Monster Hunter Rise

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I really hope MHW2 doesn't include Rampage, I just don't find them fun to do at all. Sadly, if I want to upgrade some weapons, I need to do quite a few Rampages to find one with certain Apex mobs, which are part of getting those Apex mobs to appear as quests at hr100. Too many hoops for that.

Been failing Narwa over and over and over the past couple days. Not a single group I've joined has gotten it down to near death (blue capture icon). Its been well over 20 attempts, I think. Thankfully you still get some materials, so I've gotten my set of Spare Shot decos at least.

I still think MHW is the better game overall, but I sure do like the combat in Rise a lot more, the Wirebug is such a nice addition... please carry that over to MHW2!

You on PC I assume?

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Yeah lose all giant monster events/rampage etc. So tedious especially solo.

I like the wirebug solely based on it making hammer a bit more friendly on big monsters, but feel it makes fights trivial even with monsters in Rise seemingly being more dangerous.

I'm currently still wearing trash gear and haven't worried about carting at all (fighting HR8 mobs now) since you can just reset so easily with the wirebug.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Been enjoying the mobility of Insect Glaive a lot. I am hoping to unlock my super stab wirebug switch skill soon but I've been wondering if I should switch to something more direct like the Hammer. Why would someone do Hammer over Hunting Horn for example.
I switched twice already and probably will switch some more later on, really up to you what you play I'd say.

I'm on IG atm too, love the small changes, those new Kinsects that suck up 2 buffs at the same time make it so much better(even if they're slow as fucking molasses goddamn are they shit I'd kill myself if I had to use such slow kinsects in MHW). Can get full buff with just 2 hits and using the attack one usually makes it easy since white is usually wings/legs and orange is like belly/legs/back so fairly big targets, versus having to hit the head for red. I switched when I got to the HR needed for the skill though, the baseline silkbind skills for IG are absolute ass, but the switch one(wyvern dive or whatever) is really nice, although I miss about 3/4 of the time cause the hitbox isn't particularly big and it's hard to make sure you're right over the monster without like camera tracking and shit(which is annoying when jumping, maybe I should use the target lock thing).

But otherwise it's great, full earplugs and flinch free for free with the buffs is cool, high mobility, can do aerial shit which is actually not ass anymore unlike MHW, can also get decent KOs when attacking the head(it was more of a pain to do in MHW).

As for Hammer vs HH, personally I never liked Hammer, but the idea is Hammer has big combos for big dmg and all that, while HH is more simple moves but you get a lot of free utility and shit on top. Honestly the way HH is in Rise, I'd say Hammer is kinda fucking useless, but some people still like spinning and smashing and it does that.

I'm gonna do a bit more IG and probably try SnS or Long Sword next. Maybe Lance. LBG later I need to figure out what I need to farm for the right LBG, unlike other weapons where I just kinda pick random shit like Kamura weaps and fuck around with, guns need the right choice for ammo type. I want to go stickies most likely so I think it's Magnamos or whatever his name is, and haven't found him in HR yet(I guess next HR/urgent quest at the end of this).

I find the game is a lot more fun if you switch weapons every now and then rather than stick to a single one. Although some weapons I still don't care about(Hammer/Gunlance/Bow/HBG).

Leviothan

Trakanon Raider
Yeah that's been my experience too with the IG. I haven't got the Wyvern Dive yet which is what I'm hoping to get. I like the silkbinding moves mostly for being able to reset quick mid jump against stupid darting bitches like Mitzune.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Oh the baseline recover move is great, I meant specifically the 2 IG ones, one is literally just a jump for some reason, I guess you can use it mid jump to extend aerial chains(you're limited to 3 bounces in the air but the silkbind lets you get more) but I don't stay in the air that long so it's feels like a waste, and the other is a shitty evade+small heal which is the one that gets replaced and that one is possibly one of the worst silkbind skill in the game. The dive is nice on the other hand, does high dmg, can use it to cut tails really fast if you get a good opening and it's good to mount fast too to do the whole musical chairs of mounts shit for additional materials/dmg.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nola

Trakanon Raider
So I picked this up today. I was thinking going GS again like I did in MHW. But I was in the MHW discord and it seems that LS and ranged weapons are broken in MHR. Super overpowered. I don’t want to do lance again and I was thinking either trying Hunting horn, charge blade or switch axe. How are they compared to MHW? What are S tier and A tier weapons?

Last edited:

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
So I picked this up today. I was thinking going GS again like I did in MHW. But I was in the MHW discord and it seems that LS and ranged weapons are broken in MHR. Super overpowered. I don’t want to do lance again and I was thinking either trying Hunting horn, charge blade or switch axe. How are they compared to MHW? What are S tier and A tier weapons?
S is bow guns, bow, Longsword. Followed by hunting horn, great sword, etc.

i did switch axe main for a while, it does pretty good but it lacks cool offensive counters. Charge blade is really good because you can counter and instantly charge and use the big hit.

• 1Like

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Yeah that demo didn't do the game any justice at all. Having a blast playing it so far.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
I have spent 50 hours playing this and only today thought about being able to use two palicos for double pilfer <_<

It's pretty hot. Tons of buffs, heals, traps and ofc pilfer.

dumbdumb.jpg

• 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Yup now begins the search for the perfect duo.
Which is? Am I a dummy for still rolling with my palamute at HR 60?

Still enjoying this and grinding to HR 99 to face what I guess is the last monster in the game (until xpac). Finally got Anjanath gem for the legs yesterday after honestly like 40 fucking kills. Allmother was a pita in a group, so finally just solo'd it and it went a bit better (still tough for me). Is there a purpose to doing the green event quests or just continue grinding HR quests for parts?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I'm really liking Dual Blades in this one. Very different than playing the other weapons and it has taken a bit to get used to all the mobility. So used to being a slow plodding tank with a big weapon.

