Might & Magic X: Legacy

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
For what it's worth, swords is pointless on crusader. A lot of wasted points there. GM light, expert in shields, heavy armor, focus weapon, endurance, warfare, mysticism and then work on GMing arcane discipline. For level ups put all into spirit until you have about 150 mana, then go 2 magic/2 spirit until you have about 300 mana, then full magic for rest of game.

Reason being is that CA means you never have to put a point into vitality on any character. Expert endurance (which all classes can get) is enough light to survive exploding fire elementals. My word of light does 250 damage to everything in range non-crit and late game enemies all have negative light resist so it gets even more powerful. Focus weapon + warfare means un-resistable taunts/skull cracks. My mandate of heaven + crit build dagger dancer does a bonus 250~500 damage per melee round (pre GM dagger smind you, after that it's just fucking silly).

So 25 skill points into swords is just a waste.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
For what it's worth, swords is pointless on crusader. A lot of wasted points there. GM light, expert in shields, heavy armor, focus weapon, endurance, warfare, mysticism and then work on GMing arcane discipline. For level ups put all into spirit until you have about 150 mana, then go 2 magic/2 spirit until you have about 300 mana, then full magic for rest of game.

Reason being is that CA means you never have to put a point into vitality on any character. Expert endurance (which all classes can get) is enough light to survive exploding fire elementals. My word of light does 250 damage to everything in range non-crit and late game enemies all have negative light resist so it gets even more powerful. Focus weapon + warfare means un-resistable taunts/skull cracks. My mandate of heaven + crit build dagger dancer does a bonus 250~500 damage per melee round (pre GM dagger smind you, after that it's just fucking silly).

So 25 skill points into swords is just a waste.
Yes, I guess I can see in hindsight how focus weapons can be OP considering they never miss. Definitely counter-intuitive for a Pally and I doubt it's what the devs intended, but from a min/max standpoint now that I have played enough to understand the mechanics, focus would definitely be the way to go.

As for the pally promotion quest, I also only have two discs, one of which is from the Karthal vendor, so I guess I missed one somewhere. I hope it's not in a perception based secret room, as I've had a lot of problems with those since I don't have a champ that has levelled perception. Eagle eye and a few perception based items has allowed me to open some, but I've had to let many remained sealed because I just can't open them..

Crazily

N00b
You do need to be promoted to achieve GM yes. It's still worth it having max swords but you won't GM until lvl 20-25ish depending on the class, some can promote earlier cause the promotion quest are fucking stupid easy though.

As for the disk, might be a bug but I never had an issue with having the full disk in all my playthrough. One is early in the game, I think it's bandit lair in the forest in a secret room, second is in lost city and 3rd in karthal on a vendor. Well it might not be the right numbers. If you're missing the lost city one, it's on lvl 2 at coordinates 13,17 supposedly, based on the thread I've seen. Is that the one you checked that's not there?
Ive been to all of these places...it's disc 3 I am missign but I have been to the karthal vendor (blackfang hideout) a few times to double check, been to lost city a few times to double check as well. Giving up on it for now...

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
I made quite a few hindsight mistakes myself. I GM'd dark on the free mage and dark is terrible. Everything at end game is super resistant to it and nothing lives long enough for agony to be worth it even with 2x dagger dancers. I'd start over but by the time I figured it out it was super late in the game and I can't be fucked to start over again. Truth be told I'm torn on what the 4th slot should even be with crusader/dd/dd since it's so broken that the 4th slot might as well just be another DD or whatever you want it to be.

My 4x runepriest playthrough is pretty silly though. GM fire + GM light is pretty slick I gotta say. Only downside is I have to get supplies more often and there's a brutal section before you do the promotion quest that things can get sketchy.

velk

Trakanon Raider
You do need to be promoted to achieve GM yes. It's still worth it having max swords but you won't GM until lvl 20-25ish depending on the class, some can promote earlier cause the promotion quest are fucking stupid easy though.
If you know where the GM quests are, some of them turn out to be easier than you'd think. I've been running an all melee party lately for the lols, and managed to get BM promotion at level 14, and that's one of the harder ones in terms of stuff to fight. Took a couple of reloads given the dark mage could oneshot people when he critted and is immune to skullcrack, but it wasn't as bad as I thought.

( party is defender, sword bm, 2x dagger bm ).

