Might & Magic X: Legacy

velk

Trakanon Raider
So I just got this. Without having to read 14 pages of posts(and preferably without much spoilers), what's a solid group and what are the must-haves when creating them? I'd prefer not to have to restart several times with trial and error.
On adventurer difficulty you can go with literally anything. I've been doing the all might, all hybrid, all magic parties for the achieve, and they are all much easier than I thought, despite lacking any synergy. On warrior difficulty resists are a total pain in the butt, so you want some melee power.

Things that are overpowered :
Liquid membrane
Blademaster cleave
Dagger blademaster combined with crusader buff ( without crusader go swords )
Marauder harpoon
Druid nurture

Things that are underpowered:
Dark magic in general
Archery ( it's ok damage since patch but useless anyway because of the amount of stuff that teleports into melee range )
Crowd control ( things like skull crack, stun, root, taunt etc - they seem great at first but later on anything of significance is immune to them, coz fuck variety right ? ;p )
Armor ( it's relatively easy to get 100% physical resistance, but late game everything has +elemental damage anyway )

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Thanks, guys. I've seen mention of 'vendor camping' etc. Is there a way to reset inventory? I can't find a dagger for shit right now.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
Thanks, guys. I've seen mention of 'vendor camping' etc. Is there a way to reset inventory? I can't find a dagger for shit right now.
The first town has shit for vendor stuff anyways. If you're looking for good daggers you pretty much have to go to the third town, crag. The weapon vendor there typically sells daggers and you have your highest chance of getting good daggers there. If you're on adventure mode you can just buy green +elemental daggers and they'll carry you through to the end of the game. Honestly on adventure mode you could easily win with JUST crusader and merc.

My 'speed run' adventure mode party though is 4x runepriest. master fire magic first and then switch to putting all points into light magic. Very, very few mobs are resistant to both types of magic and GM word of light x4 is just broken. Word of light is a PBaoE around you with a range of 3 so if you're surrounded on all 4 sides or some such bullshit it'll hit everything and the animation for it is relatively quick. The dude that gives you 1 free rest per day is right outside seahaven so that came in pretty handy since this is a very mana heavy build but between mana potions dropping like candy and the free rest dude I was able to coast to the end on only 1 stop at the 20 supplies dude outside Karthal.

Tried it on warrior mode and the orcs on the way to crag are just too resistant to fire. My crusader/merc/bd/druid party though goes pretty fast, just not as lollercaustly as 4x RP on adventure mode does.

Lusiphur

Peasant
Crusader/merc/blade dancer/druid is probably one of the more balanced groups. Very powerful all game long. Near mid game you start being able to kill bosses in one turn. Without going too in depth because I gotta get going, Crusader wants to focus on light magic and warfare, merc on 2h axe and warfare, blade dancer on daggers (can get daggers with relentless affix in 3rd town you visit, those are best) and DW, druid get expert earth first, then expert prime, then start working on GM water, gm prime, master earth in that order.

Stat points wise crusader wants to get to 250 mana and then pump pure +magic. Merc should get about 18 points in spirit and then pure might. Blade dancer wants 20 might, perception and spirit and then go pure destiny. Druid wants to go spirit/magic until 250 mana then pump pure +magic.

Everybody should get expert endurance at some point. Between expert endurance and paladin casting celestial armor you don't need to put any points into vitality. Just make sure to give your druid most of the health pots. You want everybody to have about 120 health by the time you start fighting fire elementals.

Only other neat very useful trick is that crusader can put 1 point into mystic focus, use mage weapons and then they can use warfare attacks like taunt and skullcrack which cannot miss then. Very useful. Get expert shields and expert heavy armor on a crusader, give them the relic shield and relic armor and they take like 2% physical damage. Pretty awesome.

