Mr. Robot

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I am in the mind that this whole show is a delusion. Big fuck you to the audience. I hope they have the balls to do it

Mid of season 2:

"SORRY, THAT WAS ILLUSION. I PROMISE NO MORE SHENANIGANS. PINKY PROMISE."

That would be very, very stupid and I really doubt that they'd take that way out. Not to mention that within the show itself, we are obviously shown other character's perspectives on things that Elliott couldn't possibly be aware of. Like Dom's late night bean flicking while listening to Alexa, her meeting with White Rose as the Chinese government minister, and so on. It's not straight up Fight Club where basically the entire show is from the perspective of the two split personalities.

But fuck. MAYBE DOM IS ELLIOTT TOO!

People who thought Tyrell was dead and/or Elliott are bads.

I am guessing that Elliot is just on the board for the sake of being related to her sister and he happened to be good at hacking. They had a number of E Corp employees who had no connection to direct cause of hacking whatsoever on the board as well.

It could well be that the board as shown is only partially "real". Like, Dom had some loose connections here and there and suspected certain people were involved, like Elliott, but was basically throwing shit at a wall and letting Darlene see it to see what kind of reaction she'd get. I didn't freeze frame and analyze the whole board, so I'm not sure how accurate it was or if there was any intentional misdirection on it.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Idk why they would specifically put Elliot in the center if that were the case. It's been a while since I saw the first season, but they shouldn't have anything to connect him to Tyrell. And it isn't like he would be known for being the world's best hacker, he's some guy with serious mental problems who hacked his therapist's boyfriends email. At best they could assume he was a member of fsociety, but I find even that hard to believe. They didn't even want to prosecute him for his hack. But he was prominently figured on the board.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I'm with chaos on this one. Have no idea how Elliot is that central to everything. Unless the government was involved with the Silk Road thing from the beginning and based on Elliot's performance there they were like "wait a minute..." Even then, that's a stretch for the viewer.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
The only string they have connecting Eliot to F-Society is that he's Darlene's brother. But yeah, that's a stretch.

You wouldn't suddenly go after Fred Hitler as the leader of the Nazi party just because his brother Adolph does some really evil shit.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Idk why they would specifically put Elliot in the center if that were the case. It's been a while since I saw the first season, but they shouldn't have anything to connect him to Tyrell. And it isn't like he would be known for being the world's best hacker, he's some guy with serious mental problems who hacked his therapist's boyfriends email. At best they could assume he was a member of fsociety, but I find even that hard to believe. They didn't even want to prosecute him for his hack. But he was prominently figured on the board.

Only Tyrell even knew Elliot was doing all of it and that was because he had seen multiple actions going on and had the technical expertise to understand what was happening.

My only guess is that the fat guy talked to the police or whatever and brought it up. But that also wouldn't explain how he's working at Fry's right now with the Iranian girl if they were even suspected to be in connection to the 5/9 attack.

So yeah, it really doesn't make much sense for them to even suspect Elliot is a part of it at all. Mainly because his crazy is a perfect cover and he has little control over Mr. Robot who just hides when he thinks he's in jeopardy.

elidib

Vyemm Raider
Am i the only one who thought it was obvious that they do not actually think elliott is at the center of it all, that it was just a ploy by Dom to flip darlene by threatening the one person (now) that she cares about?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I think that would be one hell of a coincidence. They have the entire conspiracy, beat for beat, up on that board.

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
On the white board Elliott is connected to Gideon through the work he did on the e-corp server farm, and Angela's ex / FBI informant Oliver through the disk recovery place that burned down. He is also an ex-con that was in prison due to computer crime and theft. There is no text connecting Elliott to Tyrell on the board, but there is also no text connecting Gideon to Tyrell. The connecting lines could be from Oliver saying that they talked or worked together at All Safe. Elliott also went to Tyrell's office. I am guessing there was a sign in log or visitors pass he had? Maybe they have security footage from when he and Tyrell had lunch at Steel Mountain?

As for why he is in the middle, it is where he fits. Angela and Joanna's bodyguard are also in the middle of the board. Elliott is between the f-society and All Safe groups, but also connected to Tyrell.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
Bros, how about this theory.

Elliot is trapped in a mental institution. His hacking is through local institutional library, his sister is assisting from outside. Occasionally visits him and makes plans with him or go along with his fantasy. Tyrell is his insane roommate. He escapes the institution. Mental institution is using detectives to find things these hackings and plans.

E Corp is the institution.

I mean who the fuck calls a corporation "Evil Corporation." The whole thing sounds made up.

(REFERENCE TO SHUTTER ISLAND).

Also, they fucked us in mid season 2.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I think that would be one hell of a coincidence. They have the entire conspiracy, beat for beat, up on that board.

After the multiple suicide assassin attacks all resources would be aimed hunting a Chinese hacker/clandestine organization. Dom may have fiddled with the board. But certainly not that much.

