Minecraft

Sumi_sl

shitlord
I consider Tekkit to be more about building shitloads of pipes and machines, whereas vanilla MC is about exploring and shaping parts of worlds.
Being new to minecraft I get what you are saying when it comes to the FTB sever I play on. I would get excited about farming or learning the recipe for an item and other folks are running around in nano armor with a full lab in the nether. I've just settled into playing the game how I want to play and that mostly keeps me in the overland. It is cool to visit folks and check out their power plants or interactive stage shows that play music. But I like how the different portals to other worlds give people space if they want it while community hubs with linked books bring us together when need be.

I find it hilarious when a request for wool, ink, sand, cobblestone, or any other basic supply is asked for and I have it stocked because that is what I work with. Plus I tend not to use the diamonds or redrock I find- ironwood glows and has enchants. I got my supply just with a pick axe and bedrock tunneling.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
because that meant always going through a time consuming routine of breaking out all my machines / tools to start mining. By the tme I felt I was set up, I'd have 30 minutes left to play.
Well, the main problem with that setup is the need to bring out your machines every time. If you played on a server with people you knew weren't going to steal your super-modded induction furnaces the moment you logged off, your experience might be a little bit different. (EDIT: That's not to suggest the people here would, but you know what I'm saying. I've played on FoH servers plenty too, and had shit stolen/destroyed as well as had plenty of people I gave free access to any of my shit. It is simply that it isn't a couple of your close friends all working towards a common goal, instead it is 20+ different people you only vaguely know, all doing their own thing, some with a PVP mentality to go with it.)

Not trying to dismiss your argument however, as I know what you are getting at. FTB/Tekkit definitely have an aspect of exactly what you say, and after awhile you do end up automating so much that you wonder why you're playing. But the same thing always happened to me in vanilla too; I would try to build something and wonder why I was spending most of my time mining for materials instead of building. So then I'd go play creative...but we all know that gets boring too. So then I'd go play Tekkit...but that got boring eventually too. The problem with Minecraft is, and always has been, that there is no definitive end goal. You play until you get bored of it, all the time, every time. It doesn't matter what add-ons you include, what machines you build, what tasks you take away from the player (and trust me when I say that finally getting a working sorting system can be every bit as rewarding as anything else I've ever built)...eventually everyone gets bored. There is no way to stop that unless you employ a specific goal, which is actually what the FTB maps (not mod packs) strive to do. They put people together (or a solo player) with limited starting resources and see how long it takes them to complete specific goals.

I actually would suggest if you're bored with building in Minecraft that you check out an FTB challenge map. They are hard. Very, very hard. Insanely hard. Probably too hard for most of us that aren't intricately knowledgeable with all parts of the different mods. But it will at least give you a goal to work towards instead of "Well I built a sweet house, now what?" Because we've all built dozens of sweet houses by now, right?

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
Rerolled Vanilla SMP is up and running.

PM me for server IP*and please include your in-game name so I can add you to the whitelist*

We've only got two mod/admins, and we're part-timing it, so be gentle with the server and considerate of your neighbors.

McFly

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Mcfly's boat house is open for business!

I saw that we have a /balance command. Is that for some type merchant/economy mod?

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
I think that's part of essentials. the command may be active, but I think its effects are not

meanwhile, don't use it!
tongue.png

xzi

Mouthbreather
I'm probably not going to play that much but I'd be down for some building. name is 0xzi.

Reiker

Golden Knight of the Realm
I sent a PM. I've never played on an FoH server since I was always involved with others at the time. Do you guys generally do community stuff or do groups of people go out and do their own thing?

Kais

<Gold Donor>
Bit of both. Ask for help and there's usually someone about willing to lend a hand.

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
all PM'd requests for whitelist have been approved and IPs sent out.

not sure what happened with server, contacting the host to see what was going on. apparently it went down for a couple of hours while i was out.... should be good now

Reiker

Golden Knight of the Realm
calm down bro.

I can get on now, but my connection is being super flakey so I'm going to wait until later to do anything I guess.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Oh lawdy, thanks for the invite and whatnot
biggrin.png
..logged in to find the spawn totally surrounded by zombies. Little shits.