MLB Hot Stove '13-'14

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Astros trade for Fowler

Astros trade Brandon Barnes (replacement level CF or worse) and Jordan Lyles (young starter with some potential) for Dexter Fowler.

This is extremely confusing since the best prospect likely to make the bigs next year in the Astros system,George Springer, is also a CF. I guess Luhnow has his reasons.

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Astros trade for Fowler

Astros trade Brandon Barnes (replacement level CF or worse) and Jordan Lyles (young starter with some potential) for Dexter Fowler.

This is extremely confusing since the best prospect likely to make the bigs next year in the Astros system,George Springer, is also a CF. I guess Luhnow has his reasons.
Astros have so many holes they may need 4 outfielders to compete?

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Astros have so many holes they may need 4 outfielders to compete?
LOL. Maybe if they keep losing 100+ they'll get a waiver to field 10 players on defense.

Seriously though, it strikes me as odd their one big move so far is to get a worthy starter in the position where they have their biggest upside prospect.

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
With them moving to the AL the DH opens up a few possibilities. Maybe move JD Martinez to DH. I honestly don't know much about him, but he doesn't look overly athletic for an outfielder.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
I searched around a bit and apparently Springer is capable of playing multiple outfield positions. So no big deal.

Hopefully the Astros have plans to upgrade talent way more than one CF coming off a down year. They just dumped one of their potential future starters. Maybe that means they'll bring back Bedard. Not sure how I feel about that. Or maybe they have bigger plans.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Ugh I've been dealing with Tiger fans all day that swear up and down the Fister trade was a good one and I want to punch each and every fucking one of them.

"IT FREES UP PAYROLL!!!!"

Yeah because 7 million would really have broken us. Also, I'm not opposed to dealing him, but fucking get something in return holy fuck.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
Teams are doling out some retarded fucking contracts. Are the Yankees aiming to fill every roster spot with absolutely outrageous deals?

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Teams are doling out some retarded fucking contracts. Are the Yankees aiming to fill every roster spot with absolutely outrageous deals?
The truly amazing part is the Yankees just went through a season with an amazing amount of injuries due to the old players. Ellsbury isn't ancient but they are actually getting older with him, and McCann.

Sterling

El Presidente
Not very excited by the Ellsbury thing. Wouldn't mind it so much if it was 4 or 5 years but 7 is kind of a lot. Also the Cano's contract is going to be insane.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Okay, Mariners getting Cano just got a little more likely. There's very little chance that the Yankees sign Cano now. They're super nervous about luxury tax these days.

I still think he'll end up somewhere else, but I could see the Mariners giving him a lolcontract now that the Yankees are probably out of it.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Okay, Mariners getting Cano just got a little more likely. There's very little chance that the Yankees sign Cano now. They're super nervous about luxury tax these days.

I still think he'll end up somewhere else, but I could see the Mariners giving him a lolcontract now that the Yankees are probably out of it.
Told ya. (hopefully)
tongue.png

Duppin_sl

shitlord
I don't think he WANTS to come here. He wants to stay in a big East Coast city. But he also desperately wants to out A-Rod A-Rod. The Mariners might be dumb enough to help him do it.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I think he wants to get paid and could care less where it happens. If he can break A-Rods contract in the process all the better but I'm pretty sure he could care less where he ends up as long as he gets a huge amount of money.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
I think he wants to get paid and could care less where it happens. If he can break A-Rods contract in the process all the better but I'm pretty sure he could care less where he ends up as long as he gets a huge amount of money.
I don't hear as much as I used to, but from what I am hearing, Jay-Z has convinced him that he can turn him into a marketing superstar. That pretty much precludes playing up here in the boonies. They want the contract as much for the "biggest contract ever" brag as they do for the actual money. Jay-Z is desperate to prove himself as an actual agent, despite all accounts so far saying that he's incompetent as fuck at it.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
These 7-10 year contracts make me crazy.
Agreed, I don't get why they have allowed players to go beyond 5 years as an acceptable practice.

And I haven't heard anything great about him either Duppin but if he can broker a deal larger than A-Rods I would think that would be a win for him regardless of whatever his original plan may have been.