MLB Hot Stove '13-'14

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
The new way to do it is give your 24-26 year olds 6-8 year contracts on a discount and never let them reach FA. That requires having a farm system that actually produces talent though.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
I guess we'll see what else the Mariners do. I'm still really surprised that Jay-Z let Cano leave a major East Coast city.

The rumored deal they're trying to put together that would send Taijuan Walker PLUS to Tampa for David Price has the potential to be even more of a disaster! At least all they're giving Cano is money.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Well that should be good for the mariners for a few years... lol

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I guess we'll see what else the Mariners do. I'm still really surprised that Jay-Z let Cano leave a major East Coast city.

The rumored deal they're trying to put together that would send Taijuan Walker PLUS to Tampa for David Price has the potential to be even more of a disaster! At least all they're giving Cano is money.
If it included an extension with Price would that change your tune?

Duppin_sl

shitlord
No. Price is very good but there's a pretty decent chance that Walker will be better in a few years. He's cheap and under team control for I think 4 more years, whereas even an extension for Price would be paying close to market rate for those wins.

Add to all of this that the main target to fix the team's total lack of talent in the outfield still seems to be Nelson Cruz, and we're in for a long few years as Mariners fans.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
The good news is, for the first 3-4 years of the contract the Mariners will probably get pretty good surplus value. The going rate for wins seems to have climbed to about $6.5m per win, and the Mariners will be paying about $5m per win. Cano's not a player that should age TERRIBLY, so it probably won't become a true albatross until about year 7.

On a scale of 1-10 where 1 is a great deal and a 10 is a franchise crippling disaster, this is about an 8.

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I can't blame the Mariners in this case. Is it a bad contract, sure. As has been pointed out in this thread though the organization has not been able to draw this sort of talent there for years. They had to start somewhere, and perhaps this will open the door to attract better players in the future.

Cano is never injured, and is probably the most consistent hitter you will find the past 5 years. Plays stellar D as well. He will piss off a bunch of fans though as he never runs out ground balls, and at times gets to flashy in the field and takes bad errors. Mariners had money to burn here is the bottom line. It will get them probably 5-6 good years out of him.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
I just cant understand the money given out in baseball

Jacoby's deal looking much better now. 80+ millions more for cano for .2 more WAR.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
As far as Cano goes, he's either going to sign for less years with the Yankees or go somewhere because I don't think they are going to cave on that one. Not with still having to deal with the A-Rod contract (no matter what happens to him), signing Ellsbury and McCann, plus the other contracts they still have (CC, Tex). The article I recently read gave a good layout on how the negotiations are going. Cano is saying he worth 10 years as a player and as a brand to the Yankees. Yankees counter saying last year, on a team where he was the sole face (Jeter and others hurt) and attendance went down (meaning he didn't put more fannies in the seats).
Called it, there was no way the Yanks were going 10 years, they basically swore they were never going to get into an A-Rod type contract again. Ellsbury is a long contract, but it's not long enough where he's basically untradeable for 7 years. I don't blame Cano for taking the money, but you wonder at what cost. He is banished from not only the east coast but the biggest media market to a town where the big name is the Seahawks, not the Mariners.

sl4ck3r_sl

shitlord
O's just gave up one of their most likable OF options to the Nationals, Nate McClouth. He petered off at the end with his .avg, but still led the club in stolen bases from what I remember, by a long shot. If he wasn't a bench player he'd be a contender for the league in stolen bases, which he did at one point around stolen base 20 or so. After checking, he actually led the team with 30 with the second being Adam Jones with 14. Also led the team with triples. O's gave up their speed and a decent leadoff hitter.

In the same day they also managed to lose their ONLY pitcher to pitch a complete game this year, Scott Feldman, to the Astros for 3yr/30m, ugh. Oriole's starting rotation was to say the least, sub par last year, but Feldman at least gave it some hope when they acquired him.

This off season is seriously a god damn rollercoaster of emotions. Tons of rumors still popping up and after seeing this,Mariners rumors: M's now in on Bartolo Colon, Mike Napoli, Shin-Soo Choo, more trades coming - Lookout Landing, the Mariner's trying to become the 2013 Blue Jays? Not going to lie, I'd love to see Felix get a ring.

Fuck, the Orioles better make some moves.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Eh. The Mariners are only not a name because the team has been bad for so long. Games were sold out like crazy during the 2001 run. There's a substantial fanbase here that wants to support a winning baseball team.

Just as an edit: Lookout Landing, these days, should be basically ignored. It's a whole new set of people running it and they don't have any connections at all.

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Dysfunction at the top: Eric Wedge, others point to trouble in Mariners front office | Mariners | The Seattle Times

I knew about some of this, but not all of it.

The quotes from Tony Blengino are particularly damning. He's goddamn brilliant, and it sounds like Jack couldn't handle having someone in the room way smarter than him.
Just wow. I moved out to NE Virginia 3 years ago... I should probably just give up on the Ms and find another team. God damn is that team mismanaged badly