Like always there's 100 things that I need to go back and figure out. Basically paying no attention to all the nuances of Palicoes and Palamutes, Meowcenaries, skills, map unlocks. Just grinding out unlocking monsters in story mode. Need to spend a day figuring all the other stuff out.

Did a couple of Hub quests just to get that HR up but think it is only at 4* right now.

Need to transition out of the Guild Cross stuff and in to a mix set good for Dual Blades now that a few sets are open. But the base def of that stuff was higher than I could upgrade new equipment to.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Which is? Am I a dummy for still rolling with my palamute at HR 60?

Still enjoying this and grinding to HR 99 to face what I guess is the last monster in the game (until xpac). Finally got Anjanath gem for the legs yesterday after honestly like 40 fucking kills. Allmother was a pita in a group, so finally just solo'd it and it went a bit better (still tough for me). Is there a purpose to doing the green event quests or just continue grinding HR quests for parts?
  • Palico Type (slots lvl 1 and lvl 20): Gathering > Support > Healer > Fighter > Bombadier. Note that healer can be situationally better or worse based on your skill level.
  • Slot lvl 5: Go, Fight, Win > Healing Bubble > Mega Boomerang > Zap Blast Spinner > Whirlwind Assault
  • Slot lvl 10: Power Drum = Vase of Vitality = Summeown Endemic Life > Anti-Monster Mine >>>> Camouflage
  • Slot lvl 15: Shock Purr-ison > Shock Tripper > Flash Bombay > Fleet-Foot Feat >>>> Furbidden Acorn
TL;DR Perfect Palico:

Gathering Type

• Endemic Life Barrage
  • Go, Fight, Win (Healing Bubble or Mega Boomerang if you have no use for Go, Fight, Win)
  • Power Drum OR Vase of Vitality OR Summeown Endemic Life
  • Shock Purr-ison
  • Pilfer

I agree with above, Shock poison trap is the tits.
Spoiler for length.

• 1Like

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Think I'm good to go already as I did quite a bit of fishing early on. Got 2 of the left and 1 of the right that I can swap as needed. All run status/knockout/crit.

Usually get 2x sleeps per fight between weapon status/endemic life and then the buffs, heals and 2x shock traps. Pilfer and the gathering is obviously the biggest win though as they fill up the bags and nab me extra shit often. Only reason I got my Night Eternal crafted after 20 kills was the cats pilfering the part needed off of nargacuga.

cats.jpg

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah I got 2 like that too, no go fight win though(probably will look into recruiting one), 2nd one has just spinning top or whatever, and mine. Both with status and knockout, didn't take too long to find.

I'd assume if you're purely going for fast clears, attack or bombardier would be better though, but it's just a waste if you're not going for speedruns, running double gathering palicos adds so many materials every hunts(including chances for the rare shit). It's like in World I largely used the stealing tool cause it just added so many materials it just made grinding a lot faster, even if it wasn't the best for actually killing fast or safely. Now that you can get buffs/heals on the stealing palicos it doesn't even matter really. It's especially true now that even the basic shit materials like carapace/claw/fang/hide etc are still very useful to make talismans.

Dog is nice for leveling though, I used mine until I got to higher HR and wasn't running around gathering shit as much and started knowing the maps. You can move pretty fast with Wirebug only once you know where you're going and stuff so the whole running becomes redundant(it's nice to polish your weap while moving but you can get grinder decos to just make it super fast anyway) and combat-wise they're only barely better than palicos.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
If I was speedrunning I wouldn't even use a buddy. Don't want to mess with monster interaction by having them steal aggro.

Dog is pretty solid for status though tbh. The umbrella + blitz scroll is a lot of build up, but it's "useless" in a game where the currency is monster parts and trying to maximize it.

Once I got the sub camps I rarely rode on the dog anyway.

Oh and using felvine on cooldown with the palicos is solid as well.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Thing about status is you rarely will get 2 procs on the same hunt with just buddies from what I've seen so far, I think even if it's dog with status attack and umbrella unless the monster is weak to that type of status, and if that's not the case, it makes no difference if it comes a bit earlier or not. You can get more stuns though if you have knockout king and use the umbrella and get them to spin it in the head of monsters, but it's kinda hard sometimes.

Even with a status weapon and status attack the palicos don't really get that many status to stick anyway. It's largely when they use the first gathering skill that they get them, since they fire the equivalent of a toad, so you 100% get sleep/para/poison when they do that shit but it also makes their weapon/status attack irrelevant if they had the same weapon type. This is also what makes gathering so good, the first skill is actually really good too since you'll get a para or sleep(or both) every hunt regardless of them hitting shit properly.

But yeah stealing like 5-8mats every hunt on top of the usual stuff is just too good to pass up. A few mats weren't in the table in world iirc, not sure about this(tails and such), but even then it's still very worth it for talisman crafting or just raw money(in world I made a bunch of money clearing out materials every now and then, like you'd end up with 50 teostra carapace or whatever, sell 40 and you'd be able to fully upgrade a piece of armor and such).

Also I need to start using Felvine. I forgot about it after looking into it originally. Does it consume the actual felvine items or is it just the same name but not related gameplay wise?

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Nah it's just an ability without any sort of consumable. Like 2nd or 3rd in the action bar. Only thing that's annoying is forgetting to hit it before I take out my weapon =D

Nola

Trakanon Raider
So what weapon everyone has been using so far and how are they? I started off using GS then tried hunting horn and haven’t put it down ever since. Granted I just did my first Rampage quest which I hated.