Only downside is you have to use scrolls to detect secrets if you don't have a hireling that can do it for you. There's a dog you can hire for free that can detect secrets hidden in a forest between the second and third towns.
I am not so sure about the Merc. So, level 14 and I have just made it to Crag. On the orcs on the way to Crag the story with the Merc was miss, block, miss, block, block, block. Am I missing something? Because I would say 2xBD is much better.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well you'd want to get warfare and spam the never missing skill. Also whoever attacks first eats the blocks, blocks are limited per turn but have a very high %. Merc isn't too bad but it's not that good either, I played one and enjoyed the special ability that lets you move without wasting a turn but if you're looking at raw damage BD is much much better for sure.

velk

Trakanon Raider
I am not so sure about the Merc. So, level 14 and I have just made it to Crag. On the orcs on the way to Crag the story with the Merc was miss, block, miss, block, block, block. Am I missing something? Because I would say 2xBD is much better.
GM warfare gets you the skill that always hits, always crits and prevents the target from blocking that turn. So it's more a long haul thing, you'll suck for a while. 2H gets some pretty monster hits late game though.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
I think I found the ideal speedrun group. 1x druid, 3x marauder. Maurader is good, solid damage all game long and their promotion quest is really fast. 3x harpoons means never having to wait on mobs getting into range. Druid is all you really need for heals and you don't even need to promote. Marauder promotion is quick and then you only have to do one quest. Light on AE damage but I think not having to do multiple promotion quests makes up for it. Can get good spears in crag early on and 50% armor pen eliminates the only downside to melee in the game.

Only downside is party is extremely squishy until I get liquid membrane and one healer is huge risk.

Lusiphur

Peasant
I think I found the ideal speedrun group. 1x druid, 3x marauder. Maurader is good, solid damage all game long and their promotion quest is really fast. 3x harpoons means never having to wait on mobs getting into range. Druid is all you really need for heals and you don't even need to promote. Marauder promotion is quick and then you only have to do one quest. Light on AE damage but I think not having to do multiple promotion quests makes up for it. Can get good spears in crag early on and 50% armor pen eliminates the only downside to melee in the game.

Only downside is party is extremely squishy until I get liquid membrane and one healer is huge risk.
Should be fine as long as you get an immunity to feeblemind and knock out on it asap? Mind you the rings with one of those on are extortionate. Also, with 2 healers then health pots end up being vendor fodder (in my experience) so one healer would mean you would have a use for those.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
Got the game recently, loving it so far, don't know why I waited so long. I wanted one of each race, so I'm running bladedancer, hunter, paladin, runepriest. I saw a few pages ago talk about editing game files to do things like customize the range penalty, etc. Is there a way to edit spells in the same way? I'd like to make some small quality of life changes, like making spells like torchlight or detect secrets last something like 5000 rounds instead of 30. Is that doable, and if so, anyone explain how?

velk

Trakanon Raider
Got the game recently, loving it so far, don't know why I waited so long. I wanted one of each race, so I'm running bladedancer, hunter, paladin, runepriest. I saw a few pages ago talk about editing game files to do things like customize the range penalty, etc. Is there a way to edit spells in the same way? I'd like to make some small quality of life changes, like making spells like torchlight or detect secrets last something like 5000 rounds instead of 30. Is that doable, and if so, anyone explain how?
Yes, assuming steam, it's

<steamdir>\steamapps\common\Might & Magic X - Legacy\Might and Magic X Legacy_Data\StreamingAssets\StaticData\PartyBuffs. csv

Then just change column F for whatever spell you want to your desired duration.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Should be fine as long as you get an immunity to feeblemind and knock out on it asap? Mind you the rings with one of those on are extortionate. Also, with 2 healers then health pots end up being vendor fodder (in my experience) so one healer would mean you would have a use for those.
No, with setups like that it's the healer getting KO'ed that you have to worry about. Pre-liquid membrane heaps of things will instantly knock a druid unconscious if they focus fire, and once they are KO'ed potions are useless. I found the best solution to that for an all might party was scrolls of heal party. Just camp a vendor for a few days and get a decent stack going.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
Refined my route a bit. Getting a new PC soon too should help some since mine chugs on this game and having to reload 100x to get a near perfect run through a dungeon is annoying.

Only thing I wish I could do is avoid having to get regen spell before spider boss. I tried something like 100 times to beat it without but I just haven't had any luck.

Once I get level 3 the opening chapter goes pretty quickly. Worst part of speed running is how dependent you are on luck. Have to keep redoing the first boss until I get a spear drop and hope it has a good mod on it.

Second chapter I got to crag really easy. Can abuse time stasis on the druid something fierce to take out the healers. Truth be told if it weren't for those two dreamcallers on the way to crag an all runepriest party would probably wreck the game. Got distracted by the south park game but I'm trying to map out the most efficient act 2 route I can.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
Beat the game finally. It was amusing to see they added the Limbo dungeon as a post-game dungeon, though it's really just an easter egg area with a bunch of npcs named after the devs, etc. Much like the old NWC dungeons from previous M&M games.

