but low destiny (probably a mistake on my part) there so that doesn't happen too often. Barb also applies sunder to set up the blademaster for the kill. My blademaster hits for ~200x6 (DW relentlessness), since a crit in there somewhere is practically guaranteed with 25+% crit from destiny. Then because I used a blademaster instead of a ranger, the first attack will usually kill something and that effectively gives her two full attacks per turn.

To say that it's overkill for what you need to beat the game would be a huge understatement.
biggrin.png

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Ok, that all makes sense. And while I realize extra elemental damage isn't a big deal later on, would a tier 5 "Seismic" spear get 17-23 bonus earth damage too? Is it the tier of the weapon that affects that? Or is it just a probable mistake somewhere in the weapon algorithms that swords have an inordinately high elemental bonus?

And thanks for the tip on relentlessness. I saw those and immediately realized how useful that could be, but I've never seen one I could afford at the time I saw it.

Also, is lifetap any good? Or is that just a waste since relentlessness could go there?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Lifetap is nice but there's what is it, gloves or chest, that gives like a pretty good %, vampiric something. That said if you have a GM water/earth in your group, healing is more or less useless. Only thing that "hurts" are spells and regen or nurture covers that easily. Relentlessness definitely better.

Elemental mods are really good for daggers due to the many hits and the low base damage but yeah on other weapons +4-6swords is going to be better than whatever elem mod you find. Part of it due to resistances. Can do the math which turns out better on a case by case basis though, and like a crappy +2 or +3 sword will be worse than a top roll elemental(unless it's dark which tends to suck on so many things and at best does listed dmg other than the 3 and a half light elementals in the game).

That said as pointed out previously, there's clearly never a need to optimize DPS that much, ever. It might be useful to optimize if you play say, no healer style, but if you run a druid healer with liquid membrane, you could use 3 freemages autoattacking with the starting weapons and no skill assigned and beat the game anyway since you cannot die anyway, so all optimizing does is saves you 5-15seconds per fight or whatever.

Vorph

That said as pointed out previously, there's clearly never a need to optimize DPS that much, ever. It might be useful to optimize if you play say, no healer style, but if you run a druid healer with liquid membrane, you could use 3 freemages autoattacking with the starting weapons and no skill assigned and beat the game anyway since you cannot die anyway, so all optimizing does is saves you 5-15seconds per fight or whatever.
I actually just broke the game by optimizing my DPS to that extent.
biggrin.png

Erebos put himself within melee range after I picked up the first sigil fragment, and so I went ahead and one-rounded his ass before he could heal. Spear/Sunder, DW swords for about 75% of his health, then a firebolt and an acid spray killed him.

Oops.

Finished the game at L34 on my blademaster due to getting the vast majority of killshots and L33 on the rest. But as far as being able to train ranks goes, I was only L31 before entering the final sequence and didn't hit 34 until after turning in the dumb book quest postgame. Good thing that relic sucks...

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah Vorph you can actually do that easily with casters if they crit with GM focus. It's quite a bit stupid imo and ruins the last sequence which is otherwise fairly interesting. That said if you have an optimized group it's not challenging anyway so not a big deal to skip it. The game is really not balanced for optimization, it's balanced to do it with the shit group you get when you don't make your team or an equally shitty group. My original group was like that, not very optimized at all, not very good damage so it turned out fairly decent in terms of difficulty but otherwise it's very meh.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Didn't someone earlier in this thread talk about having daggers with the modification of +1 attack on the actual item itself? I never saw any weapon with that mod in the entire game.

Vorph

Suffix "of relentlessness" is an extra swing every time you attack*. I had it on my spear and both swords by the end of the game because the relics don't even come close to the damage.

*-Strangely, it's not actually "every" time. I was only getting a max of 6 attacks per round when it should have been 8.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Odd, never saw it even once on Normal difficulty, and I checked weapon shops every time I entered a town.

Vorph

I got it on a green tier 4 (dwarven) spear and tier 5 (dragon) sword in Seahaven, and then much later on a blue tier 5 spear and tier 5 sword from Karthal slums. Saw it on a couple weapons that came out of chests too, just never on a weapon type I actually used.

Normal difficulty shouldn't affect that though, I'm not aware of any bonus to getting rare affixes on Warrior level.

Caliane

Magic crit is definitely broken. didnt look close enough at phys yet.

like looking at this right now.

blizzard on elite harpies.
197 damage to one.
540 damage critical to the other.
Damage lists at 112-156.
The char has 8% crit rate, and +56% magic crit damage.
Thats 275% damage.

implosion on the freemage.
156 damage.
467 damage critical.
+26% chance, and +66% damage.
Thats 300% damage.

Base is 20%. So, what is that?

Vorph

Yeah, my friend I mentioned earlier regarding Chain Lightning was seeing crits in the 2-2.5k range once he GM'ed Air on his Freemage, and this wasn't even on stuff with negative air resists. Something ain't right.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
So, easily my least favorite thing about this silly game is the LOL AMBUSH style of monster encounters. Seriously, fuck that shit in its ass, it is so NOT Might and Magic.

Vaclav

So, easily my least favorite thing about this silly game is the LOL AMBUSH style of monster encounters. Seriously, fuck that shit in its ass, it is so NOT Might and Magic.
Xeen certainly had them - been replaying World of Xeen some and there's a few just in the first handful of areas. Gremlin King and Sewers in the first Darkside town for some.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Yeah there were a couple, where it made sense. This, on the other hand, is every other fucking encounter.

I just got my ass handed to me outside Crag when I stepped into a small pass, and on either side of me (in areas I had already explored), no fewer than 10 total monsters spawned and pincered me. This is not a rare occurance in this game, and it's just stupid.

Vaclav

Didn't feel like too many to me, but they toned it down a TON from the beta version where it was 3-4x what they do in the real version. [Although note, if you pirated it - it might be that version still... if there was more than 4-5 of them before the Elemental Forge you're playing the older version that was ridiculous with it]