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I made quite a few hindsight mistakes myself. I GM'd dark on the free mage and dark is terrible. Everything at end game is super resistant to it and nothing lives long enough for agony to be worth it even with 2x dagger dancers. I'd start over but by the time I figured it out it was super late in the game and I can't be fucked to start over again. Truth be told I'm torn on what the 4th slot should even be with crusader/dd/dd since it's so broken that the 4th slot might as well just be another DD or whatever you want it to be.

My 4x runepriest playthrough is pretty silly though. GM fire + GM light is pretty slick I gotta say. Only downside is I have to get supplies more often and there's a brutal section before you do the promotion quest that things can get sketchy.
Yeah, I've noticed that Dark is getting pretty shitty. Sleep was amazing in dealing with packs of humanoid mobs (made me think of mezzing in EQ heh), but it seems like all I've been fighting lately are Elite Spectres/skeletons and blackfang dudes, and they are all immune to it. My freemage is primordial/air/dark and my runepriest is fire/earth, and my freemage felt like a buffbot until I got chain lightning. I don't even have someone with water magic, so have no idea how good that is.. Seriously been playing this game with as little spoilers as possible.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
I have two groups going right now. My new favorite is my 3x runepriest, 1x druid group that is pretty hardcore. There are so few mobs in the game with really high fire resist and you can easily avoid most of them until later on when you can GM light for word of light hilarity. I have about a 55% crit rate with hour of power going on the runepriests. Sickening.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
If you know where the GM quests are, some of them turn out to be easier than you'd think. I've been running an all melee party lately for the lols, and managed to get BM promotion at level 14, and that's one of the harder ones in terms of stuff to fight. Took a couple of reloads given the dark mage could oneshot people when he critted and is immune to skullcrack, but it wasn't as bad as I thought.

( party is defender, sword bm, 2x dagger bm ).
Ah I would have thought this one would be too hard due to being filled with the hard ghouls which tend to fuck dual wield melees up by getting a ton of stackes of their additional attacks. But yeah quite a few are fairly easy. The ranger one requires you to clear that camp in the forest that's quite a bit harder but if you spam frost circle to keep them separated and only fight 1 or 2 at a time, it's pretty easy overall and can be done around lvl 15 too with a good group.

Some are simply not doable though, I haven't played every class but like merc, runepriest, defender and 2 of the orc promotions require air blessing(one of the other orc promotion requires water blessing only from what I could tell but there's a large pack of really tough mobs too so don't know). Druid needs access to Karthal(however once you do have access, it takes 5mins to do and doesn't even have any fighting), Freemage requires to free the guy from Karthal so that takes even longer in the story progression, Paladin needs Karthal and to complete a fairly hard dungeon(but not much harder than Blademaster though). Only quest I'm not sure about is dwarven scout, unless it has to do with the dwarves up the mountains like the other 2 dwarf quests, then need blessing of air.

Caliane

yeah, scout is up in the same mountains as the windsword promo.
you need air and forest blessings.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
The air elemental boss is pretty rough but I was able to do it at 18 with 3x runepriests and a druid. CA is just that freaking strong. I was rocking like 35% crit rate at that point too so on the first round I had gotten him down to something like 30% health.

Currently running around catching up on all the sidequests and whatnot I skipped and nothing, even bosses, lasts more than a single round. Some fights end the first spell. It's pretty slick. I had originally done a 4x runepriest group that focused on magic/spirit but this new build going spirit until 150 mana and then going raw destiny and a druid to buff it even further is pretty disgusting. Even stuff that resists fire dies the first round. Should have GM light soon as well and will be able to use 3x word of light on fire resist stuff for even more hilarity.

Caliane

yeah, as soon as I stopped an looked at the crit, and figured out that extra crit damage mages, get, I started focusing mostly on destiny.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
New patch is okay. The new dungeons are relatively short but I didn't have to pay $5 DLC for each one or some stupid nonsense so that's nice.

Merc with axe is pretty beastly now that their upgrade ability is fixed. They outclass Dager Dancer(DD) up until DD gets GM daggers/DW and even after that they keep pace pretty well. DD wrecks any group of 2+ mobs though thanks to cleave but you realistically only need one cleaver. Crusader/Merc/DD/Druid is stronger through the first 80% of the game but GM Dagger DD is just so crazy broken.

Nerf to regen and opening secrets makes it so that you almost want someone with perception now. With dog, GM hour of power and expert perception it still took me 3~4 rounds to open late game perception secrets. You just miss out on some gold though so not worth the trade off.

