Might & Magic X: Legacy

bytes

Molten Core Raider
Graphics aren't the point of a game like this, but alot of stuff looks really god damn terrible, this screenshot is taken with everything maxed out. The guards look even worse, like some old-ass model that's been heavily upscaled in size to fit into the game.

Caliane

Graphics aren't the point of a game like this, but alot of stuff looks really god damn terrible, this screenshot is taken with everything maxed out. The guards look even worse, like some old-ass model that's been heavily upscaled in size to fit into the game.
yeah. this is what I was talking about.
its bizarre. I dont know if its the engine or what. the first town is really bad about this, first thing you see in the game. but go elsewhere and textures are far better. You would think they would make that introductory experience better.

In general, I did finish the ACT1. Have to say, in spite of various complaints. all around found myself enjoying playing quite a bit.
I like the grid based play FAR more then free. Like I mentioned playing wizardy 8 last week. its downright annoying really. positioning, moving, etc. this grid is superior for a tactical gameplay. I probably like the fully turned based, over grimrocks action based, with grids as well.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Looks good. Could give a shit about the graphics. Just give me the 6 town CRPG romp that the series was once famous for. And that really creepy voice asking, "WHERE TO?"

the Dark eye trilogy had instant movement from tile to tile in part 1 in '92,...first one was really, really hard to get into
smile.png
You shut your whore mouth and eat a piece of cheese toast.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Must be some bug with Unity that causes it to sometimes display textures improperly scaled. That spot does not look like that for me:

Sorpigal-by-the-Sea 02.png

However, if I walk around the corner to a nearby house:

Sorpigal-by-the-Sea 03.png

Those are with every setting maxed out. I had to use the screenshots generated by saving the game, for some reason neither the in-game screenshot key nor the key I have bound in RadeonPro to take screenshots work for me.

P.S. If you want 16:10 resolutions in the game, or any other resolution not in the extremely limited in-game selections, edit My Documents/MightAndMagicLegacyX/options64.txt

Caliane

one thing Im seeing on the forums is, the "during play" graphics options is broken. you have to set graphics at the START of the game, for it to save.

a tip for those starting.

Finding secrets/traps is not based on perception at all.
it is purely based on having a companion npc that will do it for you. or using the spells that do it.
the spell can come in the form of a player character casting it. or purchasing scrolls from the magical items vendors. Whispering shadows.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah graphics seem weird sometimes I'll notice everything is blurry as shit but only once in a while. Regardless though, still looks better than 10+ years old games of the same genre and still isn't very relevant. Finished act1 twice(well I rerolled in the last dungeon, first group was pretty shitty/weak so I made a stronger one), game is pretty fun, not sure how much content there is but enjoying it so far. Balance seems completely fucked though, some stuff is a lot stronger than other stuff for apparently no reason.

For example as far as I could tell from all my different builds, a dual wielding dagger RANGER is actually the best melee class. Guess you could make a Blade Dancer too but I went ranger cause you lose a bunch of stuff like GM medium/endurance and expert earth magic+mysticism for GM DW. But really anything with daggers and dual wielding, the damage is ridiculous, because the enchantments on magic items do flat damage so when you do 5attacks a turn, well it adds up to retarded damage(and that's only with expert dagger, at GM you get 2more attacks, I say 5 cause I found a dagger that has +1attack per turn on it).

Spell wise I tried a few spells but the earth magic aoe is pretty much the strongest, at least for trash(bosses are immune to the dot so it sucks). It reduces avoidance, does good damage albeit over time and costs very little mana. I could spec fireball but other than the fact it's ranged I don't see a point since damage isn't that high and mana cost is like twice as much.

On the ranged part, ranged seems complete fucking shit with the way they designed the game. In Grimrock, you actually position your team in a square and your back row can use ranged weapons on shit, but it also means they're exposed if enemies are behind you. In this well everyone is in melee range all the time almost, so making an archer is a massive waste of time unless you do a full ranged setup with mages doing roots and shit. My first group had a full leveled bow char and the damage wasn't even good.