I was originally planning to re-play with an all caster party after beating it, but I don't know anymore. I had a druid in my first playthrough, and even though he had maxed earth and water, later in the game I never nuked anything because my melee 1-2 shot most enemies, so magic felt like a waste aside from buffs and heals (which are important). My dagger blademaster was wearing the full suit of special armor that comes from the crystal spider boss. Each piece adds an AE nuke to every single melee hit, and they stack. So each time my blademaster hit in melee, it would AE nuke the whole area for something like 60 damage. With I think 8? attacks per round by endgame (more when he dodged, more when he got a killing blow), it got kind of ridiculous.

Pain reflect though.... screw those mobs. If my blademaster attacked any of them without liquid membrane active, he instantly knocked himself unconscious.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
My dagger blademaster was wearing the full suit of special armor that comes from the crystal spider boss. Each piece adds an AE nuke to every single melee hit, and they stack.
Wait a second. I remember killing the crystal spider boss, but I don't remember any special armor, and I don't remember being able to kill him multiple times to get several pieces of said armor. Am I missing something here?

velk

Trakanon Raider
Wait a second. I remember killing the crystal spider boss, but I don't remember any special armor, and I don't remember being able to kill him multiple times to get several pieces of said armor. Am I missing something here?
There's a chest behind him with a full set of green armor that gives +17ish prime damage aoe on hit on each piece. You might have just vendored it if not paying attention though given it is green and there's no reason to expect that no other armor in the game has that effect.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
Beat the game finally.
Dagger dancer with cyrstal spider armor is just all kinds of hilarious. The only thing that comes close in DPS is a low health warmonger with an axe and even then if there is only one mob. Any time there are two or more mobs in melee range nothing comes close to dagger dancer.

As for an all caster party I liked my 4 rune priest group on adventure mode. I tried an all caster group on warrior though and I don't think it's feasible. Too much having to kite shit.

Lusiphur

Peasant
The first town has shit for vendor stuff anyways. If you're looking for good daggers you pretty much have to go to the third town, crag. The weapon vendor there typically sells daggers and you have your highest chance of getting good daggers there. If you're on adventure mode you can just buy green +elemental daggers and they'll carry you through to the end of the game. Honestly on adventure mode you could easily win with JUST crusader and merc.

My 'speed run' adventure mode party though is 4x runepriest. master fire magic first and then switch to putting all points into light magic. Very, very few mobs are resistant to both types of magic and GM word of light x4 is just broken. Word of light is a PBaoE around you with a range of 3 so if you're surrounded on all 4 sides or some such bullshit it'll hit everything and the animation for it is relatively quick. The dude that gives you 1 free rest per day is right outside seahaven so that came in pretty handy since this is a very mana heavy build but between mana potions dropping like candy and the free rest dude I was able to coast to the end on only 1 stop at the 20 supplies dude outside Karthal.

Tried it on warrior mode and the orcs on the way to crag are just too resistant to fire. My crusader/merc/bd/druid party though goes pretty fast, just not as lollercaustly as 4x RP on adventure mode does.
For shits and giggles I have been trying the Zehn speed run parties. I must be missing something because I just could not get it working.

1) 4xRP - Lv 14 on all, Master Fire, working on GM light. Orcs on the way to crag are not happening. Can't outdps their healing and can't burst the healer down.
2) 1xDruid,3xHunter - couldn't even kill the Spider Queen, ran out of antidotes
wink.png

Give me your wisdom oh wise ones.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
For shits and giggles I have been trying the Zehn speed run parties. I must be missing something because I just could not get it working.

1) 4xRP - Lv 14 on all, Master Fire, working on GM light. Orcs on the way to crag are not happening. Can't outdps their healing and can't burst the healer down.
2) 1xDruid,3xHunter - couldn't even kill the Spider Queen, ran out of antidotes
wink.png

Give me your wisdom oh wise ones.
I'm assuming you're doing warrior mode? Getting to crag is hard with 4x RP. Need to abuse stasis to do it. Takes forever though and I didn't relish the thought of 5 more levels of that bullshit so gave up on 4xrp.

As far as the spider boss goes, I don't even bother with antidotes. Make sure you grab two chests before you go in to get enough money to buy regen off the spell vendor first. I can't beat it without getting regen either, tried like 100 times. Had no troubles after that.