Still working on an optimal party for speed running. 3x runepriest + druid is crazy good on normal difficulty but almost impossible on warrior since you can't get to crag prior to lost city without exploiting poison spray and that takes forever to do.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
What is the nerf to regen? I did all the new dungeons and didn't really notice much of anything different except that the reflect seemed to be doing actual damage for a change, but maybe that was because I had spent most of a night reloading vendors until I got decent weapons.

Speaking of perception, I was fortunate to have made my orc barbarian my perception bitch, and for the first 15-20 or so levels gave him about a point per level, plus every single perception barrel, so I almost never had a problem until one or two very late, and even then I didn't need any buffs to get it, just regen.

Also, did anyone have a particular strategy on barrels and such? I gave ALL of the resistance ones to my druid, figuring she could heal people up if she was still alive. I split magic between druid and freemage. All destiny and might went to blade dancer. All +1 stat potions went to blade dancer. All hp/vit potions got split between the two mages to make them fairly even. Originally all mana/spirit split between the two mages, then when I promoted the blade dancer they went there...then when I realized it wasn't really as awesome as I'd hoped (or necessary after liquid membrane), back to mages again. Anyone do anything special?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I guess he means the "exploit" where you'd cast regen then spam secret checks with regen healing you on every interaction and never expiring(so you didn't need to recast or sleep, just spam until you opened the secret).

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
Zehn, how are you handling item identify in that group?
With my 44xRP group? RP's can get expert prime magic for ID. I just didn't really bother though because by the time I started caring about gear I was vendor farming for +fire and +focus gear and just selling everything else.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
I guess he means the "exploit" where you'd cast regen then spam secret checks with regen healing you on every interaction and never expiring(so you didn't need to recast or sleep, just spam until you opened the secret).
Yeah that. It's fixed now so regen actually ticks down and expires, so do all other spells while doing it so your light spells and buffs will run out too. I grabbed a perception gear set on my latest play through and it's a non-issue. Don't need to waste points on it. Expert air + gm prime + bonus 20 from items + dog + barrels/elixers and I get it 2nd or 3rd shot usually.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
So I just got this. Without having to read 14 pages of posts(and preferably without much spoilers), what's a solid group and what are the must-haves when creating them? I'd prefer not to have to restart several times with trial and error.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
Crusader/merc/blade dancer/druid is probably one of the more balanced groups. Very powerful all game long. Near mid game you start being able to kill bosses in one turn. Without going too in depth because I gotta get going, Crusader wants to focus on light magic and warfare, merc on 2h axe and warfare, blade dancer on daggers (can get daggers with relentless affix in 3rd town you visit, those are best) and DW, druid get expert earth first, then expert prime, then start working on GM water, gm prime, master earth in that order.

Stat points wise crusader wants to get to 250 mana and then pump pure +magic. Merc should get about 18 points in spirit and then pure might. Blade dancer wants 20 might, perception and spirit and then go pure destiny. Druid wants to go spirit/magic until 250 mana then pump pure +magic.

Everybody should get expert endurance at some point. Between expert endurance and paladin casting celestial armor you don't need to put any points into vitality. Just make sure to give your druid most of the health pots. You want everybody to have about 120 health by the time you start fighting fire elementals.

Only other neat very useful trick is that crusader can put 1 point into mystic focus, use mage weapons and then they can use warfare attacks like taunt and skullcrack which cannot miss then. Very useful. Get expert shields and expert heavy armor on a crusader, give them the relic shield and relic armor and they take like 2% physical damage. Pretty awesome.

Only downside is you have to use scrolls to detect secrets if you don't have a hireling that can do it for you. There's a dog you can hire for free that can detect secrets hidden in a forest between the second and third towns.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
In general I'd say for the easy mode, you can't go wrong with Druid as your healer and Blademasters(1 or 2). Avoid the ranged classes, or at least avoid using them as ranged, they're pretty decent melees though and especially the orc one has a cool ability. Defender and Merc are fairly poopy, Crusader is strong, every caster is pretty good, Freemage is the only caster class with Dark Magic, which has secret detection and purge, 2 pretty good spells(purge for some mobs, secret detection is good until you unlock a hireling or the power to detect them all the time which happens over halfway into the game). I'd recommend something like Blademaster+Druid+Freemage+whatever you want. Can finish the game with just those 3 easily anyway. Minmaxing isn't really necessary game is fairly easy unless you do really stupid shit.