Moon Knight

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
Is English not your first language or something? I mean even that weird fancy British kind of English?

The point of my analogy was not the word "first" (obviously). The point is that to outside observers, the person complaining that a tape recording of their voice "isnt what they sound like", is pretty fucking funny.

The point is, there're plenty of comparisons of US actors doing british accents, from the Mary Poppins guy or Kevin Costner basically not even trying as Robin Hood to Meryl Streep playing fucking Margareth Thatcher.

You can rank a thousand british accents by non-Brits from a scale of 1 to 1000, and Isaac's accent is worse then most (still better then Kevin Costner though 🤣 )

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
You're all forgetting though that he isn't supposed to be British in this TV series, he's the product of an unhappy American kid imagining he's someone else who just happens to be British, it's unlikely to be accurate. And maybe he had recently watched dick van dyke before forming the personality 😀

Last edited:
  • 7Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
Sure. Accent might be intentionally bad/goofy as a choice by the Writers/Isaac.

But that only makes Aldarion's claim that this accent is actually an accurate and faithful portrayal of british accents, but Brits are freaking out because it's the first time they hear somebody speaking with a brit accent, even more ludicrous.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Sure. Accent might be intentionally bad/goofy as a choice by the Writers/Isaac.

But that only makes Aldarion's claim that this accent is actually an accurate and faithful portrayal of british accents, but Brits are freaking out because it's the first time they hear somebody speaking with a brit accent, even more ludicrous.
this needs to stopped being brought up like it's some crazy speculation. it IS an intentionally awkward choice specifically by isaac. he's said it, a few others on the cast have said it, i think even fiege has said it. when they showed isaac the script, he read it in that goofy accent and it threw everyone off and they were like, wtf are you doing? then he explained it that this is an accent that someone from chicago, who has never been to england is doing. it's an accent that this guy (kid, as revealed in the latest episode) heard on tv a couple times and adopted.

it's exactly the same as what a whole bunch of american's did when mary poppins came out and their only exposure to a cockney accent was dick van dyke. so maybe it's more fair to say that he's not doing a british accent, he's doing an impression of Dr Steven Grant from Tomb Buster.

and aldarion isn't claiming that his accent is spot on. what he's saying is that there are a couple of accent aristocrats 'round these parts that JUST CANNOT WAIT to tell you how much of an expert they are on dialects and frankly it's pretty insufferable.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
and aldarion isn't claiming that his accent is spot on. what he's saying is that there are a couple of accent aristocrats 'round these parts that JUST CANNOT WAIT to tell you how much of an expert they are on dialects and frankly it's pretty insufferable.

That is not what Alderion said. He very explicitly said he assumes criticism of Isaacs faithful rendition of a british accent (quote: "this is exactly how you sound like") was a sort of nation-wide effect of voice confrontation.

After reading a few Brits complain about this accent I had an epipheny.

Ya know how the first time you hear a recording of your voice, everyone objects? Everyone always say the same thing: "I dont sound like that!"

But you do, its literally a recording, its exactly what you sound like.

Thats how this accent affects Brits. Its uncomfortable I guess. Hysterical from the other side though.

The argument makes no sense with an intentional comical voice. There cannot be an issue of voice confrontation (which is usually related to pitch, not accent, to begin with) if somebody hears a recording of their own purposefully changed voice, rather than their normal speech.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
How is this still debate going?

It's clear Aldarion was trolling and has probably never set foot on British soil.

Unless of course you count the landmass you fucking tea-tippers stole from us.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
How is this still debate going?

It's clear Aldarion was trolling and has probably never set foot on British soil.

Unless of course you count the landmass you fucking tea-tippers stole from us.
b36fea501640d76401c2be4bdf16c9a6.jpeg

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

spronk

FPS noob
I thought it was weird that hippo god didn't just say straight up "hey the scales aren't balancing cuz one of you is missing!", the episode focused heavily on the two being honest with each other but i woulda thought the goddess woulda known what was missing.

also can a foreign american get a job at the british museum that easily? whats worse at checking citizenship for government jobs, US immigration or brit

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
also can a foreign american get a job at the british museum that easily? whats worse at checking citizenship for government jobs, US immigration or brit

The guy has a bunch of fake IDs and stuff kicking around. I mean, that gets you so far but then you’d need a National Insurance number to get a job in somewhere like that so I can’t see how he’d fake that.

Interestingly though, for him to at least use the fake ID there’d have to be some kind understanding from Marc that he’s setting all this stuff up and then relinquishing control to Steven to have this “normal” life.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser

I'm not an aristocratic accent autist. Nor am I am an autistic accent aristocrat. Nor am I am an autistic accent aristocat

• 1Barf

j00t

The guy has a bunch of fake IDs and stuff kicking around. I mean, that gets you so far but then you’d need a National Insurance number to get a job in somewhere like that so I can’t see how he’d fake that.

Interestingly though, for him to at least use the fake ID there’d have to be some kind understanding from Marc that he’s setting all this stuff up and then relinquishing control to Steven to have this “normal” life.
well, marc seemed to know what was going on with steven. he kept telling him "you weren't supposed to see this." so i would assume that he's known what was going on for a while

Homsar

Of all the complaints about the show, complaining about his British accent is dumb as shit. It's a personality that thinks he's British. I'm enjoying the show but it's not about the superhero part at all and I get why people are would hate on it

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I thought it was weird that hippo god didn't just say straight up "hey the scales aren't balancing cuz one of you is missing!", the episode focused heavily on the two being honest with each other but i woulda thought the goddess woulda known what was missing.

The same goddess that was reading instruction cards as she went along?

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
To all you who have lost family members who saw this episode... I cried too.

Great episode.

Having a hard time figuring out how they will shoehorn this diablo third personality into the final episode without it seeming too deus ex machina and cheap.

...it's like people haven't figure out that Marvel just uses the comics as a vague reference source for their aims/whims. This is 100% about making DID relatable to a viewer without it... while entertaining you in the process.

• 4Like
  • 2Barf
Reactions: 5 users