Monster Hunter Rise

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Nailed it. Ok pretty sold on the new stuff. Going to be another multi hundred hour game easily =]

uwu.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Yeah easily. More I play the more I learn and play style evolves. Hunting horn is amazeballs and swapped to SNS to try something new and it feels really nice.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
How hard is this going to make my dick compared to World? How is it different/the same?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
How hard is this going to make my dick compared to World? How is it different/the same?
Graphics are bit worse but doesn't really matter, there's less monsters because no expansion yet and continuous content releases haven't been as good from my understand(#1 complaint from old MH fans I've seen, might change with the expansion/dual release though). Lots of "new" monsters though, some from previous MH and some entirely new to this entry, that weren't in world.

You don't have the slinger anymore nor the claw from world(these were specific to this entry), instead you have stuff like picking up various endemic life to throw at shit to replace slinger and the silkbind stuff to replace claw which is much much better. Basically you have 2 charges baseline(can get 3rd temporarily on maps) and various abilities use 1 or 2 and put them on cooldown for more or less time depending. Every weapon has 2 silkbind skills(one of which can be switched to another skill), as well as baseline features like knockdown recovery(can instantly recover out of knockdowns before you land on the ground, great to interupt monster combos) or just using them for movement(can use as a speed dash similar to dual blades dash but longer, although more limited). You can also mount monsters with silkbind stuff to make them fight other monsters/charge them into walls, similar to the claw but stronger. Can use them out of combat for traversal too, which is great, you can more or less climb up anything.

Get a dog on top of the cat, dog does combat stuff normally and can also ride it like MHW iceborne addition, but it's free movement like a mount instead of having it be automatic guiding to specific targets like it was. Great to follow after bosses and explore maps faster.

Rest is more or less the same, there's differences here and there in mechanics and systems, but I'd say the only huge difference compared to world is the silkbind new mechanic(and well all the weapon related changes, most only got slight changes but some got fairly big changes, and the silkbind moves+switch skills for each weapon add some new options). Feels more fast paced/action-y as a result since the silkbinds let you reposition or recover faster when you fuck up, and some of the moves also fill some voids in some weapons(mobility, defense, ramp up time and such).

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Graphics are bit worse but doesn't really matter, there's less monsters because no expansion yet and continuous content releases haven't been as good from my understand(#1 complaint from old MH fans I've seen, might change with the expansion/dual release though). Lots of "new" monsters though, some from previous MH and some entirely new to this entry, that weren't in world.

You don't have the slinger anymore nor the claw from world(these were specific to this entry), instead you have stuff like picking up various endemic life to throw at shit to replace slinger and the silkbind stuff to replace claw which is much much better. Basically you have 2 charges baseline(can get 3rd temporarily on maps) and various abilities use 1 or 2 and put them on cooldown for more or less time depending. Every weapon has 2 silkbind skills(one of which can be switched to another skill), as well as baseline features like knockdown recovery(can instantly recover out of knockdowns before you land on the ground, great to interupt monster combos) or just using them for movement(can use as a speed dash similar to dual blades dash but longer, although more limited). You can also mount monsters with silkbind stuff to make them fight other monsters/charge them into walls, similar to the claw but stronger. Can use them out of combat for traversal too, which is great, you can more or less climb up anything.

Get a dog on top of the cat, dog does combat stuff normally and can also ride it like MHW iceborne addition, but it's free movement like a mount instead of having it be automatic guiding to specific targets like it was. Great to follow after bosses and explore maps faster.

Rest is more or less the same, there's differences here and there in mechanics and systems, but I'd say the only huge difference compared to world is the silkbind new mechanic(and well all the weapon related changes, most only got slight changes but some got fairly big changes, and the silkbind moves+switch skills for each weapon add some new options). Feels more fast paced/action-y as a result since the silkbinds let you reposition or recover faster when you fuck up, and some of the moves also fill some voids in some weapons(mobility, defense, ramp up time and such).
So are moves not combos anymore? They're more like "hotkeys" you'd press in a traditional MMO and a "skill" executes?

Delly

Trakanon Raider
PC has almost all the content the Switch currently has and it will be in sync by the end of Feb. PC has all the major content though.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
So are moves not combos anymore? They're more like "hotkeys" you'd press in a traditional MMO and a "skill" executes?
Uh? No it's still the same. The silkbind moves are just specific input, everything is L2 + key, similar to how World worked with slinger/claw.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
If anything, a lot of the silkbind moves add more combos to think about, at least for some weapons.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Uh? No it's still the same. The silkbind moves are just specific input, everything is L2 + key, similar to how World worked with slinger/claw.
Ok, gotcha. The way I read your post made it sound like moves were now "binds". Probably just interpreted things wrong.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just got into HR6, and so far I still think MHW is/was the overall better game, but I really do like Rise. The Wyvern riding makes things a bit too easy though, imo. Watched a player obliterate Rathin while riding Zinogre, then have another player smash Zinogre while on Rathian. Zone design is good/bad, with Shrine Ruins / Frozen Isles being the bad, while the other 3 are good.

Edit: Also, Rise runs far far smoother than MHW, so its super nice to have such smooth gameplay with a group.