Seriously, the absolute only connection any law enforcement had to Elliot was the people following Angela which we later learned to be Dark Army people and not FBI like was presumed. Which tanks the theory again. If they even thought Elliot was part of it like it seems they'd just talk to him while he was in jail for the past three damn months.

Really incomplete season.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
They almost certainly have evidence Tyrell knows Elliot, they know Elliot knows Darlene, and they know FSociety was involved.

They shouldn't have any evidence linking Tyrell with any other FSociety member, other than through Elliot (though Mobley worked in an E-Corp bank branch).

The complicating factor is when/how they know Darlene is FSociety. If they've known that for a while, then Tyrell working with Darlene through Elliot puts Elliot in jail forever, even if they somehow think this benevolent white hat hacker somehow had no idea of what his sister and friend were doing and was not FSociety himself. But when (and with what certainty) did the FBI know that? That's a lot of puzzle pieces to slot together that is solely based on Darlene being FSociety, which we have no evidence the FBI knew for more than a day or two, right?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
They almost certainly have evidence Tyrell knows Elliot, they know Elliot knows Darlene, and they know FSociety was involved.

They shouldn't have any evidence linking Tyrell with any other FSociety member, other than through Elliot (though Mobley worked in an E-Corp bank branch).

The complicating factor is when/how they know Darlene is FSociety. If they've known that for a while, then Tyrell working with Darlene through Elliot puts Elliot in jail forever, even if they somehow think this benevolent white hat hacker somehow had no idea of what his sister and friend were doing and was not FSociety himself. But when (and with what certainty) did the FBI know that? That's a lot of puzzle pieces to slot together that is solely based on Darlene being FSociety, which we have no evidence the FBI knew for more than a day or two, right?

If anything they would presume that Darlene is related to the Dark Army since her BF was just murdered by Dark Army assassins and Dom was right there when it happened. Never knowing Darlene at all before this. Finding the camcorder led Dom to think that Darlene was fSociety but the real connection should have been that fSociety was just somehow part of the Dark Army. Why was the Camera used for their V for Vendetta videos in the BF's apartment anyway?

The guy in the hospital was fSociety but they had no way of knowing that Darlene was the connection when they were looking for the BF (name was Shawn right?) in the first place.

I just can't shake that the FBI would be giving serious thought to FSociety at the moment when like a dozen FBI agents were killed by assassins they KNOW to be Dark Army. It would be their absolute top priority and FSociety would be auxiliary to that. Because after the attack Fsociety basically went into the wind and destroyed as much evidence as possible.

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
If there is one thing cops love, it's letting criminals get away with economy shattering crimes.

spronk

FPS noob
all i know is its going to take some god tier writing for any of this shit to make any sense, and while I am not ready to say its Lost yet I don't have much hope. I imagine the writers room was like this

"wouldn't it be awesome if the bad guy was a chinese army general and their plan is to cripple America and capitalism?"
"you know what would be even cooler? What if he liked to cross dress as a woman!"
"... wait, why would the chinese army put a cross dresses as the head of"
"and it would be even cooler if he had ninjas who executed whoever the fuck they want but committed suicide if they got caught!"
"but wait why"
"and then they all decide to follow a random teenagers plan because fuck it why not!"

The whole berenstain (alternate realities), power plant (cloning / AI), and Tyrell hanging out in NYC while basically being Osama Bin Laden is gonna require some extraordinary writing to pull off.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I wonder how much of Cisco's stuff the FBI already had after the shooting, and whether or not it led anywhere. He was hacking Angela, and might have had connections to Darlene and Elliot that they could trace (other than being with Darlene at the diner). Also I'm less annoyed with the idea of Tyrell hiding out in NYC (other than randomly stepping into Elliot's cab on the street) if he's had the full support of the Dark Army the entire time.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Fuck dude. Darlene had the entire FBI tapped. Cisco had no part in any of that and may not have even been aware of that. Cisco was feeding the Dark Army information on Darlene however.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Fuck dude. Darlene had the entire FBI tapped. Cisco had no part in any of that and may not have even been aware of that. Cisco was feeding the Dark Army information on Darlene however.
He knew, he referenced the femtocell in the chat client with the Dark Army, implying that they had tampered with it.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
"wouldn't it be awesome if the bad guy was a chinese army general and their plan is to cripple America and capitalism?"
"you know what would be even cooler? What if he liked to cross dress as a woman!"
"... wait, why would the chinese army put a cross dresses as the head of"

How many people know that Whiterose and Minister Zhang are the same person though? He seems to keep the two pretty very separate. Aside from his assistant, I don't think we've ever seen anyone interact with both. Anytime he's met with Price, it's been as Zhang (including when they were on the phone and Whiterose still used Zhang's deeper voice). As far as we've seen, he mostly only dresses up as Whiterose when doing Dark Army dealings.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I have found myself multiple times going back and watching the "Python Strategy" scene where Darlene is shown the board. The Moth & The Flame song was just perfect. Show may be a mind fuck, but they hit a grand slam with the soundtrack/presentation.

Love this fucking show.