Vorph

one thing Im seeing on the forums is, the "during play" graphics options is broken. you have to set graphics at the START of the game, for it to save.
Nah, changing graphics settings works fine for me. The shadow in that second image was blocky as hell until I went in and set everything to max, and it updated without a full reload of the game. Nothing I do fixes the door/door frame though. Not really a big deal, but hopefully it's something they patch soon.

Caliane

Yeah graphics seem weird sometimes I'll notice everything is blurry as shit but only once in a while. Regardless though, still looks better than 10+ years old games of the same genre and still isn't very relevant. Finished act1 twice(well I rerolled in the last dungeon, first group was pretty shitty/weak so I made a stronger one), game is pretty fun, not sure how much content there is but enjoying it so far. Balance seems completely fucked though, some stuff is a lot stronger than other stuff for apparently no reason.

For example as far as I could tell from all my different builds, a dual wielding dagger RANGER is actually the best melee class. Guess you could make a Blade Dancer too but I went ranger cause you lose a bunch of stuff like GM medium/endurance and expert earth magic+mysticism for GM DW. But really anything with daggers and dual wielding, the damage is ridiculous, because the enchantments on magic items do flat damage so when you do 5attacks a turn, well it adds up to retarded damage(and that's only with expert dagger, at GM you get 2more attacks, I say 5 cause I found a dagger that has +1attack per turn on it).

Spell wise I tried a few spells but the earth magic aoe is pretty much the strongest, at least for trash(bosses are immune to the dot so it sucks). It reduces avoidance, does good damage albeit over time and costs very little mana. I could spec fireball but other than the fact it's ranged I don't see a point since damage isn't that high and mana cost is like twice as much.

On the ranged part, ranged seems complete fucking shit with the way they designed the game. In Grimrock, you actually position your team in a square and your back row can use ranged weapons on shit, but it also means they're exposed if enemies are behind you. In this well everyone is in melee range all the time almost, so making an archer is a massive waste of time unless you do a full ranged setup with mages doing roots and shit. My first group had a full leveled bow char and the damage wasn't even good.
yeah, I didnt really want to get into builds, etc. let people play what they wanted.

but my first party was human fighter, dwarf scout, human mage, elf druid.
I was kindof expecting a grimrock front row/back row. which is not the case.
This makes melee tanks kindof pointless. Their are skills to taunt, to protect your casters. but they are melee, cost alot of mana, and single target. and do nothing vs cleaves, etc. all around kindof shitty.
I also quickly noted my scout, was doing far far more melee dps then ranged dps. unless I forced my mages to was mana on roots, as you noted. Since, you have to use melee weapons in melee.
At the same time, investing 1 point in a ranged weapon for everyone is also kindof a good thing. its just 1 point. and gives your mages an option for ranged attacks when oom, or when you dont want to waste 20 mana for that fireball vs some chump.

my mage was focusing on air magic. and its aoe was dealing WAY more damage then the earth magic poison. the evade is nice sure. And fireballs damage is pretty good point for point as well.
you may have been a bit thrown off, by the fact tooltips update with damage increases.
so like lets say that earth root starts off with 20 damage for 15 mana at 1 talent point. and fireball starts at 40 damage for 20 mana at 1 talent point.
you seemed to like earth so were investing points in earth. at 10 talent points, your earth skills are getting 5% damage per talent point, so your earth root will read 30 damage for 15 mana. vs your fireball still at 1 talent point. so maybe that was throwing you off? By the end of act one, yeah my mages lighting bolt was like 60-90 or something for 15 mana. with a 46 damage fireball..

edit: oh, looking in game now. tooltip for ranged attacks has changed. its just a 50% damage penalty now?

bytes

Molten Core Raider
I'm annoyed at myself for not buying this when it was 10 dollars or something, just bought it on Steam for full price after checking the pirated version first. Not entirely sure how up to date that one was, maybe that is why some of the graphics looked like ass. Also, some spells don't seem to work like they're supposed to do, or not at all.
Shadow Cloak says it will cause the next enemy attack to miss and then disappear; the spiders don't seem to give a damn about it though, they never miss and the Cloak is never removed.

