Most underrated and overrated movies ever

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I also have wondered what percent of people that don't like the movie are without kids. The emotional impact of the movie, specifically the entire leaving his daughter sequence, and then when she pops up as an adult on the recorded message screen, and then when she sends the message accusing him of leaivng her on earth to die (something that affects him so much he is willing to risk ending the human race to go comfort her) destroy me.

If Tom just didn't exist than sure but that character disappearing from the film completely undermines the themes of parenthood and family both in the film itself and in the meta-narrative. He wasn't just forgotten about by his father - he was forgotten about by his very creators. "Let's tell this story about a father and his daughter and how their love transcends space and time oops forgot about the son/brother" hurts it's so fucking meta. It's why I can't give it a pass. "The filmmakers forgot about him too" makes it more fucked up not less.

Some members of that audience watch that film and see themselves in the boy no one remembered. The dynamic of everyone in the family going out of their way for one child while another always has to be the one to just suck it up isn't uncommon. Tom has dreams when we see him at 15. Naw kid, you're going to a farmer. He's tough! He doesn't need all that extra attention. He doesn't need his feelings looked after. You're going to do the necessary farm work for the human race to survive until it grinds you and your own family down to dust. You will be forgotten. There's no stasis chamber waiting for you and when your father does the impossible and somehow makes it back he won't even ask your sister what happened to you before running off to find his girlfriend. Thanks for that corn you grew until you died though.

I still like the movie but it's got this dark undercurrent in it.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
If Tom just didn't exist than sure but that character disappearing from the film completely undermines the themes of parenthood and family both in the film itself and in the meta-narrative. He wasn't just forgotten about by his father - he was forgotten about by his very creators. "Let's tell this story about a father and his daughter and how their love transcends space and time oops forgot about the son/brother" hurts it's so fucking meta. It's why I can't give it a pass. "The filmmakers forgot about him too" makes it more fucked up not less.

Some members of that audience watch that film and see themselves in the boy no one remembered. The dynamic of everyone in the family going out of their way for one child while another always has to be the one to just suck it up isn't uncommon. Tom has dreams when we see him at 15. Naw kid, you're going to a farmer. He's tough! He doesn't need all that extra attention. He doesn't need his feelings looked after. You're going to do the necessary farm work for the human race to survive until it grinds you and your own family down to dust. You will be forgotten. There's no stasis chamber waiting for you and when your father does the impossible and somehow makes it back he won't even ask your sister what happened to you before running off to find his girlfriend. Thanks for that corn you grew until you died though.

I still like the movie but it's got this dark undercurrent in it.

I completely agree with you. They really fucked Tom in the movie. Like you said, he didn't really need to exist. The plot about Tom being stuck on the farm, not wanting his kids examined by the doctor for lung disease, none of it really added to the movie, especially that far into the movie. The earth plot alone with Murphy and Brand Sr, and her finding out that Plan A was never meant to work is more than enough, and she could have been so upset and somehow found the watch while throwing out dad's things, or something like that?

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
The dust bowl lung I expected to go somewhere but I think that's about where Tom drops out of the movie? It's like there's this big scene missing with him and Murphy back at the super science society where they have an emotional breakthrough as Tom lowers his walls but nope.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I hated Interstellar the first time I saw it. I've seen it quite a few times since, and now think it is one of the top sci-fi flicks out there.

Come at me!
Rewatching it multiple times allows for picking up subtle things you miss the 1st time taking it all in. I have grown to like it more after rewatches.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Speaking of dumb scientists, remember when she was a Nuclear Physicist? Named Christmas?

latest
Yeah, but do you remember the whole point of her being named Christmas?
It was so Pierce Brosnan could say "Christmas came early" at the end of the movie.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
tenor.gif

underrated

Oh man my wife and I were just talking about this a couple of days ago when talking about people who were in movies we'd never expect to be there. So great. I sat there that for half the movie going "Who the hell is that, they look so familiar!"

Welcome to the goodie room

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
A nomination for Best Actor in a Leading Role, which already makes him part of a pretty small group of people. Also, to get an Academy Award, you need to be good, in a good part, in a good film at the right time.

I am going by production year as it matches for Lost in Translation.

Meatballs -> Dustin Hoffman in Kramer vs. Kramer
Caddyshack -> Robert de Niro in Ragging Bull
Ghostbuster -> F.Murray Abraham in Amadeus
Groundhog Day -> Tom Hanks in Philadelphia
Rushmore -> Roberto Benigni in Life is Beautiful
Lost in Translation -> Sean Penn in Mystic River
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou -> Jamie Foxx in Ray
Moonrise Kingdom -> Daniel Day-Lewis in Lincoln
St. Vincent -> Eddie Redmayne in The Theory of Everything

The funny thing about some of these, is while I can understand why Hanks won for Philadelphia and Penn for Mystic River...Groundhog Day and Lost in Translation resonate with me far more to this day than either of those two films/performances that won. The Benigni win is whatever.

On the subject of Tom not needed to exist in Interstellar, I had totally forgot until rewatching it again recently that the whole meme of him crying while watching the messages over 23 years while he was stuck down on the ocean world was all the ones from Tom, telling him about grandpa dying, having his first kid, etc.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Oh man my wife and I were just talking about this a couple of days ago when talking about people who were in movies we'd never expect to be there. So great. I sat there that for half the movie going "Who the hell is that, they look so familiar!"

Welcome to the goodie room

The scene starting ~1:45 in that clip makes me lol no matter how many times I have seen it.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Would it be nearly as good if it wasn't Tom Cruise doing it? Thats a major reason I laugh so hard at it.

• 1Like

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Would it be nearly as good if it wasn't Tom Cruise doing it? Thats a major reason I laugh so hard at it.

The shock value of it being Tom Cruise is great, it's still funny as fuck on its own, though.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I had no idea it was Tom Cruise until I saw the credits. Was still hilarious.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I enjoyed Equilibrium well enough. The before John Wick reference is a bit weak. The movie's fight style was more similar to "The Matrix" which had come out 2 years prior to this movie. Even the movies uniforms were Matrix like. I wonder if that was actually was what hurt the movie, having the fight scenes feel to familiar to "The Matrix".

• 1Like

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Rolling back to the Bill Murray thing, he really was two different people/actors over his career. When he lost his shit during the making of Groundhog Day with Ramis and shut him out of his life, his persona and career went a completely different trajectory. Without Wes Anderson, I think Groundhog Day might have been the last good Murray movie. By all accounts, Murray was a huge pain in the ass to work with during his early years (most of the classic Chicago SNL cast were) and Ramis was the guy who could keep him on track, which is why he is involved in nearly every one of Murray's classic hits. Its great Wes Anderson found him and gave him a renaissance as an actor, but you are basically seeing a different actor and different person in a lot of ways.

As far as Nolan goes, he is a great movie maker who does better with budget limits, for sure. Like someone else said, he fumbles endings a lot in an effort to get to some zinger he has in his mind. Worked great in momento, not so much in Interstellar and Dark Knight Rises. But there really are not a lot of directors who are able to do blockbuster movies at his level and consistently be commercially successful, so I would not call him underrated.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users