Last edited:

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Ok, gotcha. The way I read your post made it sound like moves were now "binds". Probably just interpreted things wrong.
Silkbinds is the name of the mechanic, it uses little insect shit with silk threads to use the moves, but they're standard moves, like L2+triangle will do one of the silkbind moves but otherwise it works the same way as before. They do somewhat behave like cooldown based skills, although they use a shared ressource instead, but yeah no keybinds specifically.

PC has almost all the content the Switch currently has and it will be in sync by the end of Feb. PC has all the major content though.
I didn't say it didn't, I said the main complaint I've seen about the game(the Switch version of the game, which I know is roughly the same as the PC version) is that they didn't add enough stuff. They did have more monsters overall though, but looking at it they kinda haven't added anything for over 6months besides bug fixes and event quests? Like they released a bunch of content at once in 2.0, then 2 new monsters in 3.0 and since then(late may) there's been no new content, just teasers of the expansion.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The summer xpac should be pretty large though, and I'm sure we'll all eat it up. =)

Edit: Can anyone explain the talisman crafting a bit? Will better stats become available at certain HR lvls? Right now, there isn't one I'd want to waste materials on to craft. Also, how decorations, will the better ones become available at higher HR?

Last edited:

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Loving this game - I got to HR 6 before figuring out where to buddy sanctuary was though so my village is still super low level... fucking whoops. Going from DB's to Hammer is pretty fun, and both are "boomer" friendly to an old fucker like me. Have fun in MP as well taking down some of the tougher hunts. A+

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
The summer xpac should be pretty large though, and I'm sure we'll all eat it up. =)

Edit: Can anyone explain the talisman crafting a bit? Will better stats become available at certain HR lvls? Right now, there isn't one I'd want to waste materials on to craft. Also, how decorations, will the better ones become available at higher HR?
Yes better decos unlock, the talisman thing is pure RNG and you get different ways to RNG them.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Really missing the items you could order from the Argosy in this game. Started with 200k, but that has dwindled fast with buying weapons / armors.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Loving this game - I got to HR 6 before figuring out where to buddy sanctuary was though so my village is still super low level... fucking whoops. Going from DB's to Hammer is pretty fun, and both are "boomer" friendly to an old fucker like me. Have fun in MP as well taking down some of the tougher hunts. A+
Do tell. have HR unlocked in the hub but kind of sucks when you want to solo. Easy enough to kill just takes forever (unless its a gear issue).

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
So I guess I "finished" the story, I assume that's why they added another ending in a patch later on, cause that shit just kinda ends randomly, credits and all and it really doesn't feel like the end but then nothing more unlocks in the village. Now doing the special mission stuff to unlock the hub levels so I can do high rank, at which point I assume it goes back to semi story kinda like how MHW did post game story bits? Just very weird, not that I expected a crazy story or anything, just feels weird it ends with absolutely nothing resolved at all, and really "early" too.

Gonna be changing my weapon to get into HR with new stuff, Switch Axe is pretty good though, I like most of the changes, the new overhead switch skill is great to increase mobility, the silkblind switch skill is alright, it's good to cut the jump from Element Discharge but using it randomly I wish it covered more ground, it feels very short for something sending you that high into the air.

Btw is there something like investigations from MHW to farm materials faster? Like how they had 3 additional loot boxes per, so you could get loot faster.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
So I guess I "finished" the story, I assume that's why they added another ending in a patch later on, cause that shit just kinda ends randomly, credits and all and it really doesn't feel like the end but then nothing more unlocks in the village. Now doing the special mission stuff to unlock the hub levels so I can do high rank, at which point I assume it goes back to semi story kinda like how MHW did post game story bits? Just very weird, not that I expected a crazy story or anything, just feels weird it ends with absolutely nothing resolved at all, and really "early" too.

Gonna be changing my weapon to get into HR with new stuff, Switch Axe is pretty good though, I like most of the changes, the new overhead switch skill is great to increase mobility, the silkblind switch skill is alright, it's good to cut the jump from Element Discharge but using it randomly I wish it covered more ground, it feels very short for something sending you that high into the air.

Btw is there something like investigations from MHW to farm materials faster? Like how they had 3 additional loot boxes per, so you could get loot faster.
Haven't been using your buddies on the Argosy? Been drinking so can't remembe what investigations did. Lot of ways to get more world drops, not sure about monsters outside of using biddies with Pilfer. Merc buddy missions too I guess.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Haven't been using your buddies on the Argosy? Been drinking so can't remembe what investigations did. Lot of ways to get more world drops, not sure about monsters outside of using biddies with Pilfer. Merc buddy missions too I guess.
Investigations were like you'd loot tracks/break parts from monsters and get limited supplies of purple quests for a monster, like say kill Nergigante quest and can redo it 3 or 5times, and you'd have 3-5boxes on them and the additional boxes would provide a chance at drops(and when tempered it'd be decos instead), so you could run Nergi investigations and get 5 drops per kill more basically. The buddies stuff only bring back shitty mats(I still send them cause why not) and I do have a thief cat to get additional drops but that was the same in MHW, Investigations was just more loot on top of that.

• 1Like