Caliane

I'm annoyed at myself for not buying this when it was 10 dollars or something, just bought it on Steam for full price after checking the pirated version first. Not entirely sure how up to date that one was, maybe that is why some of the graphics looked like ass. Also, some spells don't seem to work like they're supposed to do, or not at all.
Shadow Cloak says it will cause the next enemy attack to miss and then disappear; the spiders don't seem to give a damn about it though, they never miss and the Cloak is never removed.
full version JUST came out today. so pirated version would likely be the alpha.

Tooltip for shadowcloak is also updated. "makes targets miss for 6 turns" abbreviated.
versus prior it did seem to suggest it was one attack only.
the spiders poison is a spell I think. so might skip it.

Vorph

The Reloaded release that came out yesterday is the full version, there hasn't been a patch yet, and there are plenty of people who bought the game complaining about the same graphics issues on Steam and Ubi forums. I never played the alpha, but apparently the muddy texture thing wasn't present in that version. Hopefully that means it's a simple fix.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I think it still looks just fine for a game like this in the "bad" pictures posted. I don't understand it when people bitch so much about graphics that look just fine, but maybe look a bit dated. If they look "dated" but from an era that still had good-looking graphics, then what the fuck is the problem IMO? I could see complaints if it looked like FF7 on PS1 or something, like that initial conversion to polygons. That era will NEVER look good. But shit, I can play the two Xeen games and still be like "hey these graphics are fine!"

Vorph

Because it's an obvious bug in the rendering engine, not just bad or dated-looking art assets. It's a really glaring flaw when everything else around the shitty-looking texture is high resolution--just look at the picture of the door that I posted above.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
M&M games always had ranks somewhat. Characters in the "front" (first two slots from the left) get hit much more often. You could also see it with things like bashing doors only damaging the first two living characters. However, every character could melee. That said, I haven't played this yet. I'm waiting for some patches.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Because it's an obvious bug in the rendering engine, not just bad or dated-looking art assets. It's a really glaring flaw when everything else around the shitty-looking texture is high resolution--just look at the picture of the door that I posted above.
Yeah I guess I just don't have as discerning an eye as others. It really doesn't bother me at all. I look at that picture with the door and I'm like "Cool."

But then again I've never been one for ultra-realism in my games. The better the graphics get, the more they tend to slant toward realism, and I'm playing a fucking game, I want it to look like a game.

Vaclav

The Reloaded release that came out yesterday is the full version, there hasn't been a patch yet, and there are plenty of people who bought the game complaining about the same graphics issues on Steam and Ubi forums. I never played the alpha, but apparently the muddy texture thing wasn't present in that version. Hopefully that means it's a simple fix.
The muddy textures in question existed in the Alpha graphics and performance are WAY up from the last Alpha. But there are a few textures that missed getting updated or something, because many look tons better (largely from filtering being added I'd imagine 16x filtering wasn't an option in alpha - also some AA options seem muddier than others to me - FXAA3 looks terrible compared to FXAA2 to me for example - although I've not tried all of them, just started at top hated 3, liked 2 and stopped)

bytes

Molten Core Raider
Has anybody seen a dual-wield trainer anywhere? The Naga in the lighthouse used to be an expert trainer for it, but has been changed apparently, so he'll only train the master rank. Also, I'm extremely low on money (playing on the harder difficulty).

I finished the lighthouse and I got the book from the bandits, but all my guys are wearing so far is their weapons and a pair of basic boots plus helmets, can't afford anything else. Identifying equipment is crazy expensive, same goes for the spells.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Decided to give this a go and I'm stuck on the 3rd floor of the lighthouse where you get double teamed by the Naga, left to get a few levels and came back and still owned like a red headed stepchild... I must be missing something.